cam

BCOWANWHEELS

well I was going to order a clay smith cam last Monday and I asked them about increasing the size of timming gear dowl pin to sbf size and they instantly to be "no" so off to other cam companys now.

well I was going to order a clay smith cam last Monday and I asked them about increasing the size of timming gear dowl pin to sbf size and they instantly to be "no" so off to other cam companys now.

They must have a good reason for saying no (perhaps it creates another weak(er) link), from my interactions with them, they seemed happy to do custom work, but perhaps thats only as far as "grinds" go...

That said, you you really need it?

On a different note, how many companies make non-stock cams for the small six? I know of clay, comp, and isky...

RichCreations":191mbk3p said:
On a different note, how many companies make non-stock cams for the small six? I know of clay, comp, and isky...
Schneider and Crane come to mind 1st as other folks who have em readily on the shelf at this time…

May B google it?

crower is engineering the nose of a new core cam for sbf application. c/s will not do custom work as they led me to believe. as usual crower "is" a custom cam company. I,ve used them since 1964.

i PURCHASED A SEMI cUSTOM CAN FROM cRANE YEARS AGO for my 250 its a solid lifter with what they called shell lifters.
Engle is another company I purchased custom cams from recently a hyd roller for my 460.

ENGLE isn't the engle of old,isky is don't know about the rest. if it works out crower for me. sdame with springs etc. I,ve got new Johnson hi-lift anti pumpup lifters and rau pushrods. wont be long till time for pistons n rings, bearings etc.

BCOWANWHEELS":34caseij said:
...,isky is don't know about the rest...

Yes, Mr. Iskedarian's son has started to answer the phone more than he now and is very knowledgable - able to guide you in the design & machining of a new custom cam from their 'shop'.

chad":bqaktqnv said:
BCOWANWHEELS":bqaktqnv said:
...,isky is don't know about the rest...

Yes, Mr. Iskedarian's son has started to answer the phone more than he now and is very knowledgable - able to guide you in the design & machining of a new custom cam from their 'shop'.

I just talked to Schneider today (had not considered them before reading above) and may go with a custom grind from them, you might give them a call as well...

"... I want the sbf double roller timming …"

I got the Comp 260 for my 4.1L, had the snout shaved during the rest of the machining,
total $ = ?: saved that way 4 me...

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF SCHNEIDER CAMS WILL DO THE SBF TIMMING GEAR MOD ?

I can't say, but they were the only cam company that I called that:

1)Had an actual human answer the phone ("hello this is Jerry what can we do for you", no press 1 bullshit, the head guy actually answers the phone!)
2)Said human was actually capable of answering questions, without transferring me to a "tech", and we worked out a custom grind for my turbo build. (basically just a wider lobe separation)

I think I will be getting my cam from them...

There is a company, Colt Cams, that are known for their diesel grinds, but they also do a BBF six.
I got a cam regrind for my '96 Chevy LT1 from them. $200.
Might be worth a checking to see if they do a small six cam.
http://www.coltcams.com/

from the website:
Camshaft profiles

To the right is a file system containing various camshaft profiles.  We have just launched this information so at the moment there are only a few profiles online.  We will constantly be adding more, please check back often!

If you do not see your model in the list please contact us, we have over 2,200 profiles on file.  After 26 years in the camshaft grinding business you can imagine how many cams we have worked with!  

Most of our cams are regrinds using our customers own cam core, unless otherwise specified.  However, we do have a large selection of new semi finished billets.  We guarantee all our workmanship.  Exchanges available on most models, please inquire.

schnider & isky R pretty personal in approach...

Back