250 build

Glad to hear there where no issues this time (y) Nice job on your build. Definitely would like to see a vidio of the car running.

69stang_250,
Any idea why the rockerarm broke ? Was it orignal/old/ rebuilt/NOS ?

I know how you feel when something breaks, my first rebuilt 289 ( ca 1982...) didn't last the night when I bent a valve on it. In my case, I had way too large of a cam on stock valvesprings and I didn't really have the concept of a proper valve adjustment.
I did learn quite well from experience, you will too !
DannyG

69stang_250":3mkv8miv said:
So I got the break in done with no issues yesterday and will be doing some tunning today on it.
Have to pull the carb and trim the export brace a little to clear the vacuum secondary and then try to get the air cleaner to clear the hood once I put it on.
I think the last few things I have to do is put some tail pipe hangers on and then put my heater box back in the car.
It's been a little too cold to not have a heater in the car lol.

I am trying to figure out how to post a vid and once I get it done I'll attach the link on here.
I have to say that I love the sound with the flowmasters. It's got that deep rumble to it and I'm sure it will sound great when I get the carb tuned.
:cool:

hopin "the learnin" is over on this build Danny!
:eek:

Think the alu head effects the sound of da flowmasters?
how is dat any different? (MMay B no difference?).
Thnx !
Congrats on '2nd time's a charm'… !
Must B Awesome~
:beer:

BTW: may B in the opening Index page under REGISTRATION TIPS, RULES & REGULATIONS, or HELP there's a guide/help to vid posting.
Good Luck, Bro! thnx 4 including me here !

So I am not 100% sure what caused the rocker to seize on the shaft. We think it may have been a Bur or too tight of clearance between the rocker and shaft.

Also I drove the car home tonight. Getting the front end aligned tomorrow and have to do some work on the fans I think. They work great when driving stop light to stop light, but my engine wanted to creep to 250 and got me a little worried. One think I noticed is that my fans are pushing air. I thought that they were pullers, so ive gotta figure that out.
Got timing set to 34 total and the care idles good at 980-1060rpm ( that's what my timing light was reading ) have the A/F ratio jumping from 13.5-16.1 on idle. Kinda hard to figure out what the actual AF ratio is, but I figured it's not ad where it's sitting. At cruise she runs 15.3-17 AF. Does that sound ok to you guys? up one jet size to fix if not?

Next beg thing is getting the front end aligned and then figuring out my stumbling problem. I'm sure the stumbling is due to the accelerator pump circuit. The AF ration jumps to 10.7 when you hit the gas. I know I need to lean that up.

Other than all the things I need to fix, I am very pleased.

I know some my condime me for this but I put a rebuilt 4cyl t5 in her and I have 3.00 out back and it is hard to the tires gripping the road when you punch it. Honestly it feels like it has as much pull as my old 2010 mustang GT. I'm sure once I get the carb tuned it will be much more fun! But I'm loving what I've got!

I'm about to go on YouTube and post the 2 vids I have on there and I'll come back and post the like.

Don't give me too much crap for hacking up the air cleaner. I'm going to change that soon.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    680.8 KB · Views: 160
Hey there guys and gals.
I have been out of the states for a while, but will be headed back to continue some work on the mustang.
Have a tanks inc EFI tank, FITECH EFI, and an EPAS kit headed in to my buddies place where my car is and I will be posting the install pics in this thread. My buddy has told me the car is still running great, but I think it will run a lot better once the EFI system is installed.
Super excited to get back to working on her!

I'll be looking forward to see your efi upgrade. I'm planning on using that same tank when I do mine, they fit early Econolines after the fill tube is moved/swapped.

It will be super fun getting back to working on her.

Have a question for any of you that have plumed an EFI system before.
Would you guys use high pressure hose clamps on the twist lock AN fitting hose?
I have the russel fuel line kit that tanks inc sells and I just want to make sure I get these fittings and hoses done right.

69stang_250":20injkec said:
Hey there guys and gals.
I have been out of the states for a while, but will be headed back to continue some work on the mustang.
Have a tanks inc EFI tank, FITECH EFI, and an EPAS kit headed in to my buddies place where my car is and I will be posting the install pics in this thread. My buddy has told me the car is still running great, but I think it will run a lot better once the EFI system is installed.
Super excited to get back to working on her!

Zap's 85 GT from Four Eyed Pride has the experience with the system. This guy is still a devoted Holley 4-bbl man, and each of his other Ford Mustangs make over 350 hp at the hides, one with an Aussie Geelong block 351C 4V.

His tow truck uses FITECH EFI, so its all about maximum reliablity.

So his comments about the Holley EFI is all the more sobering

I love Holley, just sayin....

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... on-systems
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... EFI-system

At a personal level, I'd buy some RHS steel, and make a Quasi in line Autolite style 4-bbl from four Carter YFA's. The two outer carbs can operate Independent runner, and the two inner carbs, like a 2-bbl on a straight four. Classic 4-bbl carbs in the 650 cfm area work good, but are space limited and your always pushing the hood to carb clearance.

