Best Family 4x4 Platform for 200ci & Alum head

MPGmustang

1K+
VIP
okay... this might take some explaining...

I posted the 'best build for bronco' thread and came to a conclusion on the engine... with the drive train setup... i6+c4+transfer case+4.56 gears on 35/36inch tires (or 4.88 on 37's)
that will 'stay the same'... what is changing is really the vehicle itself... from a bronco to a ????? IDK. which vehicle would best suit my 'master plan'?

okay so here's the short story, the bronco is too small for my family...

little longer.... my family is 1 kid (maybe 1 more) and 3 dogs (1 large 2 medium)... so lets say 4 people and 3 dogs... the bronco won't fit a rear seat AND 3 dogs...

Longer.... bringing my family along is really the 'main point' of my vehicle, I want to do 'expidetion' type vacations, no super destination, just a 'lets go explore' type attitude... we will have an expedition type trailer, we like our 97 4runner, it has the doors, and the dog space, it's a fun vehicle... but if I say swap the i6 in there for 'myself' cause 'i can' and 'I want to' fact... if I do, then it might not pass 'emmisions' as I'm sure the DMV would love to hear how I put 1960's tech in a late 90's rig... it just won't pass... so, here's my dilemma, which vehicle would 'pass' and which vehicle is most 'practical' for this scenario... I'm up for anything, so let the conversation start...

I know this is the 'small block' forum, I'm sure I could ask more 'technical' questions, but as basic as it is, I'll move it later (or another mod will) hopefully after I have some help...

I'm not afraid of IFS, or solid axle...
modern amenities can easily be added... I'm thinking vehicle space... I hope I didn't through a crazy question for you all... (cause I got more...)

If your up for a big build project then how about a Falcon / Comet or Fairlane Station Wagon converted into a 4 x 4. You could slide a pickup or later style Bronco or other 4 x 4 chassis under it. The early ones 1960 to 65 Falcon / Comet would be smaller then a Fairlane and the 1966 up Falcons. Good luck :nod:

Not a Falcon but this is one of the first Ford 4 x 4 Station Wagons

http://silodrome.com/ford-marmon-herrington-4x4/

Your talking to a Kiwi here, we do car meets SUV and 4x4 ALL THE TIME!

The safest bases are IFS independent suspension without torsion bars, and coil spring live axle or IRS.

best lowest cost base is a Montereo/Triton/L200/L300 Delica 4 x4 base, and slap a Fox Fairmont body on it.

If its got to be pre clean air act, then a 96-2002 Exploder base is actually the lowest cost chassis to use, but it has a very risky rear suspension. If you were to take a wrecked Exploder, you could add a Jag IRS to it, and run it under a 112" wheelbase body. The 1978-1983 3.3 liter 138 teeth flexplate C3 Bordeux bellhousing fits the 5r55n transmission, then the 1965 3.3 fits the Explorer. The best body for this is is the 1965 Falcon.

Pre clean air act, re-engineered suspension, original engine, no problem.

what aboot this?
Find some Scout (70's-80's with disk brakes) axles and swap them under.
1960 ford falcon van - $500 (Marshall)
00505_bVyZ6hguRQ5_600x450.jpg

It could be just like one of those cab forward Toyotas.. or this Volkswagen.

Oh, you want crazy.. we got crazy... :rolflmao:

hehe... look what I found...

X what do you mean any 'pre-clean air act' 96-02'... wouldn't a 97 toyota 4runner fall under that category?? I thought If i remove the emissions crap, it won't pass visual... and I also thought the OBDii if present from manufacturer still has to be there...

everyone else... the 90's have emission crap too, which has to be there I thought...

Rocklord, the earliest explorer is 90's... ?? I personally like the 2nd gen 4runners...

Does10, I've seen those, they are HUGE!!! would a tiny i6 be any good in that? lol

I'm so confused...

Oh, no vans, I think they ugly... seriously ugly... but was a good laugh..

It is a little blasphemous but what about a Scout II or a Traveller?

Those 4dr Broncos have always intrigued me. Lots of custom body work though.

Why not a later (post 78) full size bronco? It should be quite a bit larger than the early bronco. And you could get one just old enough to be exempt from emissions.

The car engine (Mustang 65 3.3) and chasiss (unibody chassis, Falcon 1965, Station Wagon is best) is updated with Explorer suspension, steering, and Jag IRS.

You'd cheat...within the pre Clean Air Act 1965 rules

okay, looked at the falcon station wagons, none really catch the eye... except one, it almost looked like it could 'use' the bronco grill, and bolt right up. would be kinda cool to do that...

X, I'm following now. that would make it a really nice to ride in, I'll have to look more into that. especially if it can handle 35/36 inch tires, they are heavy.

this emissions crap... it sucks...
I have found that Globe AZ, and Show Low AZ don't have emissions required on ANY vehicle, no checks either... I might have to get a mailbox or relative over there and register it there... then I can have any car with any engine... might be 'cheaper' if I went that route.

oh man... I think I found a platform...
http://thewagonway.com/wp-content/uploa ... specs1.pdf

This one is the fj62, the fj60 is close to the same thing... it's 'smaller' than a full size, and still fits the family...

