Engine to Transmission Bracket

Stormin' Norman

Departed Member
These came off of a 200 I6 with a C4 auto transmission
I6_SROD_Brkts_1.jpg

They go from the bottom of the block to the lowest bolts on the bell housing as below:
I6_SROD_Brkts_2.jpg

I6_SROD_Brkts_3.jpg

I bought some flat bar to make up a pair for my SROD swap.

The block hole centers on both sides are 11.25 inches to the block plate cover at the transmission. The stock ones are made of 1/4" flat bar X 1.5 inches wide. The bent end is about 1.75 inches long at about a 45 degree angled bend of 30 degrees. With the SROD, there's no need to clear the pan. The line of site to the bolts is straight down.

They serve to keep the bottom of the transmission tight to the block. If it was a cast iron bell housing I wouldn't be concerned, but since it is and SROD bell (rarer now and cast aluminum), I figure these brackets will help reduce any abuse. The transmission mounting bolts are onlt above the half way point from the top, so these make sense to me to stop any up/down movement between the tanny and block. We are a pothole city after all. :beer:

Anyone else use these?

I made my SROD versions from 1.25 wide flat steel X 0.125 thick. Ford used 1/4" thick, but they had to twist/bend them to fit the C4 trans holes in the bell housing. The SROD mounting holes are straight down.

I made sure the upper hole center and the tranny end were in line with each other. The bend is at 11.25" from the top hole (I made both of them 3/8" diameter at each end, although the tranny bolt is 5/16") The angle is 30 degrees to the length. If you use thicker metal, make sure the bend is at 11.25" top bolt center to tranny face.

The bottom (Tranny Hole) is 3/8" to 1/2" from the bend corner. I cut the bars and machined them flat (Drilling and Deburring), then bent them on my small bench vice) If I was bending thicker metal, I'd heat it up and stop before it got too red. The bars are 13.5" long to allow the ends to extend 3/4" to the mounting hole centers.

The left hand braces are for a 200 CID I6 with a C4 Automatic. The right hand braces are for the SROD trans and the 200 CID I6.
EngTransBraceSROD_3.jpg

This shows the length difference. I made them so the bends tucked inward to the center of the transmission plate.
EngTransBraceSROD_2.jpg

This shows the bends and twists to fit to a C4 because they have to work around the pan/block to fit the hole spacing on the C4. The SROD bolts are 'Line-Of- Site' or, straight down.

Like I said before, all they really do is keep the bellhousing tight to the block. If you pop the clutch at 4 grand they won't prevent any bellhousing damage. :rolflmao:
EngTransBraceSROD_1.jpg

Back