Valve tip wear on Stainless steel valves.

65-coupe

The valves in my Alum head are just over a year and a half old. I have about 5000 miles on it since I installed the alum head. They are suppose to be stainless steel valves. If this wear keeps up I will have to replace the valves in about 2 years or less. I am running the Yella Terra roller rockes. They is no wear issue on the rollers. They look perfect. Only one valve tip looks normal and has a different magnetic feel to it. They are the valves that Classic Inlines installed. Any one else have this happen?

I thought valves were designed to rotate as they cycled up and down?
i.e. there shouldn't be a wear pattern in only one spot.. it should be evenly worn across the whole top.

Yeah it surprised Mark from Mustang Monthly and me last night when we looked at them. Only one of them looks they way it should be. Not sure what would keep them from rotating.

Not that we noticed. They cam I was running was the 264/264 110 with a single spring and damper. Which is good my the cam and bigger. I will be running the 274/274 110 in the new build.

I heard the ford valves are the best. Thats why I hesitate to change valves in either of the heads I have. Other than maybe swapping in old 144 intake valves for the exhaust, you have to rely on what you're getting, it's an unknown. What's your spring tension?

I dunno man, that's what the valves look like in all the small blocks I've done with roller rockers... Sure it's not normal?

:unsure: Looks like the spring retainers are the solid type,not the rotator type.The rotator type are generally used on the exhaust valve only.All though they can be used on both the intake and exhaust if desired.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

You might have an oiling problem where the oil just shoots over the rocker arm & just hits the valve side of the valve cover.
There are several way to fix this condition using a deflector to direct the oil to the fulcrum area of the rocker arm.
FSD has an easy fix with the lash caps, but you might want to look into the oiling deal.

CoupeBoy":1mk9b3iy said:
I thought valves were designed to rotate as they cycled up and down?
i.e. there shouldn't be a wear pattern in only one spot.. it should be evenly worn across the whole top.

Not all that well if the valve rotator retainers are not used.

Back