69 mustang 250 motor mount broken! PLEASE HELP!!!

69stang_250

VIP
Soooo........ Just got my car back from the body shop, looked under the hood and everything looks great. On the way home with it somewhere between there and here the drivers side motor mount brakes and is somewhere on the highway :(
Where can I get these?! Or is there an alternative?! I have not welder or a place to weld up mounts, so that is out of the question. If anyone has any ideas or knows what I need to do, please help!

should B able to get it by yr/make/model from a walk into any prts store - most w/o special order
ORilies, AutoZone, Advance, that 3 brothers place, etc

Pry up motor offa the frame w/a crow bar, throw in a wooden wedge'n go to town.
Let us know if none @ the store. Ck the other B4 going to C if U need 2...

Well, I see that I can get the insulator, but I am needing the mount to engine part.
I am looking online, but am not seeing any where I have looked so far.
Is that part different for a maverick? Or is the 200 the same?

250 Is different couldnt find one late in the 70s only for 200 in 69 and 70. I ended up using a motor mounts out of an early 170 falcon Mustang dont remember. Migh have got the idea off the 63 Falcon wagon I HAD AT THE TIME. The mounts ENDED UP MOVING THE ENGINE rearward between 1.5 and 2". required a few simple changes mainly to tranny cross member. My long tube headers still fit. Drive shaft shortened. Might have tweaked clutch Z BAR LOCATION a bit. mI ght have missed something did it 30 some years ago.

The 69 250 engine bracket is unique to that year, very hard to come by.
It is different than the one for a 69 200 engine.
The 250 mount has three bolt holes for the block, the 200 has two.
I don't know if the 200 mount can be used on a 250, maybe someone else on the forum can.

The rubber insulator is also unique to that year, and cannot be found at your FLAPS or
any Mustang vendors.

I spent several years searching for a set to use on my Crossflow engine before finding
them on eBay.

Good Luck. Hope you find a set.

Can't tell if that's a 250 Dan.

I think coupeboy has worked up a few.
May B a PM to him.
Sorry, thought it was readily available. None w/the typical vendors?

I have messaged all of the contacts I have that may have some or a lead with no luck as of yet.

If I do not get a pair I will be messaging coupeboy and see if he can fab some up for me.

Thanks for the help guys!

NOBODY makes new motor mounts for a '69 250 into a Mustang.
If that craigslist ad has a set, you should jump on them.

I spent a considerable amount of time looking at catalogs and calling vendors AND vintage wrecking yards trying to find another set.
I do have a set, no they are not for sale.
Other applications may be made to fit, but I haven't tried anything.

A lot of what i know about small 6 motor mounts can be found here.
Small Six Motor Mount Dimensions -- FordSix Forum
and from quite a while ago..
Fitting the 250

I do still have 2 sets of the small 6 motor mounts that I made last year,

But I haven't compared them directly to the 69 250 mounts.

Maybe its time I drag the 'parts' 1965 Mustang from the back pasture and actually tried fitting some of these things.
Kick me over a PM and maybe we can get something worked out.

These are 1969 motor mounts, and as far as I know, both frame and motor sides.

If it is just the steel stamped bracket, I may have another option.
a LONG while ago a forum member named addo sent me a set of Australian 250 motor mounts.

I originally hoped the Aus mounts would work with V8 frame brackets, they don't.

But I think the stamped bracket may be the same between the '69 and Aus motor mounts may be similar enough to be swappable
this is the Austrailian motor mount

And the '69 mounts, sorry I don't have a good picture of the mounts and I have not directly compared them.

The mounts are interesting for the sake of being interesting, but they are worthless because parts cannot be found easily locally, nor were they ever used in North America, so replacement rubber would be darn near impossible to find. But if the bracket would work for you, we could work something out.

-ron

Yes I think the bracket is all I need, but if you are up to the task for making some motor mounts I will be more than glad to give you the ones I have. I sent you an email.

