Where to connect vacuum guage

MalcolmA

Apologies for the noob question, but I've looked around a lot for the answer and it always assumes a level of knowledge that I don't have.

I'm looking to adjust the carb and engine timing for the first time, or at least have alook at what state they're in. There is plenty of info out there on the process, but the one thing I'm unclear about is where to hook up the vacuum guage. All I've seen is "a source of manifold vacuum", but something visual woudl be much more helpful, or specific instructions based on my images. Would anyone be able to have a look at my setup and give me a hand? I'd really appreciate the help.

Cheers!

http://imgur.com/a/7hgUb

Do you have a pipe fitting or plug below the carb base on the intake manifold log? If so that's a very good place to install a vacuum tap fitting, if not you could get a 3/8 X 3/8 X 1/8 or 1/4 vacuum T fitting and install it next to the PCV valve. Good luck :nod:

Howdy Back:

You have a pipe plug screwed into the side of the intake log, just below the carb. It is painted blue so you might miss it. That would be a perfect spot to put a threaded brass nipple- one end same threads and size as the plug, and the other with a 1/4" nipple to attach to the vacuum gauge hose. Be sure to plug it off when you are done.

Also Be sure to disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line to the distributor vacuum advance when checking and setting the initial advance. I prefer to take vacuum readings this way also. Keep the questions coming. Good Luck.

Adios, David

I had a look in Lowe's today, but all the barbed fittings were large sizes for plumbing.

So is there not a specific part I'm looking for? Not sure exactly what it is I need here.

They should have a separate array of BRASS fittings apart from the plumbing stuff. Usually little bitty brass nipples and threaded blocks, male, female and male to female, plugs and caps, all in brass. If not there, a good Ace hardware or a real old-timer auto parts store where the guys actually work on their cars. Speed shop or similar.

Back