250 "Freshen Up"

I personally say don't deck. But that doesn't mean you can't.

FalconSedan Deliver took off 120 thou from the block, and 120 thou from the head of his 11:1 compression ratio 170 closed chamber tri power 250.

I'd just get some 6.00" 2.5 Taurus conrods, they are 120 thou taller than the 5.88" tall center to center Ford 250 rods. Its valve to piston clearance that Ford Dearborn was worried about, when adding a greater 470 lift cam, the 250 piston to valve clearance was to liitle. The old Ak Miller solution was Jahns Forged 200-250 pistons, which were deep dish.

Ford Australia just went to a Jahns style cast alloy deap dish piston. 12 to 15 cc's, or 22 to 28 cc in the later X-flows.

I'd track down some of those 2.5 rods, and get a custom 100 thou copper head gasket made via a CNC electrical good machinist, on the old head gasket pattern.

Thanks for the pointers X but I am on a budget and this is a daily driver. I will get the block back today and start bottom end assembly (y) . The head will be ready Thursday, it got a light skim, hard seats, and new guides. I'm into this build for a total of $1,030 not including new plugs, oil, antifreeze.... I will have met my goal of improving the rated 99hp and the ability to run on 87 octane and hopefully keep around the 17mpg I was getting with the current 250. My next couple weekends are loaded up already so it may be mid April before I see if the 250 in the Falcon will start one last time for a short trip up my driveway. The last time I started it it ate some more pieces of the burnt piston or ring or both...ting ting ting clatter clatter KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK gasp :shock: :thumbdown:

Got the block back yesterday. They forgot to deck it :x Its going back today. I did drop the crank and one piston in it to remaesure and comfirm a .060" shave. They installed the cam bearings is that going to be a problem for the decking or just mean extra cleaning when i get it back?

:banghead: Bummer the cam bearings should not be a problem will be the same cleaning of the block before assembly. But be sure to also clean out the oil passages real good with rife bore brushes, solvent and air etc. Good luck :nod:

Back