Valve train pissing me off.

Well I'm going to pop my valve cover open myself and see what's going on under there. I drove it the other day and I noticed that it's leaking oil from the head. Almost like its not being sealed properly to the block. Could this be because my head wasn't planed and its backing off of the block? Or could it just be a faulty gasket? Just when I thought I had only one problem another one comes up. I have the classic inline adjustable rockers with the 1.5 ratio. As far as the valves and pushrods I believe they're the stock D8 head ones.. Now the underside of my hood is completely splattered with oil. I'll probably be taking the valve cover off tomorrow and see what the damage is. I have the money to buy the proper tools it's just a matter of seeing what the damage is. Now I have to spend money on a rebuilt head, but like xcstasy told me I should've followed the 7 Ps. That ford six manual couldn't have come sooner I'm still waiting for it in the mail. My next plan was to install the T5 tranny but I guess it'll have to wait. I have everything except starter, throw out bearing, and the mounting brace for the t5. And shorten the driveshaft.

Oil on the underside of the hood is evidence that the engine was revved with the valve cover off.
Ask me how I know. :rolflmao:
Valves were probably being adjusted by your mechanic with the engine running running?

But the oil is leaking as I drive the car. I cleaned up all the oil when I got it back and the oil is still spilling out the underside of the head.

68_sixpeashooter":28n7u9ng said:
Now the underside of my hood is completely splattered with oil.

'hood" or "head" :unsure::

Perhaps the head was not torqued according to specifications.
There is a sequence involved, and it's worth checking again after the engine has been run.
Also, there can be a concern with the head bolts bottoming out if the head has been shaved.

Well the motor ran good for the first 500 miles. Right after I changed the oil and filter is when everything went to s**t. I haven't been able to identify where the leak is coming from but by the looks of its somewhere in the front timing chain cover. Since the oil is flying off the front it's heading the fan and oil is just flying on my firewall and sway bar etc. And the motor mounts are holding oil on the grooves from both sides. So I assume that oil is coming from the head since the bolts might've backed off the block. Life is happening to me right now so I haven't been able to work on it. I ordered some tools off the snap on truck since I get a 50% discount on all tools. It's also been too cold outside and since I don't have a garage I'd rather not be out there for now. I will keep you updated on what I can figure out. I'm still expecting that ford six manual. No mechanic is touching my baby anymore :nono: unless it's a machine shop.

68_sixpeashooter":3dib05mj said:
Well the motor ran good for the first 500 miles. Right after I changed the oil and filter is when everything went to s**t. I haven't been able to identify where the leak is coming from but by the looks of its somewhere in the front timing chain cover. Since the oil is flying off the front it's heading the fan and oil is just flying on my firewall and sway bar etc. And the motor mounts are holding oil on the grooves from both sides. So I assume that oil is coming from the head since the bolts might've backed off the block. Life is happening to me right now so I haven't been able to work on it. I ordered some tools off the snap on truck since I get a 50% discount on all tools. It's also been too cold outside and since I don't have a garage I'd rather not be out there for now. I will keep you updated on what I can figure out. I'm still expecting that ford six manual. No mechanic is touching my baby anymore :nono: unless it's a machine shop.

Take the belt off the fan and start the engine and look to see where the oil is coming from. I'd think you should be able to find the leak.
Remember with no belt there is no coolant being pumped so,.....don't run it 5 mins like this.

:unsure: If the front of the engine is being splattered by the fan slinging the oil all over the under side of the hood and engine,I would look at the timing cover seal.Also,check to be sure that there is not a groove worn in the damper snout.If there is,get a repair sleeve kit for the damper and replace the timing cover seal.
Finger tight the timing cover bolts,and then slide the damper on,and THEN gently torque the TC bolts to proper specs.That should stop the leak.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

So I found out one push rod is loose when I took the cover off. It looks likes its missing something where it contacts the rocker arm.

Not sure if its a problem but my rockers had an oval shaped plate under the bolt on the front rocker pedestal, think it may block an oil gallery? If so, could be causing your oil leak at the front of the motor?

Yes, you are missing the cover plate on that first pedestal. It should direct the oil to a hole on the bottom forward tip and shoot it down towards the distributor gear. You should be able to fab one easy enough.

looks like something going on with that rocker adjuster or pushrod.......will not be able to tell without pulling it apart.... also need to get the cover on the front pedestal oil bleed.

So it's been a while but I finally got my problem fixed! It wasn't easy but finally I got a fresh motor. The shop that originally built my motor ended up putting my crankshaft on back wards! Shake my head! And the shop didn't offer a warranty. I found a reputable shop that stands by their work took my motor there. When the 200 was opened up it turned out that the crankshaft the was all torn up so I got it replaced. The oil pump went bad from metal shaving that were blocking oil pressure which is why my oil pressure always read low. Rocker arm pedestal was missing. I had to remove the Motor myself to take it to that machine shop. I was surprised by how many metal shavings were found in the oil pan and pump. Everything else is good. I even got a 50k mile warranty. I'm glad I got the work done for a decent price. Cost me about $320. The guy even recommend me I go get my motor tuned at a chassis dyno. Seeming it has a bunch of upgrades. It's such a headache but I'll try to get it eventually. Right now my biggest problem installing the motor to the to the bellhousimg and torque converter. But that's for another post. I have an engine leveler and cherry picker but I can't seem to perfectly align the motor to the motor mounts and flex plate without the converter slipping out of the bell housing.

Back