RAU ORDER SHIPPED

BCOWANWHEELS

WELL GOT A CALL FROM RAU today, my adjustable rocker assys, pushrods for them also my anti pump up Johnson hi-lift lifters all shipped today. I was told there is very few adj. rockers left to sell and there is no source for anymore with the exception of the new aluminum roller rockers under development left. so you fellas better get off the pot and get them is my advise to yall. I cant give any pricing as per rau,s request. I,d like to post a review with pictures when it all arrives but I cant because I cant post pictures. if somebody will post them I,d be happy to do a review and send pics to post. I got 1.6 ratio which is far from the stock 1.43 that came from ford and will be good enough for my 63 comet d/d
bob

Here are pictures of the rocker arms from RAU 1.6 ratio. I got the same info as BCOWANWHEELS
I was told there is very few adj. rockers left to sell and there is no source for anymore with the exception of the new aluminum roller rockers under development left.[/quote said:
I'm happy with what it got - I don't think you can build rockers for any less than what they're charging and I haven't found any alternatives besides Yella
Terra which is quite a bit more expensive.
Ltv3mk.jpg

SC8Zvc.jpg

Look good! I see what they did there with the new angle on the adjuster with the larger bolt. Looks like they do great work! I'm looking forward to see what they come out with for the 1.65-1.7 range!

I also can't wait to see what you do with that sawed off log! :beer:

I called and talked to them yesterday and it was a real pleasure to talk to him. I sent them my contact info and he's going to let me know what happens with the new high ratio experiment. We did talk about the YT rollers and I mentioned that my preference would be to stay away from having to get the oil-through lifters and pushrods as I don't really want to have to buy another set of lifters or have to make additional modifications to the head.

He does sound very excited. He was digging it when he heard about some of the different builds on here utilizing EFI, turbos, and superchargers. My hopes are that we can generate enough business for these guys to make it worth their time.

It sounds like it'll still be awhile till they're ready. So I guess in the meantime, I'll press forward with using my 1.5 adjustables until the new setup is available.

Cheers! :beer:

personally for a d/d usage I,d prefer the iron rockers. but for race applications aluminum would be better. keep in mind if you go past 1.6 ratio your gonna have to run longer valves , different valve springs plus more mods. gets real pricey quickly

That's why I made sure that I got springs that were supposed to be good for up to 0.700 lift. This is assuming Mike got allnof the specs right for the small 6 install height...

BCOWANWHEELS":2wxtwhf5 said:
personally for a d/d usage I,d prefer the iron rockers. but for race applications aluminum would be better. keep in mind if you go past 1.6 ratio your gonna have to run longer valves , different valve springs plus more mods. gets real pricey quickly

Sure does. Great thing is though, your totally on the right track. The valve spring and valve quality allows you to use non roller tip high ratio rockers, and still get huge increases in torque and power.

Everything changed when Ford decided to copy the porcupine Mark IV Mystery Motors 1.73:1 Chevy head and rocker arm pivots during the Knudsen era. Lee Morse was working on the Tunnel Port 289, a true G code thumper that used modified end supported Y block 1.6:1 rockers like this. Ford just decided to use the 351C heads instead to conquer the DZ 302 CrossRam Z/28. The FE valve gear was then left behind for ever, and it has been left to FE hardliners to do the work that Ford decided to opt out of. It was a comercial descison to follow the canted valve route. Based on the economics of chamber design and emissions from what Ford and Honda learned together in the late 70's, it was the wrong one. Wedge heads a re very cheap, very efficient, and the rocker gear pays for itself in durability.

In the days befroe titanium valve springs, they rocker shaft and rocker weight made rocker shaft engines spring surge prone. The big FE 427 just coped with things in a 7000 rpm Le Mans or NASCAR environment, but not in the 9000 rpm the Tunnel Port ran to.

The Boss 302, 335 and 385 engines could cope with a Super Cobra Jet cam grind, and the whole reason the engines in race settings ran side oiler porting was that the canted valve engines would shear valve springs when oil flow was restricted. So they just drained of the oil and kept the valve springs soaked.

