SUCCESS!!

edgewood bronco

There's still various loose ends to tie up, but... I fired my newly rebuilt 200 up with a 2100 autolite on top of it, and it works! So far, so good. I found I was a tooth off on the distributor gear, and had an issue with the float, but so far all obstacles have been overcome.
I took it for a test run up to the county line, which takes me up a low grade half mile long hill that had the old 170 1bbl creeping along at 35 mph. now I can accelerate the whole way!!!
A big thanks to you all in the community in helping me pull this project together.
I'll have more questions shortly on tuning distributors and carbs, but for the moment, I'm basking in the success thus far and enjoying a celebratory :beer:

:beer: congrats on getting it going and good luck on the fine tuning! (y)

CoupeBoy":3qkh9ro2 said:
Pics or it didn't happen.. :mrgreen:

congrats!

I SWEAR it's running 8)

I'll try to figure out posting fotos soon... Off to read the plugs and see what size jets I've got in there.

Sounds good! Is that a direct mount 2100? I know you have a fresh rebuild but don't remember the carb details.
It makes a big difference when you can keep up with traffic.

Glad to see you got it running, once you get the carb & the distributor fine tuned you should love the combination.
What camshaft are you running?? Keep use informed, we are always here for help. Bill

bmbm40":1winp53t said:
Sounds good! Is that a direct mount 2100? I know you have a fresh rebuild but don't remember the carb details.
It makes a big difference when you can keep up with traffic.

Yeah, 2100 direct mount. So far so good. Can't wait to get some miles on it once I get it tuned. Wish I had an overdrive like you! some day... I just put a thicker gasket between the manifold and adapter because I'm not sure I don't have a vacuum leak there.

Next is jets. I've got 48Fs in there, and am thinking I could stand to go down to 44s. Hate to spend too much money on jets I don't end up using, but I don't guess there's another way but trial and error. Unfortunately all of my spares are bigger. Anybody at a mile high plus elevation running this setup (200, 2100 with 1.08 venturi diameter)? What size are your jets?

wsa111":38o0utv6 said:
Glad to see you got it running, once you get the carb & the distributor fine tuned you should love the combination.
What camshaft are you running?? Keep use informed, we are always here for help. Bill

I just did some valve adjustment. Dunno how I got that boogered, but one was 1/8 inch loose (lots of slop!), and another that tight. The rest were pretty good. I'm tightening them down so I can just barely turn the push rods with the engine hot. Runs smoother, but still horrible hesitation off idle at times. Not sure if I missed cleaning some passages in the carb or what. That's an idle to acceleration system, isn't it? The excessive jet size shouldn't affect the hesitation off idle, should it?
Needle on vacuum gauge still isn't rock solid like I'd like, interested to hear anybody's ideas on how to diagnose that.

Overall though, I'm super excited and pleased with the package. Just wish it had overdrive.

It's the most popular cam on classic inlines website...Product ID: CSC-264-HSP-10 264/264-110* Hydraulic Cam

Not sure where my distributor is... right now it runs best with a ton of advance, like 35 degrees without vacuum at idle. Don't have a tach (broken), so I'm not sure what revs that's at, faster than I think it should be. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get the distributor set up before too long...

So now you have enough power that you need overdrive that is good ! But kind of like creating something else that needs to be done hahahaha.
You could go to a taller tire but that only helps a little. There was a guy on classicbroncos.com selling a NV3550 but don't know the status of it.
I hope you get that hesitation problem sorted out soon so you can spend more time driving it.

That NV is sold :( Thanks for the tip though. Need to keep up more with that site.
It can definitely take OD for the flat stuff anyhow. It's only a matter of time before I do it, just wish I didn't have to give up 3 on the tree (for its [in this day and age] novelty value). Have been researching overdrives and even found out about HoneODrives, which might work if I had $3500. Might just try some 3.89 or 3.75 gears in the back end for starters. If I like it, I'll change out the fronts.

Nice! I'm running a direct mount 1.08 on my 200 too, and I've been really happy with it too. I'm using 50 jets though, and that gives me an A/F of 12-13 on heavy acceleration (I'm nowhere near your elevation though).

Also, with the hesitation, that oddly enough just started happening to me this morning on the way to work. For the past few months it's been solid. It seems like if I just feather the gas from a stop then it would go way lean and hesitate (and actually stalled one of the times)... if I press the gas harder instead, so I get a shot from the accelerator pump, then it's fine.

Too bad about the NV, I found mine on ebay but also some guys are using an ax 15 five speed or something like that. It is apparently somewhat less money than the NV. Yeah I miss the novelty and fun factor with the column shift. That is a good option changing the gears more so if you can do the work yourself.

I just swapped the jets from 0.048 down to 0.040. I think that's too much, but it doesn't smoke like it did with the bigger jets, so progress. There's dead spots on acceleration now, which seems to be a not enough fuel symptom. Guess I'll order some 0.044s tomorrow. There's a distributor re-curve in my future as well. I feel like the vacuum's low (see my other post on that: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73295), and hope there's not something lurking there. Overall though, super pleased with the package.

FalconSedanDelivery":75e2hdvz said:
The CURVE should be Done BEFORE any tuning , Timing effects signal which effects Jetting , but Jetting has almost NO effect on timing
FSD i definitely agree on ignition settings, but if one is too lean it will cause detonation, & too rich can tolerate more or over advance.

Yes , But until the Ignition is done what your doing ( tuning ) will have to be done over, If you want it right , if you jet for retarded timing then fix , IT WILL BE RICH AS HELL , there is an order to things , and there is also wasting time

After you get the distributor curved, it would be a wise choice to test your A/F ratio to see what you really have.
In the previous post i was stating that what could happen if you don't have the correct A/F.
A thermocouple on each exhaust pipe would be the best. Otherwise a wideband is the next choice.
Need a wideband tester to really see what your carburation is producing.
With out the wideband you are just guessing.
Do i have a wideband, you're darn right.

Back