Log Manifold modification

hotrodguy":y9vmm5ny said:
ludwig, could you be more specific about those Mustang 6 pics, I searched and could not find anything. much thanks Randy

, the links to Jacks "Jack Collins X head" are off the internet.

His car was a Locost, and they operate a gentelmans arrangment where all the info is there.

Its links aren't any longer on FordSix.

In its first incarnation in the JCX Locost 200 six, had an alloy headed Aussie CrossFlow with six Suzuki RC40 Mikuni Flatside carbs.

Then he went to twin CDS175 Zenith Strombergs with his wifes chopping board modified...as a heat insulator.( :rolflmao: True strory... :unsure: )

This is the head swap he did

archive/XF200ci.php

Pinto-2000_4002.jpg

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos. ... G_0152.jpg

Pinto-2000_4001.jpg

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos. ... G_0158.jpg

There are no longer any copies of the pictures of the six carb intake, but its just like this Pinto 2000 EOA engines set up, on a handmade alloy tube intake. Rob Wards carbs on the X-flow six. Only issue was how close the carbs were to the early small cap Duraspark distribtor, but these days, a mike1157 / thesameguy EDIS6 sawp will remove the ditributor entirley.

With the stock head casting, and killer modifications like the Aussie three DCOE 45 set up made by Paul Knott, there is a true 280 flywheel hp from just 170 cubic inch engine that made 105 hp gross, 72 net flywheel hp or just 57 rear wheel hp. A 289% boost in power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTgb4knAuI

If you did the Ak Miller four 1-3/4" internal diameter braised on flanges, or linked rob Ward style as Paul Knott Autos XK racer is for its 6 1-1/2" runners and used the 240/260 Z Hitachi to 390 cfm style intake manifold adaptor, leaned the engine over, you'd have ample room for the 500 cfm that two SU HS6's flow. The Keihin's flow about 545 cfm all up. So a good Holley 4-bbl carb feeding the log head externally will easily make well over 160 hp before a more modern cam and better valves are added. The L series engines run similar porting spacings to the Log head six, with the two inner cylinders intake runners way wider spaced than cylinders 1, 2 4 and 5. So the same boost with a good 4-bbl over three 45 DCOE's can be expected.

The engine is easy to slant. We use the old V8 cross member, and tilt the engine over just on the engine mount perches.

My guess is that the initial machine work is so much easier.
Hack off everything.
Mill back to a flat surface.

So much easier than going around those exhaust ports.

But I agree with you. The full chop int/exh, I would suspect would be problematic long term for dealing.

Your probably right that it might be easier on machining part of it. :nod: Then you could then go with a single steel plate to weld or bolt an intake onto it and also the exhaust header too. When I was thinking about doing it was going to either cut the plenum off but leaving the intake ports as long as possible or just open the top of the plenum just so could get inside to port the intake runners.

bubba22349":2fhlr2b2 said:
CoupeBoy":2fhlr2b2 said:

:unsure: I just don't see why you would want cut on the exhaust port flange along with the intake? This would make it so you can't use any of the header sets that are being made.

at that point you would be making your own flange to mount the intake and exhaust, so you may as well build your own header. the big advantage is that you get to open up the exhaust ports, and get a better angle for the exhaust to exit.

Yes for sure rbohm, to me the intake ports have a good high port entry angle and if there was a way to get the exhaust ports raised up too. i.e. Kind of like Dyno Don did on his 351 C Pro Stock motors that should really help the flow. I was going to go with a tunnel ram type intake too. :nod:

bubba22349":3to8xmzx said:
Yes for sure rbohm, to me the intake ports have a good high port entry angle and if there was a way to get the exhaust ports raised up too. i.e. Kind of like Dyno Don did on his 351 C Pro Stock motors that should really help the flow. I was going to go with a tunnel ram type intake too. :nod:

actually once the flange is machined off like in the picture, you have a great outlet for the exhaust since you eliminate the severe downturn of the stock flange.

Been awhile since I did those head chops. Lots of fun, learned quite a bit, started laying out a plate for the C1 head... then I bought a 250-2v head and a couple manifolds (stock 2v and a lynx 3x weber dcoe).
The chopped heads are long gone, so, old pics are all I have of them.
Someday, the Squire's 200 (D5 block/D6 head) is going to die and I'll get around to putting the 250-2v head on a new engine. I've put 250k on the old engine myself in the last 15 years, and it had an undetermined number (but a LOT) of miles on it when I got it. Still going strong, mpg has dropped though, 28mpg on the highway, down from 32-33mpg. Could need a carb rebuild, or it could finally just be wearing out.
Old chopping and port pics below. Sorry about the small size.

Rick(wrench)

The C1 chop. This cut was bandsawed and then cleaned up, all the way across. We took about an 1/8th of an inch too much I think.
With an early C1 head, it probably would be best just to skim the log off, only;

cutlinelog.jpg

C1 head chop pics:

choppedhead.jpg

#5 in. + ex.
chop1.jpg

Core plug hole.
chop2.jpg

#5 ex.
chop3.jpg

#4 in. + ex.
chop4.jpg

The D7 head chop. Cut off the log only, leaving the exhaust untouched. D7 intake ports are all goofy amoeba shaped, kind of random. Maybe we should have carefully milled at a 90˙ angle to the head face to get down to a more consistent cross section (but, we didn't). A straight across chop, like the C1 cut may have resulted in a usable head... maybe. I picked up the 250-2v head at that point in the game and the chopped heads went out into the core pile.
Pics:

d7front.jpg

d7intake.jpg

d7exhaust.jpg

chopped C1 ports vs 250-2v ports, or, why I stopped chopping up log heads.
2v top, C1 bottom - intake:

2vportruler.jpg

logportruler.jpg

2v top, C1 bottom - exhaust:

2vexruler.jpg

logexruler.jpg

:unsure: That 250 2V head shows lots of improvements over the old log head design no wonder you scrapped the chopped off log heads. I also wanted to try a 2V too and had a chance at a rough one a few years back (it had a couple of cracks) sent payment off but for some reason the seller didn't get the payment. There are so few of them left now. :nod:

Back