Vacuum on my new engine seems low.

edgewood bronco

I'm at 9 inches Hg, pushing 10 from time to time. This is manifold vacuum from off the conversion plate on a D8 head (200 ci) with an autolite 2100 1.08 carb.
I've got a 264/264-110 degree Hydraulic Cam from Classic Inlines, and am at 6500 feet above sea level.
I know vacuum depends on the cam and elevation above sea level, but was hoping for a bit more vacuum than that to run those vacuum wipers on the early Bronco. How do I test so that I know if I have vacuum leaks? I don't feel like the idle screws are super sensitive to adjustment, but then I've rarely been around a 2 bbl carb, so have no frame of reference.

Would it hurt to put black RTV sealant between the manifold and the conversion plate? I've got a thick cork/rubber gasket in there now and don't know if that material is made for that application.

Thanks...

You can test for vacuum leaks with many mediums, like smoke, an unlit propane torch, water, oil, and carb cleaner. Personally I don't use RTV on carb gaskets as it's not nessisary, but worse is that fuel will eventually attack and dissolve it. Some Cork gasket material can be very porous it might be your vacuum leak. A heavy paper type gasket material is a better choice to make a carb base gasket. Good luck :nod:

There is only one cure for those vacuum wipers, replace with electric ones. They didn't work all that well even when new. Wild Horses sells the conversion kit and sync switch.

What are your timing specs ?, and have you checked and verified the Balancer and marks are correct, with that cam , I would run 18-24 initial , of course total has to be limited , set it there as a test and see where the vac goes , NEVER use stock Specs for anything other than a start :nono:

Not ready to ditch the vacuum wipers yet.

I was at 12 degrees, but I know it runs better more advanced. I was worried about going too far, and I read somewhere on here that 12 was good. The balancer and marks are correct: it's at TDC on number 1 cylinder when it's at zero on the marker. I'll get back on it tomorrow, this evening was lost.
Thanks!

Back