Lee Morse was the Godfarther of proper valve gear development. The fact that the Tunnel Port was not put into production was Fords slight of hand...they 289 block of that era is what all 5.0 Windsor OHV engines are based on. The Tunnel Port was consdered a dead end, but it used straight Y block rocker gear, and reved to 9 grand.

DryDeck12point5toone289tp1of2.jpg
DryDeck12point5toone289tp2of2.jpg

This period Ford photo shows a Tunnel Port race head complete with the original rocker-shaft assembly. Former Ford engineer Lee Morse assisted with the Tunnel Port project despite a primary assignment developing the race version of the Boss 302, and explained that while the shaft assembly did a great job in terms of stability, high rpm and heavy valves played havoc with valvesprings (titanium valves were on the verge of debut).

Where things were headed PRIOR TO 1969 was independent runner engines with FE rocker gear, like the Gurney Weslake OHV cylinder head for the GT40 305 engines. This was copied by Dodge for another Indy project engine, which was probably why Ford opted out of rocker shaft engines for the US. Except for the Eurpean Touring car wining Colgne RS 2600.

Thomas #717's were 1.6:1 aluminum/magnesium items like this back in the day.

tHOMAS%20hASH%20717%201POINT%206%20TO%20ONE%20MAG%20ROCKERS.jpg

Be nice to see someone make some money from speed equipment, not a loss.

"… the porcupine Mark IV Mystery Motors 1.73:1 Chevy head and rocker arm pivots…"
"… Thomas #717's were 1.6:1 aluminum/magnesium items like this…"

so no pic of any 1.7 to 1 rocker assemblys for these US Falcon engines? Is such a thing made? Springs, shafts, pedistals and valve stem lengths
are the other changes required to run this increase? Or can the same shaft be used? No special cam grinds?
Thanks,

when you go to extreame ratio rockers it about a 2k investment time its all said and done. and using these cheap SI valves is out of the question then. why not stick with 1.6 and just increase cam lift at the cam lobe. its just a hobby don't put your life savings in this.. also very few will actually buy anything I,ve noticed. especially the ones that do all this wild extreame posting, guess there just exercising there mind.

stock vale stem length wont allow you to go much over .500 total lift. after that longer stems is needed along with different springs etc.. got my rau parts today. just like above TOP posted picture of them.

P/S
ANOTHER THING I,VE NOTICED IN THE ROCKER ASSYS. FROM RAU. ONCE YOU GET THEM DONT THINK ITS JUST A READY TO BOLT ON AND GO CAUSE IT ISNT. THE ENTIRE ASSY NEEDS TO BE 100% DISSASEMBLED THEN EACK ROCKER HAS TO HAVE THE CASTING POLISHED UP ON THE CASTING LINES AND WHERE METAL WAS INJECTED IN THE MOLDS ETC. THERE ARE A FEW ROCKERS WITH SIDE PLAY (WIGGLE) AND MOST OF THEM FEEL GRITTY NOT SMOOTH LIKE A ROCKER ON A SHAFT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ! AT LEAST 1/3 OF THEM HAVE WIGGLE IN THE ADJUSTING BOLTS TOO...GONNA CALL THEM MONDAY ABOUT THIS. JUST MIGHT SEND THEM BACK !!!!!!!!!!! THE CLOSER I LOOK THE MORE DISSAPOINTED I AM. MAKES ME WONDER IF I SHOULDNT HAVE GOTTEN Y/T ROCKERS..................

I called rau and they was very nice and understanding.had me ship them back and said they would refund shipping cost and make things right. codos so far..........

well my returned rau order made it back to rau and there was knowbody there to sign for it !!!!!!!!!!! this is beginning to look real SHADEY. IF I WAS YOU FELLAS I,D HOLD OFF ON ANY RAU ORDERS FOR PRESENT TIME............ THEY KNEW MY ORDER WAS DUE BACK THERE TODAY FRIDAY.............................

Hate to hear that......I was waiting on the roller rockers..... hope it gets resolved.

I've used RAU twice for the Ford 6. My rockers looked and worked great. Some of the gritty feel may just come from the tension springs grabbing on the side of the rocker ?
I did disassemble mine and they were perfectly clean inside.
They were always easy to talk to on the phone , it may be worth a phone call to clear up your concerns.
DannyG

Back