Seperator plate

CNC-Dude":2ssgbgiq said:
I draw a CAD file for CoupeBoy a while back that was an adapter to bolt a SBF bellhousing to a small 6 bellhousing. I'll see if I can find it. But yes it would be much easier to draw and dimension one from an existing plate.

If you ever find the CAD file for the adapter, could you email it to me also.

got nother "stickie" for the:
General Tech→read only→
(now would this be under engine or transmission?)

You might be able to run without a plate, but it is there to position the starter. The nose fits into the round hole and indexes it to the ring gear. Without the plate the starter can move around a bit on the bolts and may not have the correct clearance distance between starter gear and ring gear.

The SBF V8 engine has two different block plates depending on the size of the flywheel. They are matched to their respective bellhousing. Typically, a 250 would have a 157-tooth flywheel and would need the smaller of the two.

The 240-300 and the 3.8 V6 also have the same bellhousing pattern as the 250, but those normally have the larger 164-tooth flywheel. They are all internally balanced and the flywheel/bellhousing is a direct swap to a 250.

The 200 bb uses a 164 t, is that strange, such large fl wheel on such a small engine. It is 14.211 and the 11" big block chevy is 14.096.

drag-200stang":1vwlljc7 said:
The 200 bb uses a 164 t, is that strange, such large fl wheel on such a small engine. It is 14.211 and the 11" big block chevy is 14.096.

I think that's because of the large torque converter diameter they used for the lock-up C4 trans.

Thanks Jack!

"...The SBF V8 engine has two different block plates depending on the size of the flywheel. They are matched to their respective bellhousing. Typically, a 250 would have a 157-tooth flywheel and would need the smaller of the two… "

What model/yr has the smaller BP used in the 250? I'll get one eventho there's none there now (upgrading frm the 170/3.03). I'll B using the 300/4.9 FW (I got for $20 @ junk yrd). I don't know which SBF bell I have (it came w/the '69 250 I just had machined).

shock: well now I though we were only talking about Block Plates for the car applications using a C4 Auto or a Manual trans. :rolflmao: The truck applications really should be a separate post to keep the confusion to a minimum and even the 250's different possible parts combos is starting to convolute the OP's orig. question. :banghead: Chad now your likely going to have a problem with the 250 bell housing that you got with your engine its likely going to be the small size bell (a Car type) for a 157 tooth flywheel (since the 250's were never offered in a truck application) I am betting the 300 / 4.9 truck flywheel you bought is also going to be the 164 tooth and that won't work with car type bell. So you will need to use a truck bell housing and block plate with that flywheel or flex plate (which ever it is) like using all the parts from the same engine you got the flywheel from so that its all going to fit together. Good luck :nod:

"...all the parts from the same engine…"
correct, yeah, more shock(s)

the 170's FW will not fit the 250, eh?
the 300 FW will not fit the 250's bell - I thought I saw on here the 300 FW was the same as the 250's. Can't find a 250 round here cuz everything 10 yrs old goes to the crusher.

So - block plate and FW search are on now…
Hopefully the exh. port divider will turn around & head back from Clifford's (carryer would not deliver).

chad":pvcrhjco said:
"...all the parts from the same engine…"
correct, yeah, more shock(s)

the 170's FW will not fit the 250, eh?
the 300 FW will not fit the 250's bell - I thought I saw on here the 300 FW was the same as the 250's. Can't find a 250 round here cuz everything 10 yrs old goes to the crusher.

So - block plate and FW search are on now…
Hopefully the exh. port divider will turn around & head back from Clifford's (carryer would not deliver).

1. Nothing from the back of a 170 block will fit the back a 250 block except for maybe a few bolts.

2. Probably not, tell me what the casting numbers are on the bell you want use so I know which one you have for sure. The best practice if you don't know what's going to work is to try and find everthing from the same vehicle.

3. The 300 164 tooth Flywheel can bolt on be used on the 250 but you also need to use the right 300 truck block plate and 300 truck bell together with it.

