Installing 250 in a 65 coupe question.

65-coupe

For anybody that has done this before. I know the 250 is about 2" taller then the 200. I have the Maverick motor mounts for it. I know they will help lower a little but not sure how much. So how much will that help lower the engine? just trying to know out how much hood clearence I will need. Thanks

I don't if it will work with a Mustang but I lowered the 250 in my bronco by slotting the hole on the mounts. I also have the stock air cleaner with the dropped base I think it is called. I hope it works I have been interested in the same conversion.

This is not the Q you've asked but -
In my archive I have 5 - 7 methods to f/u w/this 'issue' - one of which will not wrk 4 U (I assUme). The 1st.
Let's C if I can remember them all w/o a painful & difficult search of my system:

* Body lift (more for bmbm40, a vehicle called Buck, myself & others - trucks),
* suspension lift (also prob not 4 U) have helped some (altho I can't C how),
* air cleaner changes (I have a stock 1 that's been a 38 yr search to ID) - it sits dwn beside the valve cover,
* maverick mounts and towers, ('slot' the mount 4 more drop) or 'hard mount' the motor (again I don't recommend),
* an autolite or a carter RBS carb, (&/or mill the head 4 a direct mount 1) or weber/other side draFT (better 4 racers),
* hood scoop
* ?(nope, guess I forgot)?

Who can chip in any others?

This will be with the CL alum head and 4bbl. Trying to not have to cut hood. Just not sure if possible.

I think the 250 is around 1.5" taller. I'd try and devise some method to measure the current clearance at the center of the carb and then you'll know how far it *has to go. Maybe some plumbers putty ball or play-dow on top of the breather? It may only *have to drop .5". Using a 4 barrel off to one side is going to tighten things up further but with a point on the current motor as a baseline you'd be able to tell. It's going to come down to finding the highest flow, lowest clearance carb hat. You probably already know that.

65-coupe":n0v0o9da said:
This will be with the CL alum head and 4bbl. Trying to not have to cut hood. Just not sure if possible.

What hight is that?

Add the 1.5 inches recommended (4 the engine swap),
Try the ball-o-puddy,
Look at a "newer" product from CI that's low (the fined carb hat),
measure & compare...

Modin is never an exact science but I like yer idea of a-well-planned-out-approach.
There's always choices (& like U I need to avoid a hood scoop - windshield wont fold down w/1...).

Keep talkin, plenty experience here.

I put a 250 in a '62 Falcon Ranchero by making custom motor mounts. Surprisingly not to difficult to do; I mocked them up out of cardboard first, then found some 1/4" weldable steel at Sears Hardware and cut it up to make simple right angle brackets with diagonal supports on the bottom, then drilled the bolt holes with a drill press. I don't weld, so had to get a friend to help me with that. I think the custom motor mounts turned out quite well, you can see them on my 250 installation thread.

Thanks,
Bob

Didn't I offer you a free set of custom motor mounts back in March?
mustangman33 was having issues with his 200/AL head installation, the intake was hitting his shock tower.
Worries About Hitting: Carb Touching Shock Tower -- FordSix Forum
Offer to you still stands, shoot me a PM if you are interested and I'll get a set in the mail to you, least I could do after you sent me the flywheel.

I've sent out a couple sets of these so far and not a single picture in return, makes me sad.

But that is partially why I bought a '65 Mustang carcass..

It had a nice engine bay, ripe for measuring and fitting thing into.. :rolflmao:

Bob, you solid mounted the 250 into your Ranchero?
Starting my build very soon -- 62Ranchero200 -- FordSix Forum
d05119596fb3d6c6db867275601a6738.jpg
Any problems with vibration?

-ron

CoupeBoy -
ford6 motor mount/tower king!
Check It Out!!!

Yes, my 250 is using solid motor mounts in my '62 Ranchero.

Vibration is only a perceptible issue at idle in gear (~600-700 RPM), and can be avoided by using a light touch on the throttle to raise the idle slightly (~800-900 RPM).

I've considered adding a second 1/4" plate "in front of" the existing mount with a block of industrial strength rubber between, which would only require longer motor mount bolts, but the vibration doesn't bother me enough to go to this length so far.

Thanks
Bob

"...a half inch now with a low profile carb hat...."
so there's still room left.
Mine, the a/c stud has dented the hood in (well, 'up' is more correct).

OK, it sounds - with the higher deck hight some1 quoted U here - that you'll need 1/2 inch?
"Sloting" seems like all you'll need than? The "drop base" a/c would add some wiggle room
(another 1/2 inch?).

Back