67 Sports Sprint Compression Numbers

67Poney

All, greetings. I am new to the forum and have tried searching strings for compression numbers in PSI for my 67 200i6 / c4 / 1100 with pertronix and flame thrower. I did a compression check last night and was hitting 145-155 range with my #2 cyl at 135psi. What range should I be at? Trying to decide if it's time for a rebuild sooner than later. thanks in advance.

Not sure what new engine numbers are, but I'd say your #'s sound good. The low cylinder is a tad over 10% less than the high of 155.

Howdy 67poney:

Is this a Calif emissions car? How does it idle? is The Vacuum steady? If it is a CalEm car they were down on CR from the factory. If the needle is steady at 15 or higher you will be ok. If the needle is bouncing around you may have a valve seal problem emerging- still not too bad. How long has it been since a valve job or rebuild?

More information about this engine, mileage, use, would be helpful.

Adios, David

a 20psi difference from low to high is no big deal, though it is on the edge. as for the pressures, depending on what the compression ratio is, they are about right. as long as oyu are not burning oil, and the engine isnt running rough, you are good to go.

Ok.. Non Cali car.. Idles great around 20.5psi (needle steady as a rock) vac at 1100 rpm. smokes a little (blue grey during acceleration) #1 and 6 have oil on threads of the spark plugs, just a little and 97k miles. Valves were done about 3years ago before I got the car. I have only had it 2mo's and rebuilt the carb and changed out the main jet due to the carbon fouled plugs.

I believe you are ok. If it idles fine and drives ok go for it.
I believe all the big three make a carbon buster which in your case may free up some possible stuck rings.
You could also install new valve guide seals with the head still on the engine.
Make sure your PCV valve is dry & not sucking oil in the engine via the vent system.

How long was it sitting before you snatched it and how often do you drive it?
The valve job 3 years ago may have been an attempt to cure something related to what you're seeing. If it was mine and that was the only problem and it wasn't TOO annoying then I would follow rbohm's advice and drive and enjoy it.

And Welcome to the forum!

- Perry

Back