Weber 2bbl under a stock air cleaner?

bkrdave36

Has anyone figured out a way to attach a stock air cleaner onto a Weber 32/36 2bbl progressive carb?
I've seen adapter plates for other setups but havent seen ine for my application.

Dave

You might be able to use another air cleaner base and combine the parts with your stock one. Look for one from a 2.3L Pinto or Mustang II stock Ford used a copy of the Weber (Holley 5200?) lots of other import cars that also used similar carbs too. in the past I have also reworked and welded parts together to make something work. For this you could use an aftermarket square Weber air cleaner base, cut out the bottom of your air cleaner base to fit and weld it in. Good luck :nod:

I used a Maverick 250 RBS carb air cleaner with the deep dish and made a simple template of the 32/36 (5200) barrel. With a little hammer forming it fits fine and is retained by a hanger-wire basket to the carb and looks OEM...

PS the H/W 5200 from a Capri 2.8 V6 has run great for @ 10 years with smooth consistent idle and a little kick in the pants when the secondary opens up for the mighty 170...

. .

For fun I got cheap chrome Mr.Gasket type AC . flipped and cut the bottom to fit the 5200 and under the hood of the '63.

have fun

I snagged an air cleaner base from a Pinto or something in a wrecking yard, then sawed off the outer edge, my original air cleaner lid (that comes down over the filter) fits over it with a slight gap around the outside of the filter.

Ive since done some adjusting with a hammer so that it all sits level and flush, these pics are from when I first installed it.

AirCleanerBase.jpg

AirCleanerInstalled.jpg

All good ideas!
I'll need to ditch even the threaded 'peg' the AC 'lid' sits on as too high for mine.
The current 170 someone put in 30 yrs ago has a Carter YF that hits the hood w/o that 'peg'
(top of air horn has dented the hood when closed).
Looks like the Weber sits 4 inches top of intake/bottom of mount flange to top of 2v throat (ie full hight of carb only).

For hood clearance, there are a couple of things you can do. First is take a hammer to the carb base, and knock the center up so that the rim goes down. I did that on mine to not only lower it a tad, but level it.

Second, you can get rid of the Ford spacer plate below the "funnel" adapter, by drilling holes or slots in the adapter base to bolt it direct to the manifold. I've got a thread on that somewhere around here, but this mobile device makes searching a pita. Search for my username and something like "direct mount Weber".

Back