[250 CI AL] Holley 4160 465 CFM carb experiences?

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

Am currently using a Holley "500 CFM" 2-V carb; performance is excellent, but fuel economy leaves something to be desired.

Am considering trying a 4-V, with the hope that economy would improve because only the primaries would be in use at part-throttle and cruise, and that performance would be as good or better than the 2-V once the secondaries opened. I'm not ready to cut the shock towers out of my '62 Falcon Ranchero, so if I can't find a 4-V that will fit, will abandon the idea.

Was looking at the Holley 4160 465 CFM - can anyone share their experiences with this carb?

Although I have a 250 with the aluminum head, I posted here because I want to hear from anyone that has used this carb, whether for a 200 or if it was somehow adapted for a cast iron head.

Thank you,
Bob the Builder

I would use a 600cfm 080457 Vacuum Secondary Carb , save money gain power ( and fuel economy over the 465 ) the Secondary will only come in if and when needed, those Volumetric efficiency charts are ok , but Very conservative, there was a time I would swear by them , then after years of Drag Racing , and street Builds , I run as big a carb as it will take ( tested at a drag strip , NOT a Dyno !! ) I run a 750 Dbl Pumper on My Brother 306 inch Small Block , it is a 10th quicker a 1 mph faster than the 650 , which was faster than the 600 , Dont use a Double Pumper on a Mild street Build ANYTHING , they can be made to work , BUT will NEVER give any MPG Benefits ,an Edelbrock part Number 1406 is also a good choice

There are a lot of options. Smaller carbs are quite expensive in some cases, but they normally help fuel consumption. They are harder to tune, all Hooey carbs with small venturis and big throttles are 'bitchy'...PVCR, jetting and secondary spring and accelerator pump cam, and dialing up the secondary circuit a hair to get a good idle, it takes time. The 2--bl are the one you have problems with when your cam duration is big, its very easy to get poor idle quality, but easy to get good performance out of a 500 2-bbl. When you go to 4-bbl, idle can be much better, and cruise mpg can improve quite a lot. That 2-bbl is always a dead cet for good performance on a 250, though. If your looking for economy, the right 4-bbl will surely give it to you.

I'd look at wcol's Edelbrock 4-bbl in his 65 Mustang T5. It lookes like a better fit in the engine bay. You have to cross check with Classic Inlines CI head pictures as well.

The 600 can have its secondary springs changed to suit, its oaky to use it.

If there is a 465 around, go for it if you like the cost. There is 335 hp hiding in that carb in a 253 V8, we raced the pants off those little things in Aussie i6 and V8 oval track, they are great.

On a 250, a 650 double Pumper also works exceptionaly well. Don't forget, 85 Mustangs used them for Group A race cars, and mad e390 easy flywheel hp. On an cross flow six (same cfm figures as your head becasue of the huge 1.73: rocker ratios and lift of our cams, similar good quality intakes these days down here, just like the CI), they can take you to 350 to 425 hp.

As for fuel use, its all a matter of power valve channel restriction, proper carb placement, and the 600 vac sec is better on this than anything. The 390 and 465's need a little more time spent on them, a 600 gives good results right out of the box.

On a 250, any 4-bbl will work better than a 2-bbl in idle and progession, you do have to feel a soggy bog, that's how vac secs are set up, and that's what makes economy. I've got so much X-flow related stuff from former racer Kevin Bartlett, he said any of the dubious 4-bbl intakes were a good option, and a nice 600 with a soggy secondary bog would give the best results.

I am testing a new 465cfm Holley and there is a couple of issues I had. 1st was it was jetted to lean in the primaries and it has no vacuum provision for the pcv valve.

I had to remove the C.I. carb adapter so I could drill & tap it for a vacuum nipple.

I also had to lengthen the part of the carb where the throttle hooks up because it wasnt a long enough "lever" to provide WOT.

I only put 20 or so miles on it in December so I cant help you out any more than this.

Later,

Doug

After receiving feedback from some experienced engine builders, I'm going to try the Holley 600 CFM 080457 with vacuum secondaries. There's an aluminum version that's $313 at Summit, which is (as @fsd noted) about $100 less than the 465 CFM.

The Edelbrock 500 CFM 1403 looks interesting, but I'd have to modify my fuel line more extensively and also modify my throttle cable bracket to make that work.

As @mustang_geezer noted, the 465 CFM doesn't include a PCV fitting so I'd have to drill the CI carb adapter for a fitting; and IIRC the 465 also comes with a hot air choke, requiring fitment of a hot air tube (I already have an electric choke working on my Holley 2300); and there were a couple of other minor issues. The 600 CFM has a fuel inlet position very close to that on my Holley 2300, exactly the same throttle position, a PCV fitting, an electric choke, and should work reasonably well out of the box, although I will do some custom tuning if my wideband indicates that tuning is needed.

Am hoping that the 600 CFM primaries give me a smoother idle and better fuel economy at cruising, yet the secondaries also give me more HP at WOT, since the dyno runs I did with the Holley 2300 seemed to indicate that the 250 needed more air.

Will report back after testing the 600 CFM.

Thanks
Bob

Very curious to see how this works for you...I planned on running the same 500 cfm Holley you did, but I still haven't started building... If you have better luck with the 600, I may skip straight to the 4V.. Good luck!!

Bob, on your 4412-500 carb you might want to drop from the 8.5 power valve to a 6.5. That will bring the power circuit in at more throttle opening.
I forget what was installed when the metering block was replaced.
That would help your fuel mileage if you keep from using the power circuit till you get your 600.

Back