Auxiliary Water Pump + Heat Soak

Interesting… Bosch is reliable in electrics.
I'd think U could get the temps down enuff to run poorly if gone too far.
Whadda U think?
On the other hand I know U need the (air) intake as cool as it can go
(just so the venturi don't freeze shut w/water droplets) - al la 'intercoolers'.

45 bucks seems like pretty good insurance against that!
I wiz thinkin of the (modern) thermostatically controlled fans
that run after shut down but with this idea of yours I can
see even more improvement over that.

How often when U come out & start is the carb empty?
What other problems do U see that this idea will address?

Thank you, keep up the great mods!

Rather than plumb extra cooling capacity, I plan to run a return line for the fuel back to the tank and a regulator.

I don't know (mostly ignorant on mechanics) but think he was talkin bout that which is left in the bowl?
U think there's enuff in the line too, j.f. ?

Does this all depend on the water (choke kinda place) under the carb that runs coolant thru there on some models?
U wanna run the pluming U propose there '63 wagon ? (I can imagine where you'd put the pump).

Yah I see your point. I too have an electric fan waiting to get installed.
Already using spacers I make out of cutting boards, but would like to get a sheet of phenolic for that.

Man, I have never had a problem with fuel boiling, even in 100+ degree days here in Sacramento. I don't have an electric fan (won't fit). Just a small phenolic spacer and an electric fuel pump. The heater plate is bypassed as I don't drive the car when it's that cold - however if I did and I wanted that heater I would just move my heater control valve closer to the water pump and let it divert the heater plate too. :)

I'm not so sure you're going to get the result you want from those aux pumps. The small Bosch ones you're talking about are not used for cooling the engine, they're used to assist the heater core or, as in the case of my XJR, to help cool the intercooler due to a fundamentally dumb plumbing design. ;) Those pumps have small 5/8" (IIRC) I/O and don't move much coolant. It would take a long time for one of those things to circulate a "load" of coolant through the radiator. I think you would *need* an electric fan running to have any meaningful effect.

IMLE, the weak component here is not fuel temperatures but ignition strength. On hot days with the coil bolted to the side of the motor the ignition system gets weak and has a really hard time getting the car started. When I first got the '62 hot restarts were a perpetual concern - I used to plan my commute home to ensure I didn't need to stop for gas and have to end up sitting around waiting for things to cool down. ;) Relocating the coil to the shock tower and installing a Pertronix with direct-battery power fixed that up handily.

Admittedly I've not had this situation, but if a fan on the carb isn't curing your hot restart issue, I don't think your issue is the fuel. And, I don't think those little Bosch pumps will have a meaningful cooling effect anyway. Personally, I would look elsewhere.

Did a set up like that recently using a Davies Craig unit. Sadly the forum will not let me post picture image.

again, sounds fine 2 me, nuttin wrong w/inovation…
How long duz the hose hafta B to get this cooling effect? wouldn't wanna run it thru a lill PS or oil cooler?
Got a pic of where U put the "under the a/c fan"? (I think that's what U said)

Thank you for those details.

What symptoms do you have now, or is this a design you're initiating as a prevention?

(I like the use of the heater core idea... C +/- to it tho).
Seems the whole scheme relies on the water choke tho? (except for the fan U just detailed).

Excellent!
You've come up with an idea for some other instances tho!

Wonder if this is Y we're advised to get an OIL filled, quality coil?
(That help w/the heat? Don't even know what a coil duz 4 the electricity).

chad":38js5ej8 said:
Excellent!
You've come up with an idea for some other instances tho!

Wonder if this is Y we're advised to get an OIL filled, quality coil?
(That help w/the heat? Don't even know what a coil duz 4 the electricity).

The coil combined with the points/condensor (or ignition module) take 12V DC power, and convert it into timed high voltage pulses which fire the spark plugs... The coil is basically a transformer.

Hi, folks; I've often thought of utilizing a Bosch auxiliary water pump to circulate coolant after engine shutdown, just when coolant temps will spike. The VW/Audi unit is controlled by a temp sensor in the water outlet @ end of head. This sensor also will trip the radiator fan (which is why so many people try to tell you your car is still running). The problem is that I'm not sure if the heater core will offer enough cooling within a reasonable time frame, especially if there is no fan to work with it. And trying to run the coolant through the radiator might require some real Rube Goldberg piping. Ya aughta see the spaghetti under the hood of a Passat or Eurovan! I've read your posts above; and while I agree anything might be better than nothing, I think I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to research the hose job and placement of a temp sensor before I commit.
BTW, if you do plan on this mod...less than $50 is damn good for a Bosch aux pump. (Take it from a former VW Master Parts counterman.)

Back