Seperator plate

Spankys66

I have a question. I pulled the motor and trans. out of my 66 Mustang w/ 200 ci and had both rebuilt. When I reinstalled them my mechanic friend who helped wanted to know where my separator was. Well it did not have one when I pulled the motor so my question is wether or not I need one?
Mark

Is the block plate the same as the inspection plate I have one of those.

The plate you must have is a 1/8" inch or so thick plate that is about the same shape as the bell housing face, and has a hole in it for the starter, it must be installed before the flywheel (as it is behind it), and goes between the engine, and bell housing, and also between the starter and bell housing.

flat, thin (almost like sheet metal) large (as a silluett of the whole engine), with cut out for starter…
"adapter plate, block plate, engine/transmission seperator"

any one got a pic, part number, link or a supplier site?
can't see anything on summit or jegs, only 1 on carpart dot com

It is not 1/8 thick it is 16guage steel and yes you need it, You can not buy a new one and there are two different size ones. Make sure that you have the large or small bell housing pattern. I didn't have one and it messed up my torque converter seal, I couldn't find the small pattern I needed so I made one.

For automatic tranny: (bottom half is the "inspection plate")
$_1.JPG

There are a few on eBay...

I ordered one from NPD sight unseen so i'm hoping it is the right one, did not know they made two different sizes. Hope it works. Thanks for the great picture.

Thanks 4 the pic Ric !!
Got ideas about how the bottom looks for the manual?
Trace it or otherwise save the pattern B4 installing if you would, please. I'm sure we 2, 3 are not the only 1s interested here (now or into the future).

Never saw it in 2 haves. Did U save the lower or make the whole thing?
Too bad CnCDude aint here. Bet he could make a computer sketched 'template"...

I just happen to have the bottom half, if the top half I ordered works I will post part number once I figure this out. Had I shipped 3 day ground should be here Thursday. Thanks for the info guys, as always someone is willing to share their experience, very grateful. :D
Mark

chad":vo9vnfag said:
Thanks 4 the pic Ric !!
Got ideas about how the bottom looks for the manual?
Trace it or otherwise save the pattern B4 installing if you would, please. I'm sure we 2, 3 are not the only 1s interested here (now or into the future).

Never saw it in 2 haves. Did U save the lower or make the whole thing?

The two piece is for automatic cars (so you can get the torque converter bolts out), if you have a manual, it is a one piece plate that is different

BCOWANWHEELS, in your case the block plate to fit your 250 will be pretty easy to find as it's the same as used in front of a V8 C4 trans. Look for one that is off any 6 bolt SBF like a 289, 302, 351 W or C engine! Good luck in the hunt :nod:

BCOWANWHEELS, in your case the block plate to fit your 250 will be pretty easy to find as it's the same as used in front of a V8 C4 trans. Look for one that is off any 6 bolt SBF like a 289, 302, 351 W or C engine! Good luck in the hunt

I have a brand new Aluminum laser cut one for a SBF/C4 I don't need, and am willing to sell cheap.

chad":19rzv6ak said:

I draw a CAD file for CoupeBoy a while back that was an adapter to bolt a SBF bellhousing to a small 6 bellhousing. I'll see if I can find it. But yes it would be much easier to draw and dimension one from an existing plate.

OK, seems like everybody is at the party now, so 1 last time, just for me cuz I'm ignorant -

1) that pictured is for an auto,
2) the manual looks identical except is not in 2 units and
3) the same (due to 250's SBF bell) one from a SBF will work (for either).

I ask because I'll soon put my motor back in w/ the 3.03 only to later rebuild the C4 and install that…

Thanks for ur patients, help and understanding...

chad":1g5nt7ul said:
OK, seems like everybody is at the party now, so 1 last time, just for me cuz I'm ignorant -

1) that pictured is for an auto,

1. :unsure: Yes Chad, that's correct!

2) the manual looks identical except is not in 2 units and

2. 8) Kind of, but the Manual trans plate is a bit different the bottom section has no ribbing, it is made of a single flat plate!

3) the same (due to 250's SBF bell) one from a SBF will work (for either).

3. :shock: Yes and No!

4. :arrow: First in this case the 250 blocks are different from all the other small sixes like the (200's, 170's, 144's). So there is no interchange between the 250 and any of the other small sixes.

5. (y) Yes the 250 blocks do share the same bell housing pattern with the 6 bolt SBF V8's (starting from the mid 1965 289 and up). So yes a SBF V8 block plate also works on the 250. Good luck :nod:

I ask because I'll soon put my motor back in w/ the 3.03 only to later rebuild the C4 and install that…

Thanks for ur patients, help and understanding...

great!
Thanx ALL,
(no need for template, program, etc.)

Back