Finally making some progress

"...Get a different guy…"
it's actually 'get some more money' but I aint got any…

"Finally making some progress"
DID just p/u a 5 speed (4 WD) for the bronk, 1st is 4:! - I wish it was 5 or 6:1 but 4 $350 & 100mi round trip I'll B happy).
Who sez a dodge don't fit a ford? 'nother 6, 7 hundred sez "Yes"...

Just went down to the shop to take a look at the head. Man she looks purty. New guides have been installed, new seats cut (1.76"/1.50"), and the intake log machined to accept the direct mount 2bbl. Next week he's going to mill the surface 0.070" then hand it back to me for any cleanup work that I want to do (ie. I still have some port work on the exhaust side once he get's the port divider installed.). I have to run a few numbers down to him yet but otherwise everything is looking very nice. Starting to get stoked that this is all going to actually happen...

Econoline":34gvkdia said:
Yeah, sorry Chad, I brain farted the bit about it being surfaced already :roll:
yeah, u owe me one'a dose deschutes (that's 6 individuals)!

Hey Cat! U can feel it now, eh?
I saw U got yer rockers on nother thread…gettin close now!

Got the call today tht the head is ready for me to pick up. Everything except for surface milling is done. I'm going to finish my exhaust port work, get it dipped one last time, then time for final assembly. I'll post picks tomorrow. I love what I've seen so far!

Picked the head up this morning. She's lookin good!

Oh, and I was able to confirm that my casting is a C9DE-6090-M that everyone has been talking about lately :D :beer:

All that has been done so far:
- magnaflux
- dip
- new bronze guides installed
- guides machined to accept viton seals
- valve seats cut for oversized valves (1.75"/1.50")
- log milled to accept 2bbl Autolite adapter
- intake hole hogged out, welded, and adapterplate mounting holes drilled and tapped
- valve seat area blended into bowl
- 2 broken off bolts removed from exhaust flange (guess which 2 :LOL: )
- port divider fit, installed, and tack welded in
- freeze plugs removed
- water channels and intake media blasted to clean it all up.

Next steps:
- finish exhaust port work (me)
- work valve guides in bowl (me)
- mill deck (he didn't want to do that before I did my exhaust port work in case I scratch it all up)
- unshroud valves
- dip
- final assembly (new SI valves, springs with damper, single piece retainers)
- sell kidney to pay bill :rolflmao:

I can't wait to get this thing installed..... :beer:

Steve, head is looking great. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! Yeah. I spent a lot of hours slowly working those chambers. The only real mistake I've found so far was that I slightly dug into the lip on #6. That should be the first chamber pic. You can see the grind there on the upper right side. Some of that will be cleared up when he mills the surface. Otherwise I've been pretty pleased with how it turned out. I've never done this kind of work before, so I'm learnin.

I'm just going to go in lightly with a dremel wand and round those guides. I'm scared of doing too much in the bowls because I don't want to damage the valve seats. The machinist said he'd take a look at unshrouding the valves when I bring it back in.

Question on that: Should I only worry about unshrouding the intake valves? I figure exploding gases shouldn't have too difficult of a time finding their way out of the exhaust valve so I'm not so concerned there...

I also noticed last night that I opened up one of the exhaust ports a little too much. So we'll see if it results in more frequently burned gaskets or not. I'm gonna guess I'll be OK.. I only have a little bit to do on that siamese port. Doesn't look like I really need to do any real grinding there but rather just polishing. I laid a straight edge across where the gasket is for 2 and 4 and that divider is only slightly proud so I'll just leave it for now and maybe consider doing something more when I go to a header since right now I'll just be running with a stock exhaust until funds replenish.

Scratch that on the exhaust port. I didn't have the gasket square. It's fine. Still only have to do some polishing of the siamese. It's solid size-wise. Makes it that much easier for me :)

Just got the phone call today that my head is ready to pick up! I'll double check with the invoice but here's what I've had done:
> New valve guides
> Valves cut for oversized valves (1.75/1.5)
> Area under valves blended
> Back cut valves
> Guides milled to accept Viton seals
> 3 angle seat cut
> 1 bbl boss milled off, direct 2 bbl adapter installed
> Head milled 0.070"
> Exhaust port divider installed
> Exhaust flange(s) milled to true the surface
> 2 broken off bolts in exhaust removed
> Dipped 2x (once at the beginning and again at the end)
> Magnafluxed
> Head assembled with SI valves, Viton seals, damped springs, and 1 piece retainers (all stuff I sourced from Does10s)
> Chambers cc'd <- Final number = 48cc (y)

I can't wait to pick it up and get it installed! :beer:

I won't be in that neighborhood until next Monday, so I'll have to wait until then to take pictures and will post them. Guess it's time to start figuring out how to mount and install that Lokar setup that's sittin on the shelf :D

:beer: From your above pictures already looked like the head was turning out very good! (y)

Cat aint shown no pic of his S4!t above…

I very much look forward to hearing about (and seeing) the results.

They way it has been described makes it sound awesome.

Congrats.

Back