Like I said in the email, I'll need a night to check/measure/compare the new mounts to the '69 mounts.

I originally designed the new motor mount to replace the more common small i6 motor mount like this one.

instead of the more rare '69 frame bracket, which is far more beefy.

Do you happen to have any pictures of what you have remaining in the car?
How much damage has to be undone?
-ron

CoupeBoy,

If you want to get rid of the Australian engine brackets, I'd be interested in them.
They might work on my 4.1 Crossflow in my 65.

I have a good set. They came with my 250 out of a 70 Mustang. I believe the 69-70 250 mounts are identical. PM with an offer.

yaav.jpg

CoupeBoy is your help here. There is another guy here with a yellow 250 in his 1968 Mustang, and it uses the stock V8 engine mounts on a plated adaptor. The members brother made it up, and there are pictures of it under a 1978 250 engine with Fox body 3.3 air cleaner base and a slimeline air cleaner

As CoupeBoy has said, you can go underframe Boss 302 style mount, and make an Australian 1966 to 1992 xr to XF Falcon 250 engine mount fit.

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72220&p=554655#p554655

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69735&p=561652#p561652
CoupeBoy":3c2hgf7y said:
Nobody makes replacement motor mounts for the '69 or 70 cars with 250's
But if they did, they would exactly like this set that my father in law pulled out of his '69 Mustang when he "upgraded" from a 250/3.03 to a 289/4spd (yes I am still annoyed at him, but at least I got the mounts)

250 mounts are the front set

'69 250 mounts on the top, an Oz 250 mount on the bottom (slightly grey/greenish)

Just look at how much more 'beef' there is in that 250 mount compared to this stock 200 frame/motor mount

I measured the setback once, I'll see if I can find the thread. If I can't find the thread, I'll re-measure them tonight.
Take a gander at this thread
250 Motor Mounts -- FordSix Forum
Forum Member "Econoline" posted the following picture, and you can see that the frame bracket hold down bolt is at least 1" rearward from the engine block mount bolts. Which would be pretty much what you said you had problems with.
Econoline":3c2hgf7y said:
Here are the 1970 Mustang 250 motor mounts I have.
9gy7.jpg

yaav.jpg

Now my assumption (when I find my original measurements or when I get home) is that the stock 250 frame side brackets already have this difference built into them. So that when the motor is installed the bellhousing is virtually in the same location as a 200 or even a SBF. But when you were mixing and matching a stock 170/200 mount the offset worked against you.

Now if that is the case, you could still use the mounts I made, but you'd want to drill a second set of holes in them.
The big bracket that bolts to the engine has enough material that you could easily drill a hole 1" forward or rearward of the original/center mount holes.

Measurements for the 250 mounts are on this thread from eons ago (circa 2005)
Fitting the 250
coupeboy":3c2hgf7y said:
I need to get some more pics to help with this description.
Frame and Motor mount comparison
Parts compared
'67 Mustang
C7ZA-6037-A (frame mount)
C7ZA-6038-C (Blue*)
C7ZA-6038-H (Green)

'69 Mustang
C9ZA-6037-B (frame mount)
C9OA-6038-D (mount)
C9OZ-6038-B (also on mount)

Setup
I used a peice of 2 by 2 angle iron for the measuring jig. I started by drilling the lowest hole into the angle iron. I then put a bolt through the hole with the nut left lose so I could swing the assembly. I used the '67 frame and motor mount for the next step. I put a level along the motor side of the motor mount and when it was straight up and down I clamped it with a big pair of pliers and ran a drill down the hole that would be the farthest from the motor to mark the location. I then took the frame mount off the jig and drilled out the hole. After the holes were drilled I bolted teh frame mount to the jig and started measuring.

