Harmonic Balancer

I have been told powerbond is the best. I have a romac and rumour has it they seperate at high rpm.
also, dont get suckered in to beleiving that an XY to XF will suit the 144 170 200 221. They dont. There is approx 8mm difference on the offset.
there is also a place in NZ. that does gilmer belt setups.

Ben

Hey Ben any more details on the Gilmer set up from NZ? Trying to track down a good balancer or a gilmer belt drive for my 221

Cheers

I know what won’t fit, Endeavour Engineering do the Gilmer, i am doing a supercharged motor, cant see revs going over 5500, thanks for info, there is a guy that chemically bonds them overnight for about 120 down under. His don’t come apart. Only found out that info last night

8mm difference? plllffff. Whats 8 mm among friends, a John Player Special Smoke, or a Fox body vereses XR Falcon water pump.The three common small 200 six water pumps worth about 30 ping on ebay differ by that much. Its simple to shift the ancillaries forwards or back to suit.

Dudes, time for some edumacation.

https://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 99&start=0

when the Aussie 250 came out, they changed the stock 200 small six water pump details, and when the EA and EF came out, same thing. The crank snout is the same, though, and its as easy as falling off a log to rig up a blower without all this glimer drive NZ schtook.

FoMoCo's engineering was good enough to have Alan Jones AJ6 development mule running a supercharger off an EL balancer.

The EF balancer is factory, cheap. and bomb proof, and fits an early 200. You could put a Jeep 258 or 4.0 serpentine belt drive on it, and fit any supercharger on you'd like

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70720
xctasy":29uscf8n said:
I think you'd benfit from talking to Broncitis and baldrick, two M90 supercharged cars, one a 200 early Bronco (think six cylinder 2 door Range Rover) and a 250 powered XK Falcon. Each has done the work. And the Turbo, Supercharger and Nitrous forum...... viewforum.php?f=22

See the Baldrick and Broncitis M90 Supercharged engines.

Just use the EF Balancer and stock serpentine drive, and make the changes to use the stock gear. Its not rocket science...

baldrick's posts http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56560
http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 65#p482065
Broncitis early bronco http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=52505
Broncitis early bronco album http://s717.photobucket.com/user/bronci ... t=3&page=2

The later model Dual or Triple pulley water pumps for Fox 3.3's ran the same length water pump as the XW-XF, 4-1/2" (or 114 mm), and the US 250. .

pumphieght.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo of the later Fox water pump on the left, verses the earlier Round body 144/170/200 water pump (same as Aussie XK/XL/XM/XP/XR)

All the early Us 60-pre US 250 and XK-XR stuff was 4"(101.6 mm). The Aussies then did add some 5/16" (8mm) relief work with the tall deck 188/200/221/250 engines. The early balancer scrapes the sump, practically, and when its upsized to 6-7/8", it was too close to the cork gasket at the front part of the sump. RTV has fixed all that.

The US 250 lead the way to the 4-1/2" long water pump, and to make it easier to swap all the ancillarry drives, the small deck US 200 then got equiped with a 4-1/2" pump, a different kind, but 4-1/2" none the less.

earlydamper.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo.
The early stuff on the US 1960 to pre US 250 engines used the common approx 6" balancer as was used on the XK-XR, it is all set back, right hard against the engine blocks sump.

latedamper.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo.

The Fox three grove used the same size balancer, in the same postion, but with a triple pulley system, and it was set right back 5/16" (8mm), with the sump relieved to avoid it rubbing the balancer.

There were therefore 5-3/4 and then 6-1/4" small six versions.

Its the Aussie stuff that was set forward 5/16" 8mm.

This ^ is balldrick's photobicket shot of the AussieHB1432N balancer requires a little work on the water pump pulley it the stock water pump is used. .

If you are able to use the larger Aussie noiminal 6-7/8" (174 mm actually) balancer, it just requires an 5/16" metal spacer to shift everything from the water pump into alignment.

