Building first inline

64-5mustang

Hi everyone I'm just getting in to the in lines. I have a 200 in a pony so instead of dropping in a v8 I want to be different. I have done the 5 lug converson. I have a hei and 32-36 Webber I got from Mike, now I'm looking to make one hell of a in line, I'm looking at 10. 1 Compression high raito rockers. Any input would be a help. I had plans to get the ci alummin head but I don't know if any will be available again. My main concern is parts. Thank you.

i would back the compression ratio you want down to 9.5:1, not enough difference in power output to bother with, but it is less detonation prone so you can use a lower octane fuel.

the 32/36 weber is a good choice, just remember to run a regulator set at about 3.5 psi.

the HEI is ok, be prepared though to replace the module with a stock ac delco module, the aftermarket modules are hit or miss on durability. and remember to use the proper grease when replacing the module. in fact you might take the supplied module out, and clean the module and mounting surfaces thoroughly, and use some good grease to help the durability of the module in question.

as for the high ratio rocker arms, i think i would go with a cam change instead. high ratio rockers are a nice tuning feature, but if you get the cam right first, and find that you still need a little more, then consider the high ratio rockers.. the nice thing about going this route is that you can use the high ratio rockers on just the exhaust if you decide that you just need a bit more from the exhaust, for instance.

i would also install a header and a good exhaust system, as that will give you the proper out flow as well making for a smoother over all run for the air.

What head are you going to use? will you be using the 2v to 1v adapter or straight a 2v adapter? Adding a T5 will really wake it up also and improve drive ability.

Howdy 64-5 Mustang:

And welcome to The Forum. Even though this is your first post you don't sound like a new comer. anyway, welcome.

Tell us more about your vehicle- trans? miles? uses?

My suggestion to you would be to look for a '76 and later head to rebuild. When you get it done you can swap it onto you engine in a day, and not have your car down. The '78 and later head will have the best/biggest valves, hardened seats, a 1.75" carb intake hole and a bigger intake tract volume. All good for increased performance. It does have larger combustion chambers at 62cc as compared to your '64/'65 which are 52cc. Specify to your machinist that you want a performance valve job with at least a three angle seat. Add a 30 degree back cut to the intake valves. The head will meed to be milled .050" to get the chambers back to 52 ccs. You'll have to add another .025" to compensate for the thicker, aftermarket composite head gasket you'll be using. That will get you back to 9:1. Milling the head past .075" is doable, but not a good idea. If you want to go higher than 9:1 you'll likely that do it in the block; decking, flat topped pistons, over boring.

The high lift rockers are a good idea if you are not planning to rebuild the block. The increase in lift going from 1.5:1 to 1.6:1 is only .030"- a marginal increase considering the cost. Adjustable rocker arms are a worthwhile upgrade to maximize cam potential.

Start by planning, budgeting both time and money, and assessing what you can do and what you will need to budget for.

Again, Welcome. Keep your progress and plans coming. We love to help.

Adios, David

Thanks for the replys. It is a 64 coupe 200 with c4 auto born that way and will stay rear is 3.20 gears. I have saved the engen and trans for last as I have no experience with a inline. It has the small log head I will most likely change it I will perform a 5 angle valve job, and polish. Adjustable rockers are likely to happen. The block will be rebuilt it is in dire need of it.the Compression is not a concern for me at my altitude I can go to 10.5 and run pump fuel. As the cam goes I need your help hear I'm looking for a cruser that can piss off a mild 302.

I'm am a engen bulider for tractor trailers so I know a little of what Im doing.

Howdy Back 64-65:

Where are you located? I'm in Idaho Falls, ID at 5,000 elevation and ran a 250 with 9.75:1 with no problem. Elevation is definitely a factor in selecting your ratio.

Since you have a '64 200 you may already have adjustable rocker arms. Many were. What is the condition of your engine? Have you done a compression check? Is it a daily driver?

Keep it coming.

Adios, David

64-5, Do you have pics that you can post? I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm doing the same thing. Keeping my I6, and doing a resto on my mustang. ( 67 coupe ) What brake up grade did you do when you did your 5 lug conversion? Did you change the rear axle out?
Tks,
Hump/Phil

For my Compression I'm at 5200 feet Casper wy. I can run 10.5 hear. I do use it as a daily driver, but will start the work when winter comes.

For my lug converson I went to my local pick yard and found a donner with factory disc and eight in rear. I'm not sure what all you will need since you have a 67 mines a 64.

@64-5mustang

I'll agree with others before me, 10.5 isn't 'better' for these older engines, I recommend 9.5 for street use, you won't like the tuning problems on a daily when you're running 10.5cr... trust me I know

Back