carb issues?

SteveStang

I have a 200 in my mustang and it seems its always running rough
It also has a hard time starting if i leave it for a while
I have a weber carb but bought it used a few years back and although it runs the car,does this sound like a carb issue?
I have had it in to be adjusted but i never had any options on jets etc and it tends to run pretty rich regardless of adjustment
Any recommendations would be appreciated.I will replace with new but whats the best choice

I've a similar problem in terms of hard start if I leave it for a while. I think the fuel just drains. Mine's a later model 1bbl carb. As for running rough, mine was getting worse over time. Discovered a spark plug wire had become loose. You may want to check your ignition system just to rule it out.

I'm not sure if that's normal - this is the only carb car I've owned for any length and while I drove my parents car that was carb it was over a decade newer and driven fairly often.

I would suggest checking the plugs and rejetting as the place to start. With the Weber carb are you still running the load a matic dizzy? If so that likely is a problem. I run a 68 Mustang dizzzy in my 65 200 , made a fair amount of improvement. Adjusting the carb is useless till the basics are corrected. Good luck with it,

If it does it when cold...its drain back. both my cars do this. i firlmly beleive it has soemthing to do with the ethanol. ive replaced fuel pumps, gone though the carbs.. they just do it. sucks. Im going to go electric on the pump very soon. (even my 200 w weber does this)

If when its HOT and the car was driven, then sits for 20 or so minutes, and hard to start, just kicl the throttle wide open and fire it. whats happening is the carb is getting hot and the fuel is 'boiling' out.

What Weber are you running? From what I've read, Weber's tend to prefer lower fuel pressure - at least the 1bbl configurations do. I run a Holley regulator on my tripple setup and have it set to 3psi.

Try pumping the gas with the accelerator pedal while starting. :p
And then using your foot to maintain running status. :LOL:

I have no choke on my car... ;)

Mine won't start easily after a long drive. I think the ethanol fuel boils out of the carb and puddles in the intake. Takes some significant cranking and fiddling with the gas pedal to get it started again.

Thanks for all the replies.I am running an electronic ignition(MSD) and have no problem starting if i start every day,only if it has sat for a few days to a week
I will check the wires but thinking of changing the intake and the carb

Thanks
Steve

Sounds like its a fuel issue to me. So First thing i would check is fuel pressure and then next would be the float level! Good luck :nod:

I would go with the fuel pressure for a start also. I'm also running webers and had too much pressure at the inlet. After sitting for a short while it was hard to start. The carbs would flood, not a good thing with three carbs.
After the right pressure regulator was installed, no more staring problems.

Gene

Back