Gasket problems?

RancheroBoy

Hey guys, I got something that might be a problem causer for me. I was finalizing my bottom end today, (yay! :LOL: ), But as I was bolting on the oil pan with the cork gasket and the Stainless bolt kit we got gave us it's own specific torque specs (which were less than stock), and they said in large print to use theirs. So we did. And when everything was torqued the torqued on gasket was compressing and bulging outside o the block. Am I okay? Or was the gasket a bad gasket? Thanks.

It's easy to over-torque the oil pan. First, you need to make sure that the pan is not dished at the bolts. It usually is after 40 years. Lay a straight edge along the edge of the pan and check. If you find that the bolt locations are dished, you need to press them back out to where the pan is actually straight. Use a bending pliers or sandwich the lip between two pieces of wood and press it back down straight. Then you need to use gasket sealer too.

And then, don't crank it down too hard or you will dish the lip all over again. And no, the gasket should not belly out between the bolts.

A film of 'copper spray' or 'high tack' type gasket adhesive dried to tacky helps keep soft gaskets in place while low torq' tightening sequence is followed. Silicone RTV use can cause oil pan gaskets to slip out, inspect the Oil Pan itself for any previous over tightening warpage ... .

have fub

The torque numbers for the bolts were like 2 or 3lbs under. The pan is also not dished at the bolts. The gasket just looks like when you put too much ketchup on your sandwich and you put the bun on and it ooses out the side. We also did use a gasket sealer, can't remember the name of it, something to do with airplanes in the name. :/

RancheroBoy":1f8hbddu said:
Hey guys, I got something that might be a problem causer for me. I was finalizing my bottom end today, (yay! :LOL: ), But as I was bolting on the oil pan with the cork gasket and the Stainless bolt kit we got gave us it's own specific torque specs (which were less than stock), and they said in large print to use theirs. So we did. And when everything was torqued the torqued on gasket was compressing and bulging outside o the block. Am I okay? Or was the gasket a bad gasket? Thanks.

To answer your question on the pan gasket since you used the Aviation type gasket sealer even if the gasket is bulging slightly. I do think even without seeing a picture of your install that your probably going to be OK. Good luck :nod:

:rolflmao: RE:Ludwig.Not me.I was using those products 60 years ago.Hehehe.Yeah,I know.I`m an Old Fart.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Back