77 250 head on 67 200 block?

So I'm looking at picking up a 77 250 head with 2 bbl conversion to put on my 67 200 block. What kind of work am i looking at getting done on the 250?

Run the numbers with a new gasket to see what your CR well end up being. Too low and you could end up with a dog that breathes well....

Check the head for cracks. Have the head log brazed up in the carb. flange area so it can be milled & then it will be able to accept an adapter for a 2 bbl carb with no mounting leaks. This brazing normally requires pre-heating the head to prevent cracks prior to brazing.
If the head has not been milled, take a .060"-.075" cut to get the chamber size down to 50-52cc's.
Install larger valves & install hardened valve seats for the exhaust.
Port the intake bowl & exhaust bowl areas for improved flow.
I normally use the Victor head gasket cause it seems to seal better than the felpro & is .004" thinner compressed.
Done properly you will spend about $800.00 to do a superior job.

I put a '76 250 head from a Granada on my '66 short block. Here is what I found:

1) The T/stat housing on the 250 has a larger outlet than the hose on the 200 engine. So you'll have to use the 200 t/stat housing, which is no big deal because the bolt holes spacing is the same.

2) the water temp sender at the rear left of the head are different. The 250 sender/hole has larger threads ( 3/8" vs. 1/4" I think) but the electrical post on the 250 sender is smaller so the stock connector in the harness won't fit on that post.

The only other things you might want to address in additions to Bill's list: are the valve springs matched to the cam? are the valve seals in good shape or need replaced? does the head need a valve job?

Back