Did a '63.5 170 come w/hydraulic lifters?

I blew air down the top of block and it sounds like it is coming out around either the main or connecting rod bearings at #5 and #6. It also could be coming from the empty lifter bores because it had a hollow echo sound. I filled hole with oil and it just sat there. Blew more air trying to see where the oil goes and never saw it dripping other than the oil pump pickup screen then after a few seconds heard the same hollow sound as before around #5 and #6. I tried to feel where the air was going but couldn't feel nothing.

I found this quote on Classic Inline's site:
Lifters: '60-'62 144/170ci engines had solid lifters, '63-'65 144/170ci engines had both styles depending on the year and model, while '66-UP 144/170ci engines had hydraulic lifters. All 200/250ci engines had hydraulic lifters. Example: The '64 Falcon 170ci had hydraulic lifters, while the '64 Ranchero 170ci had solid lifters.
From my own experience, I once rebuilt a 1963 Falcon 144 engine. The machine shop gave me an hydraulic cam for the rebuild. I questioned it, having heard the early blocks wouldn't supply enough oil. Long story short, I installed the hydraulic cam and it had about 12 horsepower ! What a dog. Naturally the lifters would not pump up . How does your engine feel power wise ?
I ended up changing the cam back to a solid grind( naturally it was the coldest day in January , outside in my Dad's driveway, brrrrrr !
DannyG

Back