How many teeth should the flywheel ring gear have?

Cali65

Hello all

How many teeth are supposed to be on the ring gear of a 65 mustang 200 3 speed manual. My starter Benedix gear never has made a pleasant sound against the flywheel ring gear when starting. One day it wouldn't start I pulled the starter and found the Benedict gear and flywheel ring gear are destroyed. I looked up a ring gear on orielly auto parts website and they offer a 132 tooth ring gear for a 65 mustang. I have a spare flywheel from a 66 mustang and if I counted correctly in the dark with a flashlight it has a 137 tooth ring gear. The starter from the car has 9 teeth on the bendix gear so I'm wonder if I this car has had the wrong starter or ring gear installed on it. I plan on taking the trans out and counting the teeth on the ring gear. But I will have a new baby at home any day now so I won't have time for a while to work on it. Thanks in advance for any insight and advice to my questions.

Forgot to add that my 65 originally came with a 170 ci motor and the previous owner had a rebuilt 200 ci put in it by a shop.

Cali65":314dm25o said:
132 tooth ring gear for a 65 mustang. I have a spare flywheel from a 66 mustang and if I counted correctly in the dark with a flashlight it has a 137 tooth ring gear

CoupeBoy":314dm25o said:
Should be 136.

Yep, 136 for 66' and later 9" flat flywheel, and 132 for 65' and earlier 8.5" recessed flywheel.

Good luck!

Thanks for the added thread Coupboy that article has a lot of info but also makes me have more questions lol . Thanks for the pics Frankenstang, i believe I have a a 8.5" flywheel because of the way back of it is rescessed and not flat like the 66 flywheel spare I have. So theoretically I should have 132 tooth ring gear. But really won't know untill I pull the trans out. The oringinal 170 ci engine was replaced with a rebuilt 200 ci with a 66 small log head and a 78 block out of a Fairmount per casting numbers. I don't know what year or style bell housing it has until I pulled the trans out when I'm able to do so.

1) In MPGmustang thread it's metioned that auto and manaul trans starters are different by number of mounting bolt holes. Does the difference in number of mounting bolt holes only apply to a 66 mustang, cause that's what MPGmustang has in that thread? The chewed up starter in my 65 has 3 bolt holes and the car is a 3 speed manual 2.77 trans. All 3 bolt holes line up fine with no problems but I still may have the wrong starter for the flywheel?

2) In the same thread Mustangsix metions the nose cones on the starters are different with one having a "short nose" by 3/8" and the other having a long nose cone. Does this apply to a 65 mustang as well as a 66 and if so which one do i need for a manual 2.77 trans and 8.5" flywheel n132 tooth ring gear. I know that this will involve me measuring replacement starters nose cones to see which one has which since rebuilders these days just slap them together.

3) also with looking at starters which bendix or spur gear will I need for a 8.5" flywhell and 132 tooth ring gear? That's talked about in the thread as well as the some of the different year starters having smaller thinner teeth than others.

Thanks for all the help and pics you guyshave given me. I'm trying to geat a head start on this so when I'm able to take out the transI will have a better idea of what to look for. be patient with my response time Im having to sneek from woking on baby related things :LOL:

Back