Exhaust crossover - priority on sound

XMFalcon221

Gday guys,

Am just starting to make a dual 2 1/4 exhaust for my Falcon which will have a fairly cranky, high compression 221. I have searched for opinions on exhaust crossovers but most replies are focused on performance and for V8 applications, not our small 6.

This car is only an occasional driver and will be overpowered anyway so what I am after is an aggressive sound, not gaining every last HP.

Anyone's experience with sound characteristics going from no crossover to a system with H or X-pipe would be greatly appreciated. Interior droning is not a problem as I wont be doing long stint highway driving.

The exhaust will be 123 - 456 split pacemaker headers with 2 1/4 collectors, 2 1/4 dual system with thrush welded mufflers

Cheers

The X pipe will reduce some of the droning sound.
Look at BMW, Mercedes & other imports & they all seem to use the X pipe design.
I'm sure they do it for noise, but a major auto manufacturer must also see a gain in low end torque.
Make sure you post the final mod after getting the car on the road, V/R Bill

XMFalcon221":2kog67xz said:
Gday guys,

Am just starting to make a dual 2 1/4 exhaust for my Falcon which will have a fairly cranky, high compression 221. I have searched for opinions on exhaust crossovers but most replies are focused on performance and for V8 applications, not our small 6.

This car is only an occasional driver and will be overpowered anyway so what I am after is an aggressive sound, not gaining every last HP.

Anyone's experience with sound characteristics going from no crossover to a system with H or X-pipe would be greatly appreciated. Interior droning is not a problem as I wont be doing long stint highway driving.

The exhaust will be 123 - 456 split pacemaker headers with 2 1/4 collectors, 2 1/4 dual system with thrush welded mufflers

Cheers

:unsure: In my experience an H or X type crossover will lower the total sound of an exhaust system (mellow it some) vs not having one. Good luck

I heard a story years ago that to work out where a H should go is to put chalk on both pipes and where it burns off the most is where to put it.
could be wrong but............

Thanks guys,

To keep my options open I reckon I will make the exhaust with a h-pipe in place, then cut it in the middle and fit a flange plate on either side. Then I will be able to run it as a normal h-pipe or unbolt the flanges, slip a blanking plate in between to block off the crossover and see how it sounds as a divorced system.

When I finally get the old girl back on the road I'll let you know how it works out, cheers (y)

I my experance X or H pipe dosent make much differance. What I look for is H pipe crosover should be the same dia as the main runs. An X pipe or H pipe choice look at which system would have the most and or tightest bends the system with the least usally does best.

turbo2256b":1b765870 said:
I my experance X or H pipe dosent make much differance. What I look for is H pipe crosover should be the same dia as the main runs. An X pipe or H pipe choice look at which system would have the most and or tightest bends the system with the least usally does best.

I'm with you turbo.

It'll probably take me a long search which I haven't got time for, but that was my conclusion. Without any cross over, it still sounds good, though.

This info was done to death by Offenoakee Comete (discontinued user now Guest) and was111 about 10 years ago. Mustang_Geezer and MustangaRoo weighed in as well. The response has been Classic Inlines systems. The anti drone bigade who have shyed away from big singles started with Jack Collins, and the sweet sound merchents have just gone to the K code exhaust, and then added the X or H. Its the pictures that are important, and the sound clips.

The set up that works is indeed the one that communicates between the left and right pipe, without any high headloss. The X or H is whatever you come up with.

I love the way wsa111 lookes, and Offenoakee Cometes sounded.

Sadly, the sound clips have dropped off the list, but I can tell you, a dual pipe 2v headed I6 is just fine, and if you add a good X or H, it will cut the drone down, and make it even sweeter.

Its all into what you want.

I actually think the Argentinians have got the whole exhaust thing sorted out, it may be the triple Webers drowning out the exhaust, but even a log head 221 or ME188 or SP221 without any X or H pipe sounds absolutely wonderfull...they almost sound as good as an E49 Charger or an 265 Hemi Hamilton Jetboat.

type in todo Falcon and video in google, and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJTE2ZV_hQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM6iphL17JM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljXQ9CJouEo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11968544

Back