Old school motor to freshen up

sprint86

I got a 200 ci motor I built back in high school 1978-1979? I ran a tri power set up, Clifford cam and header. I built a custom deep sump pan for my ranchero. The tie rod went thru the pan. Also ran the old dageham English four speed but after breaking a few of them I ran a Doug ash five speed. Well I am looking at going thru it. I like to know what if any new mods I should do. I remember why I parked it. The cam bearings went bad. I don't have a car for it now but kept this thing hoping some day to go thru it and have some fun.

W E L C O M E !!! to the site and esp. THIS forum. Lotta good guys, plenty experience/knowledge.
Don't C a location, plez tell me where U R located (in general).

2X last suggestion,
B sure 2 upgrade to the DSII,
1.6 rockers seem to B coming (guys here R asking the manufacturers),
may B the 'shelby drop' & frnt discs depending on the driving U do.
U know they use the T5 now (the bent 8 one)?

What is the specific application end goal.
"...no car..." sounds like a 'commuter'…?
"...have some fun…" hope that means in the re-building but might mean on the road, track, strip?

Kouwell!
I think U got some elevation there (carb tuning issue).
What kinda use will the car see? Mall craw, rally, motor cross?

My thought is to build a highboy with the motor and the Doug Nash 5 speed. What is involve to get a Alum head and induction?

Howdy Sprint86:

And Welcome to the Forum. I see you've been regestered since '2011, but a seldom poster. Anyway welcome back. I love the sound of your project. I've often dreamed of a sprint T with a tri-power inline six.

If your engine failed because of cam bearing issues it's very likely you'll be doing a complete tear-down. That's the time to assess and plan for your upgrades. In the meantime assess your budget. What carbs did you use back in the day? What year casting code on the head? What is the elevation at Auburn?

Keep us posted on your progress and your planning.

Adios, David

"… highboy…"
to me that means a pre 60's -1977.5 Ford F-250 4x4 with the narrower frame.
there are some alu heads on ebay and possibly on our sell it forum…

chad":3rubul43 said:
"… highboy…"
to me that means a pre 60's -1977.5 Ford F-250 4x4 with the narrower frame.
there are some alu heads on ebay and possibly on our sell it forum…

or it could be a 30s ford street rod, that has not been lowered...

mmm, like um both,
'73 - 9 ford highboys
and
mid/late '30s - very early '50s USA cars
!
puta 4.9 efi in 1 & drive off into the sunset happily ever after

Not quite sure why you would spend the time putting a 200 in a 70's truck, but if you do, to each his own. If we were talking a 300 I could see it. I put a 6 cylinder in my '79 F250. Granted it has 359 CI and burns oil (intentionally).
I'd second the DSII or other electronic ignition. The DSII made my '66 Mustang a totally different mannered pony, especially on start up.

jimlj66":1bbadduq said:
Not quite sure why you would spend the time putting a 200 in a 70's truck, but if you do, to each his own. If we were talking a 300 I could see it. I put a 6 cylinder in my '79 F250. Granted it has 359 CI and burns oil (intentionally).
I'd second the DSII or other electronic ignition. The DSII made my '66 Mustang a totally different mannered pony, especially on start up.

From the context, I am fairly certain he meant "highboy" to mean something like this:
ea8c5bb721e4537e4441d60400d9ecf8.jpg

B a shame to 'sand blast' a sweet paint job like that runnin no fenders
I like the 'motorcycle' style
immagine a 200 x-flow under the hood?

:beer: X2 I am fairly sure that the OP is talking a Street Rod build! A High Boy in those terms simply means the early Ford (usually a 1932 or older there are some exceptions up into the mid 1930's) with the body is set on top of the frame rails. The first ones were built during the 1930's or if you include the Model T speedsters in than in the 1920's. And they could be built with some cut down rear fenders and a pair of cycle fenders on the front, though often they were just built with no fenders too be as light as possible.

Just a few more of the many old timer Ford descriptions form the 1940's to 1960's

A true Hot Rod always had a Ford Flathead V8
A Banger usally had a 4 cylinder Ford Flathead
A Street Rod used other brands of engines like a Brand X V8 we all know
The Fat Fender's are the 1935 to 1948 Ford and Mercury cars 1935 to 1947 Ford pickup trucks
The Shoe Boxes are the 1949 to 1954 Fords and Mercury's

Good luck :nod:

“…with some cut down rear fenders and cycle fenders on the front,
had a Ford Flathead V8,
’32 / 3 – ’51 / 2…”
some kinda I beam , drop axel in frnt, that 'hair pin' on the outside of the body 4 the steering…
now you’re talking!
Actually, what am I sayin? I like em best fully stock (no ‘concourse’ correct needed tho)

No not a pickup, yes a 32 highboy.
I have yet to tear the motor completely down.
As for the alum head, which one will work? Induction?
Another option is to used a old hilborn injection manifold from my midget racing days and use electronic injectors?
Anyone done that?
Just don't know what the best combo is.

Greg Shelton has a full hilborn set-up for a 144-170 for sale. It is complete with pump and all plumbing. If you were actually going to run it on the street it can be converted to electronic and it works very well. I have another customer in Australia (Races in a class that cannot use a crossflow head, must use 1964 or older heads) who mills the intake flange flat and uses three side draft weber carbs. Once the intake is milled off the head can be drilled and tapped for a steel adapter plate and the intake options are endless.

Back