With multiple Carter YFs, you don't need the choke housing and custom profile metering rod "needles" are being reporduced by Blackhawk Engineering, and the old guy who operates it as a retirment project is exceptionally smart, and can tailer up a metering rod for 33 buxs US each.

The best thing is you can trim Air Fuel after dialing in the base jetting with a simple PWM Mixture Control Solenoid.

The aftermarket YF Carter reproductions have the MCS adaptor cast into the carb, so you have the ability to do the same thing an EFI 4bbl system does for a lot less expense. The great thing is Carter carbs looked after the rebuild of the Pacific, the repair of the post WWII world in Jeep's, won roundy round races in Hudson Hornets, and powered just about every 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Ford truck from 1969 to 1986. The YH Carters were just YF Carters on the side, but all the devlopment work on Corvair Turbos and Pontiac Jet Fire F85's was actually YF Carter based.

AzCoupe was considering the best way to package a 2V Classic Inlines intake, and spent a lot of time and consultation with Hogan making the intake manifold to suit the 4-bbl V8 way.

Your space foot print is limited for a 250 L code Mustang

file.php

When going side drafts, its limited too

mufp_0711_01_z%2Bturbo_charged_six_cylidner_mustang%2Bengine_bay.jpg

Ak Miller got the best response with four 37mm Keihins, then spent the next three years playing with 2V heads and Bosch K jetronic Mechanical Fuel injection and triple DCOE Webers, and then back to Offenhauser and Propane 4-bbl Turbos.

Basically, in 1969 onwards, Ford was going Autolite in line Four Barrell,

inline4a.jpg

and then out came the Anti Trust laws, litigation, and the need to sell off Autolite to avoid being further pruned by the Feds.

Horsing_Around_with_the_Mustang_Six_II_001.jpg

Fords use of the Carter YF carb was an emergency step, and its basically able to be reconfigured as an in line 4-bbl. Back in 2006 to 2007, the onl;y options looked like 4-bbl carbs, and all the other stuff like EFI thottle bodies and Weber DCOE's were looking really expensive.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76959

Any way, just my 2 cents. Something to consider

Great project!

Sorry for being so late posting this, but I got the epas ( electric power steering) and FITech I stalled on the mustang.
I can say I am very very very happy with both.

First thing I did was run a steel return line back to the fuel tank area. It fit right next to the feed line so I bent on line to run through a pre existing hole in the transmission tunnel brace. Turned the line to run down next to the feed line back to the wheel well and the bent another line to follow the feed line to the tank area. Used 3 pieces of steel line and connected them with EFI hose and EFI hose clamps.

The tanks inc EFI tank is pretty straight forward install. Only note I have is make sure you around for the gasket When measuring if you guys ever do the install.

After the tank install I used the russel EFI fuel hose kit that tanks inc sells to finish the plumbing.
You can see in the pictures its not too difficult to install the filter and hose after the steel lines are ran.

After the tank and lines were installed the FITech setup took all of 45 minutes to install. I knew where I was going to run the wires and all prior to the install so it was a little easier since having a plan before hand. Installed a T fitting inline on the heater hose coming from the head. That is where I installed the temp sensor. After that removed the carb and installed the throttle body. Fit perfect since I got a tubular shocktower brace. Capped off the fan wire and one other wire. Can’t remember at the moment. Connected all other wires required and done.

I will say that the mustang has a lot better throttle response and idles a ton better than before.
If any of you guys are thinking about getting it and installing....... DO IT!!!!!!

Attachments

• 342087A7-DBB6-4067-B315-3DC95A0F0439.jpeg
    342087A7-DBB6-4067-B315-3DC95A0F0439.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • 0E114771-2163-4136-8495-46C05ACD1156.jpeg
    0E114771-2163-4136-8495-46C05ACD1156.jpeg
    634.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 73AA1AF8-6CC1-482E-B05F-3B5D58E93BF1.jpeg
    73AA1AF8-6CC1-482E-B05F-3B5D58E93BF1.jpeg
    846.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 92EC20BA-D117-4DDC-99BF-EB1AE0AB3AD4.jpeg
    92EC20BA-D117-4DDC-99BF-EB1AE0AB3AD4.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 5D1729B6-F5C6-4386-AC73-02A691B9AD31.jpeg
    5D1729B6-F5C6-4386-AC73-02A691B9AD31.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 58
  • F066F619-6F49-44AC-BEE3-2F85A0EF0E45.jpeg
    F066F619-6F49-44AC-BEE3-2F85A0EF0E45.jpeg
    798.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 63E2B50F-3F4A-4B93-A464-C69A4B8E8174.jpeg
    63E2B50F-3F4A-4B93-A464-C69A4B8E8174.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 164556F8-893F-47B2-BF49-1938AD11A913.jpeg
    164556F8-893F-47B2-BF49-1938AD11A913.jpeg
    982.6 KB · Views: 58
:beer: congrats on the success of your improvements and thank you for the update! (y) :nod:

Back