exhaust manifold

looking to replace the exhaust manifold on a '67 Mustang 200 ci. Any recommendations on a manufacturer and dealer source? reading horror stories on bad castings and incorrect bolt sizes on some units and would like to avoid a headache

BrokendownPony, I moved your posts into the right forums, this way more people will see them. Good luck :nod:

Howdy BDPony:

And Welcome to THE Forum. Yes, it is that good. First off I'm curious how and where you manifold broke.

My favorite is a C8 casting because it is a bit beefier than earlier castings and it is less encumbered with extra bungs and taps for EPA type crutches. I have no personal experiences with the after market manifolds and like you have heard various experiences.

Was you manifold an OEM and never off the OEM head, or has it been off when the head was rebuilt? Was it re-installed using an aftermarket exhaust manifold gasket? FYI, '67 engines came from the factory attached to the head with no gasket at all.

Sorry, not much help here.

Adios, David

I would get a 69 manifold if you have plans to install a complete exhaust system. The 67 manifold outlet is smaller than the later manifolds.

Howdy Back:

Hey Bill, FYI the change in outlet size cam in '63. Prior to '63 the exhaust manifold used a flat gasket and had a 1 3/4" outlet. The '63 and later used a firewall/donut gasket and have a 2" outlet. The C8 castings appeared in '68 and were used well into the '69 model year. The earlier 170 and 200 castings had less material around the mounting ears and at the center cluster. The Castings after C8 begin to have extra casting humps, taps and bungs for epa fittings. That's why I like the C8 castings for better stock, OEM parts.

Adios, David

any one have experience with the later 1980 log manifold with the real big outlet and a huge dump pipe on it? I know its been brought up but any first hand experience if they are good for performance?

as far as the early small log exhausts go the 1963 is the cleanest and thickest casting much nicer the say a 1966 200....the later ones are better like wsa111 said the 69 is the best so I second that one.

Back