Large log rebuild and 2V swap

Hi,
I've got a lead in CA, not the same guy that did work for Classic Inlines though.
Jeff is very knowledgeable about our sixes and the cylinder head I got from him came out great.
He sells on ebay as " 1hotvega" if you want to search his auctions.
Text from one of his ads states:
These Engines are custom built to Order. I do not keep completed engines in stock. Lead time is between 3-4 weeks. If you would like to make modifications or need more information please feel free to call me. 559-313-1454. Thanks Jeff
2 Barrel Conversion: The weakest aspect of the Ford small six engine is the stock 1V carburetor. Upgrades are difficult due to the cast intergal intake manifold. Our modified heads are the finest log head available for these engines. They have been upgraded to accept either an Autolite 2100 carburetor or a Holley 2 Barrel. This is the single best modification you can do to your engine. Back to back dyno testing by Classic Inlines showed a 23hp gain over a stock carburetor at the rear wheels. My 2V conversions consist of a furnace brazed steel adapter. Please check my other auctions for more details about the extensive machining process involved in the conversion.

Cylinder Head: After the 2 barrel conversion process the head is treated to a professional rebuild. All of the upgrades listed in the valve train are performed and the head is pocket ported. The area under the valve seat is ported and any casting flash or defects in the log intake are removed. Finally the valve seats are reground with the standard 3 angle valve job 30-45-60. All valves are hand lapped, 30 degree back cut on the exhaust and the head is assembled with new valves, springs and neoprene umbrella type stem seals. After assembly the head is cc’d and milled to give a final compression ratio of 9.25:1.

Hope this helps,
DannyG

DannyG":k7qkeztg said:
Hi,
I've got a lead in CA, not the same guy that did work for Classic INines though.
Jeff was very knowledgeable about our sixes and the cylindewr head I got from him came out great.
These Engines are custom built to Order. I do not keep completed engines in stock. Lead time is between 3-4 weeks. If you would like to make modifications or need more information please feel free to call me. 559-313-1454. Thanks Jeff
2 Barrel Conversion: The weakest aspect of the Ford small six engine is the stock 1V carburetor. Upgrades are difficult due to the cast intergal intake manifold. Our modified heads are the finest log head available for these engines. They have been upgraded to accept either an Autolite 2100 carburetor or a Holley 2 Barrel. This is the single best modification you can do to your engine. Back to back dyno testing by Classic Inlines showed a 23hp gain over a stock carburetor at the rear wheels. My 2V conversions consist of a furnace brazed steel adapter. Please check my other auctions for more details about the extensive machining process involved in the conversion.

Cylinder Head: After the 2 barrel conversion process the head is treated to a professional rebuild. All of the upgrades listed in the valve train are performed and the head is pocket ported. The area under the valve seat is ported and any casting flash or defects in the log intake are removed. Finally the valve seats are reground with the standard 3 angle valve job 30-45-60. All valves are hand lapped, 30 degree back cut on the exhaust and the head is assembled with new valves, springs and neoprene umbrella type stem seals. After assembly the head is cc’d and milled to give a final compression ratio of 9.25:1.

Hope this helps,
DannyG

I emailed him last week and he does not do the conversion for Webers unfortunately.

I emailed him last week and he does not do the conversion for Webers unfortunately.

Just get a holley head, and use an adapter, since the holley mounting is larger, using the adapter won't really hurt flow.

DannyG":z3dj70iv said:
Hi,
I've got a lead in CA, not the same guy that did work for Classic INines though.
Jeff was very knowledgeable about our sixes and the cylindewr head I got from him came out great.

Hope this helps,
DannyG
Danny, what is the cost of his heads??

His stuff is usually in the 1200 - 1600 range. He has an Offy setup out there right now for 1600. Maybe a little high but not outlandish if you assume $100 for a core, $700-800 worth of machine work, call the vavles and springs at 200 and that doesn't leave a huge mark up at the end. The Offy is another $300+ for the setup...

cr_bobcat":3iacbn64 said:
His stuff is usually in the 1200 - 1600 range. He has an Offy setup out there right now for 1600. Maybe a little high but not outlandish if you assume $100 for a core, $700-800 worth of machine work, call the vavles and springs at 200 and that doesn't leave a huge mark up at the end. The Offy is another $300+ for the setup...

