Ceramic coated header question

da66stang

With the help of a fellow member here I will be getting a hold a classic inlines header. Only thing is it already comes powder coated, is it worth it to have the coating stripped and have it ceramic coated? It's going into a 66 mustang that does have a bit of issue with starting if it's been hot and then sits for a bout 10 mins. Was thinking the cooler under hood temp might help but if the gain is minimal I'll just leave the powder coat on.

Thanks.
Adam

The ceramic will be marginally cooler and hold up better for appearance. Your hot start issue sounds more likely due to heat soak. Header starts cooling as soon as you cut it off, while engine temp rises after shutdown due to no water flow.

da66stang":3c5oi293 said:
With the help of a fellow member here I will be getting a hold a classic inlines header. Only thing is it already comes powder coated, is it worth it to have the coating stripped and have it ceramic coated? It's going into a 66 mustang that does have a bit of issue with starting if it's been hot and then sits for a bout 10 mins. Was thinking the cooler under hood temp might help but if the gain is minimal I'll just leave the powder coat on.

Thanks.
Adam

Powder coating is difficult to remove. I wouldn't strip it unless the coating is chipped or damaged.

Is your starting issue one that the starter turns slow? This is caused by heat expanding the windings in the starter,
causing it to bind. If that's the case, you need to install a heat shield/insulation between your exhaust and the starter.

Otherwise, like Explorer stated, it's probably heat soak in the carb; commonly called "vapor lock".
With the exhaust right below the carb, it would help to place a heat shield between the two.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the answers. I described it poorly. It isn't really a starting issue. It'll start fine but about 10-15 seconds later it will bog down and want to die. I also think its the vapor lock issue, was just thing lowering the under hood temps might help a bit. Seems my logic was a bit off. Makes more sense the more getting warmer without the water pump running after shutting down.

I purchased a carb spacer just haven't put it on yet. I'll install it and just run with the powder coat. Thanks for the info.

I purchased a carb spacer just haven't put it on yet. I'll install it and just run with the powder coat. Thanks for the info.[/quote]

The powdercoating process is usually baking the coated part at 400 degrees F.
Your exhaust header will get much hotter than that and some of the coating will burn off.

---Craig

Back