I'm not too thrilled on the front solid axle on leaf springs... prefer the float axle the bronco has... worst case is a EB frame and fj60 body...

Okay, more research...
emissions, requires the same year engine, or newer to pass visual... what is the 'newest' i6 block availible? was it the 250ci up to 85 or so?? or the 200 died at 83... so I'm looking in those years.. unless the 200ci was EFI at a later date but I don't remember that...

Pre 1966, all Unibody Fords had 4x4 size wheel bases and tracks, they got a lot wider with the 1966 Fords. Post 65's are stil,an easy swap on to a Toyota FJ LWB chassis.

The FJ60/62 platform is heavy and safe if you take care with it.

Our 1971-1973 XY 4X4 250 Falcon pickups got people started on 4 wheel drive Unibody Fords with underpinned chassis.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8575/167 ... d6f80a.jpg

There are plenty of 250 Fairlane sixes and Falcon wagons which have the 114.3" FJ 60 chasis under them.

http://powercars-br.blogspot.co.nz/2011 ... -ford.html

Problem is, unless you can go to a Ford pre 65 engine and pre 1965 chassis, then sometimes fitting a post 1965 Toyota chassis means everything else needs to be brought up to more modern emissions and DMT stiplulations.

With the small Toyota SR5/4 runner chassis, you can fit a Ford six real easy, and put on Hilux Surf 4 Runner N60 84–89 103" chassis. N120/N130 90-99 103.3" wheel base , n180 96–02 105.3" wheelbase, SW4 03-09 109.8" wheelbase.

Just gotta find the right Ford unibody chassis with the same wheelbase and track.

I just look at all the X bodies, there were 18 of them, and try find a good example without too much tin worm, and then a cheap 4 x 4 chassis.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automoti ... ariations/

Dynamically, and cost wise,a 1960-1965 Comet 114″ wb; 55″/56″ track or Fairlane 65 or Falcon Wagon /65 3.3 Mustang engine/Junked 96-01 Explorer with Jag IRS will absolutely take everything to the cleaners off road, for a good price, but, you know, You gotta have a Want To to make anything work.

Saftey wise, IRS makes a boarerline torsion bar IFS truck with rack and pinion steering an exceptionally good on and off road machine. I was this close to putting an 83 XJ-S IRS in my 1998 Exploder XLT4.0 SOHC. The Jag IRS is 100% American made, and the best IRS you can get for the money for an off roader, you have axle ratios from 4.27 to 2.88, and inboard discs and a kick a$$ tough IRS carrier that all 68-86 Jags shared. And its designed for an over 2 ton Jag or Daimler

I went on a bronco run, was very fun... took my 5.0 HO 75 bronco and it was a champ... but I didn't really need much 'pedal' so to speak... and if I had bigger radiator with elec fans, I bet AC could have been turn on the whole time...

I'm very much considering stretching the bronco body... 15 inches after the drivers door... not add a 2nd door though...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/975 ... -proj.html

also would extend the full top too...

I've read everywhere that the fj60 chassis is just not the most comfy of a ride... most like the IFS and RLS setup, even looked at possible twin I Beam front suspension...
I'm comfy with the current setup on the bronco, I might even convert the RLS to the bronco front Coil suspension with a pan hard... for comfort...

I've also been thinking alot about height... the i6 would be better in a 'lower' CoG vehicle, and a stock bronco has a fairly good setup... but I really like my 2.5inch SL on my 75, so I'm thinking it could do without a BL... making it more difficult to work on it.. but ... better drive.

a stock bronco would be 92inch wheelbase... a 97 4runner has a 105inch wheelbase... that's 13inches... I've even contemplated using that frame setup on the bronco but don't know if that frame can handle the bronco body weight... and the width... EB is 58 inch width axle and the 4runner is 60inches... I don't mind the extra width... I think it's all correct... still looking.

As long as it inspires you, and meets your goals, and those of Mrs MPG, then its all good.

A quarter of a century with Mrs X for me, and even though shes a heretic Toyota gal, she was right behind me getting the Stang.

The EB Bronco should have been the US Range Rover 4-door, just like the Mustang should have been the 260Z 2+2 coupé, like Edsel Ford II said back in a 1981 interview.

Ford started something in the Bronco that shouldn't have to be finished by us, but hey, the top brass at Ford always were smart enough to make sure that other car lines didn't eat into successful ones. A 4-door EB Bronco would have impacted on existing F series chassis design, and become the 4-door Ranger/Bronco II based Explorer 25 years earlier, and downsized the whole SUV market.

I'm honestly thinking the bronco is the best platform... just leave the dogs behind lol...

another thought would be, front bench seat, 3 ppl, and rear area has plenty for all 3 dogs or more. and pull the trailer along with gear...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ild/page24

some more food for thought.... there's alot that went into this bronco link... alot of thought, and it's not even done yet... grrr...

Back