thermostat

mluck

going to install a new water pump and thermstat this spring...any idea on the best thermostat out there...motorgraft,mr.gasket,etc...also 160,180.190?

Unless You live in Alaska, or one of the Upper Northern states ( although these single number Pa days have REALLY been Sucky ) I would run a 180 , and if it does not come with a bleeder hole / valve I drill a 3/32 Hole to allow air to escape on fill up , orient the hole to a 12 O'clock position , Brand wise is up to you

Ask to see different brands of the same thermostat at your parts store and you will be surprised at the difference in quality. Cheapest to the best is a matter of peanuts really. If you check them out yourself and look at them closely, you will likely pick a favorite based on the quality. The good ones will have a jiggle pin in place already so you don't have to drill them. I always use 195° thermostats unless there is a reason not to. Warm engines are happy engines. :beer:

I see you live in Minnesota. If you use your vehicle as a daily driver go with a 190-195 thermostat.
If you use it mainly from may till September go with the 180 degree.
Stant offers a premium thermostat & that would be a wise choice.
I totally agree with FSD on drilling a air vent hole at 12:00 o'clock, but .060' is a good choice.

Back