From the end of the jig to the horizontal motor mount face
'67 9.5
'69 9

With the motor mounts oriented as they would be while holding the motor
From the table to the center of the lowest motor bolt
'67 3 5/16
'69 3

I then tipped the jig over on its side and measured from the counter up to the center of the bolt hole that is closest to the jig.
'67 5 1/4
'69 4 3/4

So according to what I found, the '69 frame and motor mounts should lower the motor 5/16" lower, and they make and adjustment to allow for the wider block. The part that was interesting is the 1/2" setback. I noticed that the '69 frame mounts have oblonged holes in them for additional adjustments. I still need to make measurements for the bolt spacing where it bolts to the frame. You also have to allow for some slight miscalculation of measureing as I did it with a tape measure.

The 250 engine was an inventory filler when they couldn't get Windsor V8's. The whole idea was always to intergate the I6 engine mounts to the FE engine mounts, just like the F100. See that the FE/16 engine mount perches were integrated. The SBF mounts were a different type entirely. http://www.fordification.com/tech/engine-perches.htm

Remember, the Cleveland, FE and then Lima V8's were added to ease production inventories in case there was a "run" on small block V8's. The 250 Grande notch was a start to getting another stronger six cylinder engine option back into the fray. The L code 250 created a problem when the Mustang was "Bunkie Knudsened" for a BIGGER big block, the MEL based 4.9" center spacing Lima engine block. It was bigger again than the 4 5/8" bore spacing FE, and the 351 or 390 engine mounts wouldn't suffice.

That step really created a scramble for integration... the Windsors and Clevelands were an easy fitment, the 1 5/8" .taller 250 had to clear the firewall frame brace and still fit under the hood too. So the 69 Mustang 250 engine mount was basically was an intermediate fix. The intention was to just do as they did in the F100 when the small block 302 came out in mid 1969.

They moved to a center percusion engine mount, which uses the F100 Big Six insulator. The 250 was initally supposed to be a 1968 commerical engine, but was technically avaliable on the X shell 1968 Fairlane Ranchero and the 68 Mustang...it was listed in two publications

The Aussies intergrated the inline six and SBF Windsor and Cleveland engine mounts totally differently. The Aussie SBF engine mounts were US 1966 Fairlane V8 under engine braces. The 1966 onwards Ford X shell in Australian SIX CYLINDER Falcons just has the same SBF Fairlane V8 cross member, with the old revised US Roundbody engine mounts, and an adaptor to the cross member. An extra bolt holds the engine to the engine mount.

The 250 US engine has an 11 inch spacing between the transfer bolts that the mounts hook up to. The Aussie 250 is about 9 5/8" from memory, the 144/170/200 about 9 1/8". The frame perches that hold the engine mounts and isolator are designed to fit to the US Fairlane/uni body Torino/Boss Mustang V8 cross member.

The 1978 Fox body was designed to use the F100 Big Six engine mount isolators.

hope this is not too far a-stream of the '69 'stang needed
but
I don't think I see the (is it '78?) Maverick towers/mounts I need
to lower mine in the Bronco…
I saw the simplest - an L bracket on top of the rubber, just 2 bolt holes (1 above the other).
But that's not the Maverick I seek - correct?

chad":2b4oontg said:
I don't think I see the (is it '78?) Maverick towers/mounts I need
to lower mine in the Bronco…
I'm working on acquiring a first gen bronco frame and complete drive train. (motor/3spd manual/transfercase/axles/drivelines (no body). *if* I acquire it, I'll start figuring out swap mounts for i6's that are not a 144/170/200.

Back to the current topic, my wife kept me busy last night with yard work.
This morning I went out and looked for the completed motor mounts, couldn't find them.
Looked for the Australian mounts, couldn't find them.

Understand that my shop is unorganized chaos, but usually I can find things, piles give me memory triggers. But in my hour of searching this morning, I struck out on 2 items that were sitting on hood and trunk of my Falcon before I moved the Falcon from shop to barn a month ago. There was a box on the decklid that contained the completed and painted motor mounts. The Australian mounts were on the passenger fender up front. I "put them someplace safe" when I moved the car from building to building..

Of course I found the '69 motor mounts, exactly where I left them... but that does me no good.

Back