Giving up on the DUI

:D Been using the DS2 for at least 20 yrs.The only failure was caused by Mother Nature.Lightening hit a power pole about 10 feet from where I was parked(now that will get your heart rate up).The esd killed the ign box on the truck,AND the spare that I had in my tool box.
Was really a PITA,I had to walk a whole block to the nearest parts house to get another one. :roll: That is the only new box that I have had to buy.All of the other ones have been used,and were freebies,dizzy and all.Have put over 200k on these boxes and distributers with NEVER a failure.
I also for a little extra protection,use an extra ground wire from the box to the firewall.Hook it to one of the mounting screws.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

metal jacketed coil; 12 ga copper wires; sprial wound spark plug wires

"...an extra ground wire from the box to the firewall..."
thnx 4 da tip, Leo.

I don't know whether this applies to your situation but if the HEI modules are not kept cool they die quickly. You have to put lots of dielectric grease on the surface that mates to the heat sink when you install them to maximize heat conduction away from the module.

I'm thinking of changing mine out. How does this sound DSII, MSD 6 Digi, MSD leads and coil.

John Ha":ofx09qug said:
I don't know whether this applies to your situation but if the HEI modules are not kept cool they die quickly. You have to put lots of dielectric grease on the surface that mates to the heat sink when you install them to maximize heat conduction away from the module.
And it's probably thermal paste they should be using not dielectric grease.
I use it on the coil/ICM of my GenII chevy.

pmuller9":2m6f0hq1 said:
65coupei6":2m6f0hq1 said:
Why not get one from wsa111.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=73673

Thanks
Do you run your MSD straight off the distributor?
If so which of the two distributor wires do you hook the MSD violet and green trigger wires to?
MSD makes an adapter harness which allows you to just plug in the MSD box to the DS2 distributor.
The part # for the harness is 8869.
I have a rebuilt DS2 already curved for your application a heck of a lot less expensive than the performance distributor. See the for sale section of the forum. Bill

Can that harness be used with a MSD 6 Digi?, I’ve always liked the features on this box over the normal 6AL

wsa111":12t7c78u said:
pmuller9":12t7c78u said:
65coupei6":12t7c78u said:

Thanks
Do you run your MSD straight off the distributor?
If so which of the two distributor wires do you hook the MSD violet and green trigger wires to?
MSD makes an adapter harness which allows you to just plug in the MSD box to the DS2 distributor.
The part # for the harness is 8869.
I have a rebuilt DS2 already curved for your application a heck of a lot less expensive than the performance distributor. See the for sale section of the forum. Bill

If you hard wire, rather than use the adapter, the violet distributor lead connects to the green MSD wire; the orange distributor lead connects to the violet MSD wire.

Do not switch them!!! I did and wsa111 helped me since I could not understand why the engine ran, but had issues. Thanks, Bill [a few years ago]!

1986F150six":hzx3d4lo said:
If you hard wire, rather than use the adapter, the violet distributor lead connects to the green MSD wire; the orange distributor lead connects to the violet MSD wire.

Do not switch them!!! I did and wsa111 helped me since I could not understand why the engine ran, but had issues. Thanks, Bill [a few years ago]!

Thank You!

Good on ya Bill! Tech War Winner who refuses to get Sh@t-upon

Cross wire color conventions are because of white box suppliers to automotive instillations where there are two different conventions.

Fords aftermarket suppliers changed the Duraspark II wiring as well, and the old conventions from the Duraspark II days drop off.

Its a problem with all MSD integrations because its not logical any longer to follow GM's original system.

Have had the same issues with Bernstein proximity sensors and Nissan ABS sensors which were at one time indivdually coded from front to back or left to right, but afterwards, white box suppliers would then use one kind of wire code. Its what happens with aftermarket suppliers, they change, and if you want the service and mass production quality that the "susage machine" provides, you have to work in with their wiring conventions. They become illogical real quick!

chad":3u8ob08g said:
Thanks to ALL,
good info
nice thread
keep er goin...

U Guys is G R E A T !!!
just what I need,
not much of a 'wrencher'
AND
'electrics' is my worse suite!

Back