200-250 motor mount locations

List of Ford bellhousing patterns -- Wikipedia
The interesting section is what is typically referred to as SBF (big six) pattern.
Later Windsor V8 pattern -- wikipedia
Note: this is commonly called the Ford Small-block V8 pattern, though it is used in some "big block"-sized V8's as well as some V6's and I6's.

200 I6 1978-1983 only, partial (4 of 6 bolts) pattern.
250 I6
255 V8
289 V8 - (made after August 3, 1964) - had 6 bolts holding bellhousing to block
302 Cleveland (Australia)
351 Cleveland V8 (not the 351 Cleveland M-block engine)
351 Boss
351 Cobra Jet
302 Windsor V8
351 Windsor V8
400 Cleveland M-block V8 aka 400FMX (certain 1973 casting numbers D1AE and D3AE, mated to the FMX transmission)
3.8/3.9/4.2L Canadian Essex 90° V6 (RWD only)
240 I6
300 I6
4.6L Modular V8 (first two casting runs, numbers F1AE and F2VE)
5.0L Windsor V8
5.8L Windsor V8
Then the question comes down to 157tooth vs 164tooth flywheel/flexplate.
There are many threads and discussions on where they fit, why they fit, and how to match parts.
157 vs 164 tooth -- Google Search

I did not know about the first two casting runs of the 4.6L, that opens up some newer transmission options... very interesting indeed.

It was not my list, wikipedia also had an early SBF section that included the 221 and 260
Early Windsor V8 pattern
221 V8
260 V8
289 V8 (made before August 3, 1964) - had five bolts holding bellhousing to block
I left off those motors because I didn't want to introduce confusion. I don't know if the 221 or 260 ever come with a 6 bolt bellhousing? (6 bolt being the "standard" SBF bellhousing)

According to the information I compiled a few years back, the 260 was only offered until 1965.
And the 221 as only 62/63. (early bellhousing pattern only)
Motors available in 1963 -- phlegm.us

The 255&260 bent8 have that SBF bell? (didn't realize all these others would match up too).

The extra info "6 bolt pattern" goes along w/SBF"? Some times I've seen a re-drilling or "skip", 'leave out that bolt' so a slight variation will mate.

Is "the butterfly pattern" also part of this SBF variation or is that for 1 a lill different yet?

Wonder if Perry is around to make a 'stickie' for this ("techn. section" as wrded here @ ford6)
Looks almost like ford had bell families (not quite) as well as motor families…no small block / big block like ch^*by.

chad":2t1qu05m said:
The 255&260 bent8 have that SBF bell? (didn't realize all these others would match up too).

The extra info "6 bolt pattern" goes along w/SBF"? Some times I've seen a re-drilling or "skip", 'leave out that bolt' so a slight variation will mate.

Is "the butterfly pattern" also part of this SBF variation or is that for 1 a lill different yet?

Wonder if Perry is around to make a 'stickie' for this ("techn. section" as wrded here @ ford6)
Looks almost like ford had bell families (not quite) as well as motor families…no small block / big block like ch^*by.

I believe Ford has used something like 7-8 different bell housing patterns over the years, on various engine families...

Hi Rich, thanks.
I'm still tryin 2 stick w/the SBF. Are U sayin those went to 7 - 8 varieties?
(I'm thinkin 'not'. Probably I just can't read correctly.)
Also
Any info on "butterfly pattern" & "6 bolt"?
Got a link to articles w/pic and explinations? I just found such a site for the 8" v 9" ford rear ends. Pretty helpful for a 'trucker' like me. (I punched em round enuff that they stopped callin my bronk a J^*P…but truck? that's like stretchin the same title to a 'chero…"Hey, ya see the ranchero's new paint job? He just re-painted the truck red.)
:roll:

:unsure: X2 all the 221's and 260's, plus the early 289's V8's 1964 to until roughly the first half of Fords 1965 model year production are not the same. Their 5 bolt bell housings will not interchange with all the other later 6 bolt SBF bell housings that's why they aren't on that list. Good Luck :nod:

Is the 'butterfly' another name for the 6 bolt SBF? I see it referenced often (it seems by non-ford folk).

chad":3koek2n1 said:
Is the 'butterfly' another name for the 6 bolt SBF? I see it referenced often (it seems by non-ford folk).
I have never heard that nomenclature before. And I read a lot of weird stuff. Typically if not being referred to as a SBF pattern, it will be called a 'Windsor' motor.

Back