VECI Basics From Ford

Stormin' Norman

Departed Member
Alldata's VECI labels only go back to 1982, AutoZone's for the 1978-1979 Fairmont use a lot of 2.3 - 4 banger diagrams.

BUT this document gives all the basic diagrams and the best Non-Geek Speak explanation of every emissions system device known UP TO 1968.

PLUS, it gives complete and clear VACUUM Issues Diagnosis for all the I6 and V8 engines, both for Manual and Automatic transmissions from the 170 CID and up to the 300 CID sixes and all the SBF and BBF V8s.

Its kinda like that book, "Everything You Wanted To Know About He-ing and She-ing", only the pictures are in black in white!

http://www.mustangtek.com/Library6/Vol- ... -5000.html

The basic VECI Diagrams start at page 31 but the details on them start on page 29.

And while you're there, check out the other menus as well as all the Ford TECH and Sales books. Most are in PDF format.

http://www.mustangtek.com/LibraryFordTech.html

http://www.mustangtek.com/index.html

I found the site looking for VECI diagrams using the part number on an old label.

Since mine started out as a Mexican-built V8, it didn't have a VECI label. When I swapped in the 1978 freshly-built 200 CID. it's label was NFG, and now that I'm changing to tri-power, I know I won't find one! LMAO!!!, but some of the vacuum circuits make sense, because I also have the factory AC, which uses vacuum to not only operate the vents inside, but also manage the IDLE and advance to keep the engine temperature within limits.

FALCONAROUND":ck6y5x64 said:
Thanks for the info :)

You're welcome.

I have those rigid nylon stock tubes in their various colours, but I really don't want them, so I went to NAPA this morning and bought their old-school 5/32" ID rubber/nitrile hose (16 feet of it) because I thought of 2 solutions and they had a third one. First, I figured I could get some cheap ink or rubber paint and add a stripe for the different emissions circuits. If you look around, you'll see some VECI labels after 1980 with colour-coded circuits. Like RED to the Distributor, or White to the air cleaner, etc.. I tossed the stripe-painting away, because the colour would fall off.

Next was going to a dollar store and looking for craft supplies with small coloured rings. Tossed that, because that plastic will turn to powder with the header heat.

So I'm walking out of NAPA, and I see this small cable-tie kit for $7.00 and the guy I was dealing with told me to look under the clearance rack - $5.44 with over 100 pieces! All the colours I need Black, White, Green, Yellow, Blue, Red and Orange. Some cars with Cruise control use a Brown vacuum tube, and the 4-speed stick doesn't need a black tube to a tranny modulator. :mrgreen:

So I'll get the Cable Ties on at each end of the hose segments, by their designed circuit.

What I have to do for my own tuning needs is make up my own VECI Hose Diagram and use it to route my system, to take advantage of those 'coolant temp' vacuum valves to control both Distributor Advance and AC operation. I'll put all the tuneup specs on this label for both the single Carter YFA, and the Tri-power Carter YF carbs at each end, spark plugs used, gapping, mechanical advance, and initial advance with RPMs and AC-ON/AC-OFF RPM.

There is another solution, but I don't know if any AC repair shops carry them. All the AC vent control hoses are colour-coded much like the under-hood vacuum hoses. Hit the junkyards and dig under a Ford model vehicle's dash if it has AC. They aren't very long, but they can handle the usual vacuum range, and they're flexible enough. I just don't know if they are resistant to chemicals, gas and oil, like we find under the hood.

Vehicle Emissions Control Information=VECI, my favorite.

One other option is to use Japanese style hard lines, basically double flared bundy tub like the metal fuel line to the 1946 Holley carb on Fox i6's. . You pin stripe it watever color, and use a small amount of stock emmission hose to link it to the stock x31 junction's (1=A/CL, 2=A/CL DV, 3=A/CL BI MET, 4=A/CL CWM, 5=ACV, 6=AIR, 7=AIR BPV, 8=BV, 9=CARB, 10=CPRV, 11=DIST, 12=EGR, 13=EFCA, 14=FLTR, 15=FPR, 16=IVV, 17=MAN VAC, 18=MAP, 19=PVS, 20=SOLV, 21=SV-CBV, 22=VAC, 23=VCKV, 24=VRESER, 25=VREST, 26=VRV, 27=V CK V, 28=VRDV, 29=TVS, 30=TVV, 31=PURGE CV). See http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/77996 ... onyms.html for the breakout on those 31 items.

That's why most of the Japanese stuff lasted so long. Fords weren't ever as good, since running hard tubes for each year most likely would have bankrupted Dearborn.

