Heat shield

John_mcgarvie

Hello i have the 200 im thinking of ways to have a good heat shield for the space between the intake and the exhaust.im thinking either mounted to the bottom of the intake or a full length plate type

Just wondering how others have solved the problem
Thanks

Man i wish i could post pictures im working an polishing the ports and she looks good just wanted to share /brag.there is no way to post a pic unless its online somewhere.well where should i put it googzel or tweeter please help

What might work is a layered spacer under the carb. Thin aluminum plate, some composite spacer, then another aluminum plate. Make the aluminum plates stick out a bit like a heat sink.
Usually people use photobucket for photo storage then link it here.

Trying this and i still hafe to go down the ports and smooth but its a good start.
20151129_204738_zpsslr2oxyc.jpg
[/url][/img]

Yes That's a great start just a little more to the bottom of the bowl and tapper or narrow up the guides some too. (y) :nod:

I have removed the freeze plugs at both ends of the intake. and am realy scratching my head on how to clean up in there .

SuperKONR":2l5pj15l said:
What might work is a layered spacer under the carb. Thin aluminum plate, some composite spacer, then another aluminum plate. Make the aluminum plates stick out a bit like a heat sink.
Usually people use photobucket for photo storage then link it here.

There isn't much you can do open up the carb base some if your staying with a 1V 1 3/4 inch or more tapper the bottom of the hole going into the log some

bubba22349":3t03biai said:
There isn't much you can do open up the carb base some if your staying with a 1V 1 3/4 inch or more tapper the bottom of the hole going into the log some
What about the ripples at the bottom of the bottom of the carb mount would that do better smooth

Heat shields are available from coolcarb on line. I use 2...one under the carb and one under the spacer, plus I reroute the water line to the heater away from the carb completely. Now air goes there. Wrapping the exhaust with "heat-wrap" should help. As for cleaning the intake, use a drill with an aluminum rod holding either coarse sandpaper or a small grinding wheel. A slit in the end of a 1/4" rod holds the paper. If you can find a small grinding wheel (I'm a retired gunsmith so I have one) held in place with a screw, the rod can be tapped and threaded to accept a small bolt. I did a similar thing to clean the area under the cowl vent opening. Remove the passenger fender then cut an opening that can be bent up for access under the cowl area intake slots. A long aluminum rod was then tapped to hold a stiff wire wheel. It made short work of the paint/crud in that area. I also opened the drains on each side and added taller intake tubes to the air vents. After that the temporary opening was closed, welded and smoothed before the fender replaced. Just what worked for me on my 65 Mustang.

Back