high ratio rocker arms

That was one of the options I was considering. This is essentially how the YTA setup is built. I just don't have a stud mount sample to start with. They would be most likely sold as a set and I didn't want to be out a few hundred dollars if the math didn't work out. With the shaft mounted rocker approach, I'm so far out the $22 I spent for the 1 rocker in order to take measurements.

:shock: A shaft mounted rocker system is vastly superior for a performance engine build so you would be going backwards! :nod:

I've read that in a number of places. That's part of what was leading me down the path of using the slightly larger FE rocker shaft diameter. But I'll be honest, I really didn't want to have to bush 12 rockers and potentially the pedestals as well. My hope was to get away with only having to deal with building new pedestals without utilizing any bushings at all.

Bubba you are correct on that. I was just thinking of options and cost.
That is one thing I have always loved and hated about fords. Some their stuff was way over engineered
and superior in strength, but you pay out the rear to upgrade them lol!

One other option I have thought about is the Studebaker 289 rockers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVCX-w7NnW4

I am trying to find measurements for these and where to get them right now.

Mockup pedestals could be 3D printed or made from some scrap wood from the garage. 4x4 that has been cut down to size and drilled could easily get me an initial model. Then I check the final dimensions, draw it, then trick someone into CNC'ing the final part. The "hard" part is the shafts. Those would have to be custom ordered to the right length and either ordered drilled by the vendor or it would have to be something I take to my buddy's house where he has a drill press.

You guy's are onto something. Why not use the FE rockers and find the shaft stock and make pedestals. Makes sense. Or maybe silicon bronze bush the right rockers and voila

Any werd from RAU on the 1.7 ratio progress? They stopped answering my emails. I somehow must have ticked them off or something. ...

I've mentioned before that designing and having an extrusion die made for these rockers would be easy and an economical way to produce these. Here is one I designed for the Slant 6 Chrysler engines a few years back. This can bring the cost per roller rocker down to about $20 each.

rocker%20profileA_zpszzfgfvot.jpg

briefly-
what is the extrusion die (I know in plastics) process?
Thanks.

The one on those pictured is cast, hardened, then machined I'd assume...

I just spoke with Gary this afternoon from Rocker Arms Unlimited. rockerarms.com
He is in the process of ordering material to produce rocker arms.
I told him to go for 1.65-1.7 ratio.
Another thing i mentioned was he has to be price competitive with Yella-Terra full roller arms.
His feelings is he dislikes needle bearing rocker arm fulcrums for street use.
I told him he is mistaken in that opinion.
I also mentioned again he has to be price competitive or below Yella-Terra prices. He agreed.

chad":2vd9hvm7 said:
briefly-
what is the extrusion die (I know in plastics) process?
Thanks.

The one on those pictured is cast, hardened, then machined I'd assume...

The die has the shape of the rocker profile and when the aluminum billet bar is heated, it is forced through the die at extreme pressure to form the shape of the profile as it comes out of the die and it still retains the same strength as the original billet it was made from. Virtually all aluminum roller rocker arm bodies have been made from the extrusion process for the last 30 years or so, so this isn't something that is new or unorthodox by any means. Crane, Crower, Isky, Comp Cams and all the alphabet name brand companies make theirs this way then and now.
Yes, it would still need minimal machining to finish into a completed part, but that's the beauty of the extrusion process, it eliminates a lot of machining time making the process faster and cheaper.

Here is what one looks like.
EXTRUSIONA_zpsopzjurov.jpg

"...all the alphabet name brand companies make theirs this way…"
OK, seen a few of the dull grey - now I know -
that helps.
Thanks!

i can anneal & harden iron - can they do that w/alu? I mean harden it? I would think you would hafta to use as a rocker...

The dull grey ones your talking about are made from an entirely different process as well. I'm talking about the traditional Gold series anodized Crane roller rockers and others that are also anodized by the other companies. Yes, the heat treating is included as part of the extrusion process.

I haven't seen him on here for a couple of years. Not sure what ended up going down.

cr_bobcat":r12gqs0a said:
I haven't seen him on here for a couple of years. Not sure what ended up going down.

quote="BCOWANWHEELS"]since classic inlines is all but gone guess I,ll try to find out what was the intended application for the 1.65 rocker arms hopefully adjustable also who could make the aluminum roller rockers Harland sharp ? also does anybody know the pushrod length with the cupped end and its application. my engine is a 4.1 250. although I,am new to ford 6,s I already miss c/I business[/quote]

BCOWANWHEELS had a farm implement accident, but is back as of May 8, 2018. I think he rocks!

I'm glad he's back, I missed him.

I've been looking at some different rockers, and I'm trying to see what I'm missing. I have a set of Yella Terra 1.65 ratio full roller adjustable rockers. They are virtually indistinguishable from 1.6 comp cams 5.0 v8 full roller rockers. If I drop a pin into the divot in the middle of the YT shaft, line it up with the dimple on the 1.6 5.0 shaft, they have virtually the same push rod cup distance and elevation, and roller tip distance. The YT have additional gusseting around the bottom, and a larger relief cut for the spring. But if the YT can use a 302 spring, and obviously so can the 5.0 rocker, I don't think the relief cut would be an issue.

The Comp Cams 1.72 BBF rocker has a longer nose.

I have a set of full roller FE rockers coming Friday, 1.76 adjustable. It seems that unless I'm missing something, using a YT style locating plate and pedestal system, or an FE style rocker shaft system, it's shouldn't be that hard?

I'm just not sure what I'm missing that has seemingly kept people from doing it yet.

BCOWANWHEELS":2urb913y said:
everybody except those who rebuild total stock engines wants custom rockers. I don't want to step on anybodys toes as CHRIST would not be in it . but I want 1.65 rockers that are adjustable preferably irn or Rachat de crédit meilleur taux crédit alum don't really matter also but I,ve brought serveral items into production for different applications for 3 decades. I,am retired now and really don't want to go thru this for several reasons but I,am gonna because I want a set for my engine. pushrods isn't a problem, hard chrome rocker shafts isn't a problem. theres gotta be a real close if not right on match to the rockers . example fe rockers,292-312 rockers etc. as far as cams if you,ve got a good core isky will regrind your to your spec,s and you,ll know your cam isn't china junk. that's my plan on it. I guess 255 pistons so I don't have to cut head or block down /or not as much.
bob

p/s always open to thoughts or suggestions and if anybody is going to buy this closed business out please contact me so I don't mess you up. ......

Hi i have been following your discussion and i would like to buy this business closed
and I have some questions to ask you in passing regarding this? thank you for your comeback

Back