My cleaning van is one of those ancient forward control 'death traps', but it has a 2Y OHV headed 1832 cc engine with color coded steel hard vac lines, and it stll energizes all the emission circiuts for its JDM emmissions system.

I used to build Mopar Hemi fuellers with my dad back in the 60s and 70s, Dad had a new 1966 Impala, and mint 1958 Crown Imperial with the LY1 392 Hemi. He hated tuning the Chevy because of the additional emissions stuff, but he loved tuning that big Hemi, so few vacuum lines. No gas mileage either, but he always kept his eye on the rear view mirror to keep the Corvettes back there. :eek:

Anyway, a couple years later he bought a 1968 Chevy Impala, and almost actually swapped the 307 V8 for a 283 V8, just because of the emissions fungi. It was back then that it got a bad reputation. The pumps and plumbing an lower compression were not as efficient as the mid-70s vehicles.

I figured that manual (link I posted above from MustangTek), might be handy for members dealing with pre-1968 versions of the I6 Fords.

Do they number the emission components as you have, down under? Thanks for the info on VECI acronyms.

A few NB// Note Wells on Aussie emissions systems.

From 1972 (with the advent of Australian Design Rule ADR27), Australian emissions regs were always stricter than Europe and Commonwealth contires, but a watered down copy of US practice. Emmission regs down here were in lag behind Japaense, US 49 State and California emiisions standards. Its important to note that all our ADR27A engines from July 1976 to October 1980 only had to run on Leaded Super 97 Octane very high lead content gasoline, but the imported 318/340/360 engines from Chrysler, and 4-cylinder Mitsubishi engines were all designed for US 83 to 87 octane standard gasoline. Our import Saabs, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Ferraris were US market low compression unleaded spec engines that were able to run on leaded Super gasoline. Our DeTomaso Panteras, Longchamp and Duevilles were 9.4:1 Aussie Spec 351C's, and our Ford Lazer Sport Twin Carbs and GLC 323 GT's ran 10:1 compression twin carb European engines with emiision equipment, but ran on Super 97 leaded. That means Australian 1972 to 1985 Ford six inlines need US 95 aki fuel to run without detonation. From 1986, all Aussie sixes can use US 87 AKI fuel

It wasn't until 1986 that regulation ADR 37A forced Ford Australia to finally follow 1975 US and 1986 European Union US 87 Octane/European 91 octane unleaded air pollution regulations, and even then, they used two way catalysts and didn't use full feedback systems on the carb 120 and 131 bhp 2-bbl X-flows, they were MAP and TPS controlled by EECIV untill 1992. They even had carb heater baseplates on some versionS.
There was movement to TFI igntion in 1985, and a locally made Bosch version of Fords Duraspark ignition in October 1980.

The Pinto 2000 engines in Australian Cortinas missed out on the European Cortina 80 Mark V Bosch Durapark since Ford Australia still had 1973 US emission certification for the Cortina 2.0 liter engine without electronic ignition..it was a Pinto 2.0 spec low compression 8.2;1 engine in the Automatics, but 9.2:1 high compression in the manual. The auto lost 5 hp over the manual.

For a time between 1981 to 1985, New South Wales had ratcheted up to more strict than US 1973 air regulations, so NSW state stock 120 hp 3.3 and 131 hp 4.1 X-flows for those years propably meet US 1974 US Federal air emissions

Our Aussie engines followed ages old US IMCO (IMproved COmbustion) practice, while the for a time in the US, it was only the CA state I6 that followed with additional Thermocator practice. Our Aussie sixes never got air pumps. All had EGR from July 1976 onwards.

You found Item 3, Green DVCV2 port PVS vaccum switches

And Item 2, Blue TCVV 3 port vaccum switches

and Item 5 (no letter suffix) the Black SDV Spark Delay or Vaccuum delay valve.

Our I6's didn't use all 12 devices listed below, but there were 12 generic systems between the Pinto 2.0 auto, manual and 3.3/4.1 X-flows from July 1976 to October 1980. These allowed the engines to meet US FMV 1973 emissions regs, what Australia called ADR27A.

If you count the letters, there are actually more than 12 systems, but based on the pictures, you'll see they are exact duplicates of the US Pinto 2000 and similar to 49 states US IMCO from the leaded fuel emission era of 1968 to 1974.

The emissions control eqipment list is from my Australian market Ford Cortina TE 1977 handbook.

1,2,3 and 4 =

5 and 6 =

7= EGR =

8,9,10 and 11 =

12 =

Back