Setting up Tappets

xrwagon

Hi all, I’ve just done the baby solid cam swap in my 200 with 2V head, mine has the adjustable rocker gear. The head has been considerably shaved and new valve springs. The cam card says 0.014, i cant find what factory setting is for the early solids in 144’s, i thought i read it was 0.018 somewhere. I haven’t set up a solid cam since late 80’s and that wasn’t Ford, I’ve installed the cam, lifters etc, head is back on, valve gear is all on and torqued up, i just need some advice on a couple of things, my motor had a timing set slinger, that fouls the Rollmaster double set i have, so I’m not running it, a performance engine builder local mate set the cam up and installed it, finished that part off, the chain i was supplied was two links to long and its taken a week to get the correct chain, i cant contact him to help me finish it off.

The oil slinger removal shouldn’t be a problem?

And how do i set the solid cam tappets?

Thanks in advance.

The oil slinger being removed won't be a problem, the newer timing cover seals are better then the old originals. .018 was the setting for many of the early Falcon engines. This link below gives you the basics on setting the valve rockers, you could set the valves with engine cold at .0.16 to .018 then recheck them and set to the cam manufactures spec's after you have done your cam break in. As the engine warms up the clearances will usually tighten up some, it varies but is around .002. Good luck :nod:

http://www.classicinlines.com/ValveAdj.asp

Back