4. To use a car type bell from a 250 or SBF V8 (302, 5.0, 351 W & C, mid 1965 up 289's these all use the same 6 bolt bells) you would then need to find the smaller car flywheel (157 tooth) if you can't find a 250 flywheel look for a zero imbalance V8 flywheel or mod a stock V8 flywheel for use on the 250 by having the counter weight machined off and re-balance it to a zero imbalance. Best of luck in your quest. :nod:

"...stock V8 flywheel for use on the 250 by having the counter weight machined off and re-balance it to a zero imbalance…"
that might B it if cheeper than purchase/shipping. I can grind off the weights w/a 4.5 inch grinder but not sure I can 'rebalance' it w/o a machinist & (I assume) lath.

"...tell me what the casting numbers are on the bell …"
thanks, that will be awhile as I don't visit each wk. I will be using it as it was shipped w/the 250.

"...from the same vehicle…"
this 1 is just about 'nothing from the same vehicle' . Like frank perdue - "pieces parts".

chad":1ubv5oxs said:
"...stock V8 flywheel for use on the 250 by having the counter weight machined off and re-balance it to a zero balance…"
that might B it if cheeper than purchase/shipping. I can grind off the weights w/a 4.5 inch grinder but not sure I can 'rebalance' it w/o a machinist & (I assume) lath.

thanks, that will be awhile as I don't visit each wk. I will be using it as it was shipped w/the 250.

this 1 is just about 'nothing from the same vehicle' . Like frank perdue - "pieces parts".

Yes a lath would be the ideal to machine off the counter weight (most of SBF V8 Ford engine flywheels will be a 28.2 oz. imbalance the 1981 up 5.0 is a 50oz. Imbalance) as for balancing yes it needs to be spun. An old timer once showed me how to balance a tire on a front wheel. When its in an exact vertical plane the heaviest part will always go to the bottom make a chock mark there so you then need to add weight to the opposite side (in this case the top) and when it's balanced right the wheel doesn't move anymore when you place the chock Mark 90 degrees to the bottom (to the side) or no matter where you place it. If you could make a fixture where there is no friction to the flywheel turning you could use that same process in reverse removing weight as needed until it's Mark always stays anywhere you place it. Good luck Chad :nod: Edited

bubba22349":1bhnfjlh said:
chad":1bhnfjlh said:
"...stock V8 flywheel for use on the 250 by having the counter weight machined off and re-balance it to a zero balance…"

Yes a lath would be idel to machine off the counter weight (a V8 Ford flywheel is eight 28 oz. or 50oz. Imbalance depending on the year around 1980 and before or 1981 and up) as for balancing yes it needs to be spun. An old timer once showed me how to balance a tire on a front wheel. When its in an exact vertical plane the heaviest part always goes to the bottom so you add weight to the opposite side (in this case the top) and when it's balanced right the wheel doesn't move anymore no matter where you place it. If you could make a fixture were there is no friction to the flywheel turning you could use that same process in reverse removing weight as needed until it's stays anywhere you place it. Good luck :nod:

with a couple mods, A motorcycle wheel balancing stand might work... but I would just take it to the machine shop, it won't cost much...
31rd7cjqsJL._SY300_.jpg

:beer: x2 yes I think that would probably work good but it could take lots of time though.

Just to throw this out there:

I have a good "large bell" c-4 for 164 tooth flywheel (70's), that would work with the flywheel you have, and i have the block plate for it as well that I need to get rid of cheap, as I am not going to use it (it came with an engine I did use), it has a shift kit in it, and a good torque converter. Shipping might be unreasonable though...

chad":nug5hecj said:
"...stock V8 flywheel for use on the 250 by having the counter weight machined off and re-balance it to a zero imbalance…"

You can find aftermarket SBF flywheels that have the weight bolted on, just remove the weight for zero balance.
I purchased a SBF flywheel for an internally balanced 331cid stroker.

rocklord":w6tgmpvp said:

You can find aftermarket SBF flywheels that have the weight bolted on, just remove the weight for zero balance.
I purchased a SBF flywheel for an internally balanced 331cid stroker.

Thanks for the idea!

I need the correct # of teeth too…
Who just bolts them on. I've not seen that -
I'll search the company (if you post the name) for availability and cost.

Back