Flywheel for a manual transmission 250

lahti35

I picked up a 250 out of a Granada on Saturday that was an automatic.

I want to install a manual 3 speed toploader behind it so I know I need the C3AA-6394-C bellhousing but I'm having some trouble finding a flywheel. I know I can't just throw a small block flywheel on there because of the balancing.

Does an inline 300 MT flywheel fit? If does the starter need to be changed?

lahti35":3aara8ih said:

I want to install a manual 3 speed toploader behind it so I know I need the C3AA-6394-C bellhousing but I'm having some trouble finding a flywheel. I know I can't just throw a small block flywheel on there because of the balancing.

if the only difference is the balance, you can get SBF flywheels setup for internal balance (I.E. no counterweight on flywheel)

All of the small inline sixes (144,170,200,250) are internally balanced and require a zero balance flywheel.

The 250 uses the same bellhousing as the SBF V8 (late 289,302) and the same size flywheel (157 toothed starter ring).
However, the SBF V8 is externally balanced (either 28oz or 52oz weight), and on stock flywheels the weights are cast on the back side.
Because of the need for two different sized weights to balance the SBF V8, some aftermarket vendors sell flywheels with detachable weights so they can cover both.
Also, some "stroker" kits for the SBF V8 are internally balanced, so the flywheel is zero balanced.

If you look for one of the aftermarket flywheels (157 toothed starter ring) with the detachable weights, or one that is zero balanced, it would work on your 250.

Hope this helps.

the car'n truck bells (altho both sbf) seem to B different in-some-unknown-2-me aspect (just learned this frm a thread here)
and the 300FW only fits in the truck bell.
I got one cuz it wuz readily avail (to switch my 170 motor to a 250 - no 250FW around), zero balance, right dia., & tooth count.
(Now I'm on a block plate searchj).
HTH,
stay tuned for more authoritary answers from some 1 who is NOT me.
8- )
(save yer flex plate)

The 240/300 flywheel will also fit the 250 crank flange. However, most of these are 164 tooth, not 157.

The thing to watch for is the tooth count. The flywheel has to match the bellhousing and block plate in order for the starter to mesh properly.

RichCreations":2enk2dbh said:
lahti35":2enk2dbh said:

if the only difference is the balance, you can get SBF flywheels setup for internal balance (I.E. no counterweight on flywheel)
That is the correct information zero balance. Call Summit or Jegs

Both FW's on my two 250 Toploader engines are aftermarket 157T FW's sourced on E-Bay for @ $125 , usually from a 'performance parts vendor'.. The FWs' usually have the 28/50 oz bolt-on weights for SBF V8s'. The weights can be omitted for the Zero-Balance 250, performance is optional. .

like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-28 ... Ko&vxp=mtr

I haven't actually seen any 164 tooth setups that fit the 250 starter but that may be possible... ?

The Bellhouses' I used are C5DA 157T Alum pass car bells. (C5TA believe is 164T/300) One has a T5 with 'SBF' adapter plate in a '61 and other has a Mav' toploader on the test stand going in a 3OTT Toploader 250 Maverick (turbo):

. .

have fun

Wow, great info thanks!

I think the most frustrating part about searching for parts online for the inline 250 is that each search returns 90% F-250 truck stuff, lol!

"...I like:''
yeah, w/an alen wrench and 100 $s I like it too

164-t = 11'' max clutch ,157-t = 10.5'' max clutch. sfi bell-housing are made to fit both with both starter bolt locations, most of them anyway.

If you look at 300 flywheels and the associated starter you may find the 164 tooth version and already 0 balance. All 300 stuff flywheel aft is a direct swap

Try to avoid oem type iron flywheels they can explode at high revs. I had an iron pressure plate come apart, it blew off starter nose,chopped off one header pipe,broke off two transmission ears,broke bearing retainer,two block bolt holes,put holes in tunnel, steering shaft housing, no piece larger than one inch of the stock bell housing were found. O yea I am a slow learner ,I did it twice.

drag-200stang":6npi6mw5 said:
Try to avoid oem type iron flywheels they can explode at high revs... O yea.. I did it twice.

lol :LOL: I'm sorry for your troubles drag stang but thanks for the smile and a good laugh. I needed that :)

not when it takes a chunk outta yer leg.

I had a piston or sompin tear outta motor @ interstate speed (a 170, but ina 'slant six' , '64 motor ,during the yr of 1972, bein a 20 y/o kid myself)
knocked off the starter at 70 mph w/a BANG
"What wuz dat?" I sez lookin in the rear view I C parts almost hittin the travelers in the lane behind.
They were doin some fancy stearin to avoid that heavy stuff !

8- 0

The best option to avoid hammer work for a manual 250 ina 61 Falcon. It needs a 1975-1978 Mustang II bellhousing and 148 teeth flywheel/ clutch from a V8 302 to fit in a pre mid year revsion 1961 Ford Falcon. They changed the firewall and trans tunnel to copy the compact Fairlane, and to fit the 260 Challenger V8 option for the next year.

You can fit the 157 or 164 teeth flywheel SBF belhousing in, but it needs big friendly hammer work, and the idler arm might need flipping to clear the starter if you don't use a more modern, more compact rare earth permanant magnet number.

xctasy":3bkbxx2w said:
The best option to avoid hammer work for a manual 250 ina 61 Falcon. It needs a 1975-1978 Mustang II bellhousing and 148 teeth flywheel/ clutch from a V8 302 to fit in a pre mid year revsion 1961 Ford Falcon. They changed the firewall and trans tunnel to copy the compact Fairlane, and to fit the 260 Challenger V8 option for the next year.

You can fit the 157 or 164 teeth flywheel SBF belhousing in, but it needs big friendly hammer work, and the idler arm might need flipping to clear the starter if you don't use a more modern, more compact rare earth permanant magnet number.

Thanks, I'll look into that!

xctasy":1v4l3faa said:
The best option to avoid hammer work for a manual 250 ina 61 Falcon. It needs a 1975-1978 Mustang II bellhousing and 148 teeth flywheel/ clutch from a V8 302 to fit in a pre mid year revsion 1961 Ford Falcon.

What a great idea! I looked into this and unfortunately those 148 teeth flywheels are super rare and hard to get clutches for. Have any idea where I can pick one up?

A note of personal experience; My son "borrowed" my L-code 250 for his '68 while his 351W was getting built up. The car was born as an A/T so he needed everything from the plate back. He accessed an aftermarket flywheel, zero balance, with two bolt-on weights (28oz and 50oz). This worked out perfectly, as when he installed the Windsor, he just bolted on the 28oz weight. I believe Ford Motorsport may also have a 157tooth 0-balance flywheel. Good luck.

Back