The distance from the crank to the water pump on 9.38" deck 200/250 engines is about 6-7/8", so the biggest balancer you can run is 6.85" (174 mm), and the largest water pump pulley before collision is the 6-11/16" (170mm), with just a 3/16" (4.8mm) gap.

On my 81 3.3 Mustang, there is 6" from the water pump to the crank centreline, and the same 3/16"gap between the 6-1/4" harmonic balancer and the 5-3/8" water pump pulley. When you go up to the 6.85" harmonic balancer, then you have to go down to a 4-25/32" water pump pulley at the most. And for sure, the harmonic balancer is 5/16" further out than the stock 200 blancer. But you just add that in a metal spacer, or scratch build a water pump pulley to suit.

rickwrench did a nice 5" twin belt pulley for his short nose 4" 200 water pump.

You have to make one even smaller than this, with ribs to suit the kind of serpentine belt you are using. Due to the portrusion, without an added spacer, 1.9625" (49.85 mm) is as deep as you can go from the front face of the pulley to the back if its machined this way, as the 200 water pumps lower radiator hose interfers,

http://www.v8alfa.com/images-sounds/pulley.pdf

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9676

It's just a case or reworking what is there to suit your application.

As for pictures, I've got bucket loads showing the minute differences, but what is above is enough.

My next engine build is my supercharged 200 so while i am building it i am making permanent mods to this motor that can carry over to the new one. My manifold bloke is going to supply the pulleys as well as manifold, i can get a new balancer and set it up for a crank trigger (thats what i am using) EMI ignition system, the balancer will be chemically bonded by a bloke in Australia. For cooling i am going to ditch the fan, either remove the impeller on water pump and drill out the snout and fit a small welsh plug, a lot of the six cylinder guys on in my Facebook group page use Davies Craig EWP water pumps and mount them on the bottom outlet of the radiator. I will do the same. For now i am removing the engine fan, installing the EWP pump and controller. So i can ditch the water pump pulley all together, change the alt pulley and maybe pick a few HP, by sorting the cooling system now, it will make it a whole lot easier than having all these things fresh and new, to much to go wrong when doing the complete motor, auto, new diff, tailshaft plus being a supercharged motor so may just run it aspirated to bed the cam in then install the 142,

All good, glad your moving forward.

Good fortune with the 142 Blower and DC EWP.

I guess its inconsequential that the Endevour Engineering system for pre cross flows will also fit you 200 as long as you use the cheep long nose US 200 water pump with a4-1/2" snout to fit, and the crank blancer they use fits the 200 as well. The belt just has to be about an inch shorter, since Ford didn't add all the 1.577" deck height increase on the later Aussie tall decks in the water pump alone.

503769.jpg

The http://www.endevourengineering.co.nz/41 ... 38662.html

I would like to use Gilmer style for the blower pulleys but i think the kit will have serpentine style pulleys.

xctasy":29edy805 said:
All good, glad your moving forward.

Good fortune with the 142 Blower and DC EWP.

I guess its inconsequential that the Endevour Engineering system for pre cross flows will also fit you 200 as long as you use the cheep long nose US 200 water pump with a4-1/2" snout to fit, and the crank blancer they use fits the 200 as well. The belt just has to be about an inch shorter, since Ford didn't add all the 1.577" deck height increase on the later Aussie tall decks in the water pump alone.

503769.jpg

The http://www.endevourengineering.co.nz/41 ... 38662.html

Whoa! Does that sepentine belt kit fit a US 250? :eek: Is there any provision for a mechanical fan?

Thank you,
Bob

62Ranchero200":2ipdmik1 said:
Whoa! Does that sepentine belt kit fit a US 250? :eek: Is there any provision for a mechanical fan?

Thank you,
Bob

:unsure:

No, the bottom balancer might not fit the US 250 harmonic balancer bolt pattern, but the water pump is similar, and should fit. There is no mechanical fan provision, but its not hard to engineer one, as long as you have space up front.

With a 1-1/2" Glimer in a Round Body Falcon Ranchero, I doubt it

Back