Carburetor Questions

embergloP51

Hey all, I'm finally in a place where I can put some money into my car, but with AZCoupe's passing and the Classic Inlines site on hold, I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'm looking for a new carb so I can ditch the Load-O-Matic. The goal is to eventually turbo the motor, but I'm keeping it as a driver so nothing too crazy. I'd like to keep the stock accelerator linkage unless it's completely impossible?

Questions...

Can I put a 2 bbl carb on it and keep the stock linkage? I'd like to do a Weber 32/36 if possible. Although a Holley 2bbl would be easiest to boost.

Where can I get the parts to do the conversion now? Carb, spacer, etc?

Does anybody have part numbers for Autolite 1100s that do not have the spark control valve?

Or is there another 1bbl I can use that will just bolt on in place of the stock carb?

Thanks!

Howdy Back Ryan:

The only 1100 that came factory stock without a SCV is the 1100 from '1968 & '69 on 200. There were some CalifEm on 200s in '66 &'67 but hard to come by. The distributors from these years was a point type with both vacuum advance and centrifugal. The down side is that these years were down sized from 185 cfm to 150- not what you want.

The only other option to maintain stock linkage and increase performance is an 1101 from a 1969 Mustang with a 250 engine. They utilize a ported vacuum source for a later distributor. They are rated at 215 cfm. The only adaptation is the need to flare out the top of the manifold inlet to allow the larger butterfly valve to clear. That carb with a Dura Spark II distributor will make a surprising difference for a basically stock engine.

Sorry, I can't help you on your other options. Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

Thanks for the reply David.

I'm curious how difficult it is to modify the opening in the head to accept the larger 1101? I'd be worried about getting metal filings in the intake.

I'm curious what the make and model of the universal 1bbl is that CI was selling? And if there's anywhere else to get them?

Below is a link to a 1904/08 replacement carb which can easily be substituted for the 1100/01 . It is not LOM , is alcohol resistant and comes with an adjustable main jet and a good sized venturi . There may be another seller but this is the the only one of which I am aware . They also have have air filter adaption components plus other stuff for it . http://daytonaparts.com/universal-repla ... retor.html

I HAVE A NICE carb off my 1971 large log maverick engine, its a 155hp stock 250 engine. it should be a nice improvement over your 200 carb. I also have matching exhaust manifold/
bob
1-423-384-8938

Howdy Back Ryan:

The mod to adapt the 1101 to a smaller inlet hole is not difficult. I stuffed oily rags into the manifold and used a rat tailed file to flare to hole top. I was careful pulling the rags out after filing to make sure they didn't get on anything else either. I hope that helps.

Adios, David

"...I HAVE A NICE carb off my 1971 large log maverick engine, its a 155hp stock 250 engine…"
the Carter RBS is another option (needing 'the flair') for an increase in performance (brings 215 cfm as mentioned by Mr. Schjeldahl - David in he & his brother's Performance Handbook). Many of us here recommend this manual for some 1 at your stage of engine build for solid, quality info on upgrades, cost savings, machining and whole car modifications. That and page after page of entries on Mike's CI site took me quite far in my understanding, machine shop recommendations, purchases, etc. toward a good end goal on my bronk.

Finally, I believe you mentioned converting from n/a carb to "other". the site has a forum or 2 on those options.

Also try

http://www.falcon6handbook.com/

for an inexpensive hard copy of this manual !
at 32 posts I hope it's not too late to say
W E L C O M E !!!
to the site, don't 4get the classic inlines site if not visiting there yet!

CZLN6":wkx56lr4 said:
Howdy Back Ryan:

The mod to adapt the 1101 to a smaller inlet hole is not difficult. I stuffed oily rags into the manifold and used a rat tailed file to flare to hole top. I was careful pulling the rags out after filing to make sure they didn't get on anything else either. I hope that helps.

Adios, David

David,

I noticed that the bottom of the 1101 is wider than the 1100 carb mount. What did you do to avoid air leak? Did you make a custom gasket?

Tom

For what it's worth, I run the Holley 'replacement' (#1940) on my 62 144. It does not have a SCV, and has ported vacuum. So I think they were made in both versions. In fact, I once replaced it with a SCV unit--since that's what the car is supposed to have--and I could tell no difference. The spark advanced ok with both versions....go figure

rbohm -
Does that 250/300 (surprised the same 'throat' fits those 2 motors)
fit the 200 w/the hand filed mod we do on these? B cool if so cuz it must have a bunch more CFMs…
Thanks ~

chad":9uxq5aox said:
Rich -
Does that 250/300 (surprised the same 'throat' fits those 2 motors)
fit the 200 w/the hand filed mod we do on these? B cool if so cuz it must have a bunch more CFMs…
Thanks ~

If you have the 1.75" inlet no filing required (I had a carter yf on my 200 with M-code head before starting the EFI/Turbo build)

Howdy All:

Sorry, I've been AFK. Part # for '66 and '67 1100 that do not have SCV are-
1966 C/E- Manual choke, C6DF-C. Auto choke, C6OF-G.
1967 C/E- Manual choke, C7OF-N. Auto choke, C7OF-R.
All of these carbs have a 150 cfm rating. All none C/E 1100 on the 200 engines are rated at 185 cfm.
Unfortunately few 1100s of this era are stamped on the foot like earlier years so if the ID tag is gone you'll have to measure and deduce.

The 1969 250 Autolite 1101 Part numbers are as follows. This is also a non-SCV carb and are rated at 210 cfm.
Manual choke, C9OF-B. Auto choke, C9OF- A.

The carb Bob offered off of his Maverick 250 is a Carter RBS. It is a non-SCV carb but has different linkage than your stock linkage. It also has a larger throttle bore and wider mounting bolt spacing. On the bolt spacing, it can be solved by slotting out the mounting holes to accommodate.

As far as sealing, I probably used an old gasket. Never had a vacuum leak there. The mismatch between the two throttle bores is slight.

Adios, David

A phenolic spacer from an early Chevy 235 six cylinder works well to adapt an 1101 carburetor to a 200. They are about 1/2 thick. Use 2 longer studs and your stock aluminum adapter. The phenolic spacer gives a little extra sealing surface for the 1101.

Back