You nailed it. Compare that price to the 600-650 plus parts stated by Mike on the CI site it seems a bit steep to me.

Last September he charged me $ 750 for the complete head, no core charge. All new SI valves, guides,springs, valve bowl clean up, milled etc. I stayed with the 1 barrel intake .He also worked with me on the shipping, as I have a UPS account I sent him a shipping label for it ( 65 lbs !).
Looks like it may be $900 now on ebay ? Best deal may be to call him directly.
DannyG

I haven't looked at any of his listings that don't include at least a 2bbl upgrade. Of course anything posted to ebay is basically fishing for what people are willing to pay, so I would tend to agree that calling him might be the best route. They do look pretty from the pictures.

How about the exhaust port divider???

I didn't ask about it, it seems like the jury is still out on the benefits of the divider ?
DannyG

DannyG":wmffsuxp said:
I didn't ask about it, it seems like the jury is still out on the benefits of the divider ?
DannyG
except when fitting the headers - I believe opinions increase a few percentage points in the latter cases...

chad":1nzxuk03 said:
DannyG":1nzxuk03 said:
DannyG
except when fitting the headers - I believe opinions increase a few percentage points in the latter cases...

Really? I wasn't aware. I too thought the jury was out on the port divider.

Howdy All:

It seems to me that the "Jury is still out" on the port dividers only because some haven't taken the time to properly fit and weld in the divider. When not properly welded in they can come loose and rattle. Clifford used to claim a 15% increase by adding the divider. That is very, VERY optimistic. My guess is more like a 2 to 4 % increase with a log manifold and 7 to 10% increase when using a header. The increase is mostly likely higher at higher rpms.

IF the divider is properly fitted and welded in in three spots as recommended, having it come loose is quite unlikely.

Here are the hard facts; parts are expensive. A port divider is $20 last time I checked. SI valves, 1.6:1 rocker arms, Valve springs, etc.. are more expensive, and no one questions the performance increase potential on these items, yet no one, TMK, has gone to the trouble, expense and process to individually install and quantify the effect of each of these separately. My point is no one can tell you, for sure, what benefit will come from what, but we all know that they work.

So, buying a port divider, properly fitting and welding it in at the time the head is down for machining is IMHO a no-brainer. Does it have any Coolness factor? No! It's just a grungy piece of iron that no one sees, but in your heart you know it's there and doing it's job on making a poor exhaust port layout just a little better.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Adios, David

Good word David, I had my divider solidly welded in and I have ported significantly and polished it also. On my 69 250 head I sectioned about 2 inches of the log intake between cylinders 2 and 3 and 4 and 5, and had it welded up. Then we fabricated a 2 inch square log mounted on top of the existing log with 3- 2 port inputs. My goal is to better equalize the flow to each cylinder. This will be a drag race only engine. It has taken much work and money to do this yet I hope it will perform well. I do not know if I am the first to do this modification, as of yet I have not heard of others doing this. I use your book all the time. Thanks Randy

David , I forgot to add, I got the 2 barrel adapter from Will in Tucson and had it welded to my new log. I will run a 500 cfm Holley e-85 carb.

sp_alloy_head":3anjje6f said:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/l-and-r-engines-santa-fe-springs?osq=L%26R+auto

Call L&R Auto, they're in southern California and they understand I6s. Ask for Derek, he now runs the shop for his father.

I'll get in contact with them. Thanks.

I do 2V conversions on 200/250 Ford heads. My conversions start with a 1/4 steel adapter furnace brazed to the existing log head, after machining an aluminum adapter is bolted to the steel plate. The reason I use the steel adapter is to maintain the 3 degree angle which the factory carburetor pad is machined to. When one of my heads is installed in the car the carburetor remains level. If you flat mill the log intake the carburetor sits at an angle. With a side hung float Holley or Autolite carburetor this can cause flooding issues. With a 2100 Autolite carburetor my complete conversion is actually 1/2 shorter then a factory 1100 carburetor with water heated adapter, so it will fit under a 1967 and newer Mustang hood and in a 1st generation bronco. Cost to braze and install adapter and do necessary porting to the intake is $750. I can be reached at 559-313-1454 or hotvega73@yahoo.com

Back