speed daddy headers

Took some doing to separate my tail from the lazyboy,but I got my new head and the speed daddy headers on ferdinand(62 ranchero).
Pics will be coming when I can corral a kid and convince him to take pics of something other than himself...my shots are shakycam.

On mine there is no problem with starter interference,it's all about the front collector smooth up against the shock tower and the front collector flange hitting the crossmember by the motor mount.

After I hear it and giggle at the sound of bees,I'm going to pull them off and put them on the press for about 1/2".It's not my first time having to modify something.
I used to bend BIG pipes and fill them with wire,so it's just a matter of finding one of my surviving buddies with a press.

stay tuned.I'll figure out how to post/link/pics someday.....!

No bees.sounds like a rig welder.slip fit purple hornies on,didn't help much.and they bang my subframe connecters.found a buddy with a press,so it all gets taken apart after it quits raining???

"...bang my subframe connecters…"
WoW, that's pretty far down, what hits - the collector area?
[ ("bang my subframe connecters") never mind, read the earlier post ]

How will U support the pipes while pumpin the handle?
Got W I D E ways on the press?

It's a tall hydraulic press.the front collector flange hit the crossmember that goes under the oilpan,the front collector was hitting the shock tower area in my roundbody ranchero.I bolted a 2x4 to the header flange and carved a 4x4 to conform to the collector to prevent dimpling the collector.Took awhile to get the angle of the dangle right,grabbed my tape measure,and applied pressure.
I now have about 1/2" between the collector and the shock tower and about 3/8" between the flange and crossmember.I modify all my left motor mounts so that they will give some but not rip.The collector flange might touch now under load,but it wont be continuously be riding on the crossmember.
The global west subframe connectors were hitting the temporary purple horny header glass packs that I use around the shop on whatever I'm working on,an audio/visual aid if you will.
when I find a muffler man for whom english is a primary language,I plan on running both pipes to dynaflow cross x muffler by the gas tank and out a pair of fishtails.uuhh,tips.
I hope this clears up what I'm doing and adds to the knowledge base.It seems there were a lot of questions with no answers.
UP next,a73 Mav 250 with AOD, then econoline/falcon van 250/AOD.

yes, a lill more clear pic in my mind now. didn't think bout carvin up some wood as U have (I'm more of a wood butcher than wrencher). nice trick, may come in handy if /when I ever get that far, thank you.
BTW: the van/250/AOD is being done by our member Econoline. He's followed exacting standards and is some 1 who replies to posts and PM if interested. Not sure there's a build thread to follow but he's in the midst of completion now...

I bought a set of these headers for my 61 Ranchero with a 200 and the bigger bellhousing with a 5 speed. While I have not run the engine yet, the fit is good. They are a little close to the shock tower, maybe 1/4" clearance. Starter clearance is good with a full size starter. It looks like the starter could be changed without removing the header. I was concerned with heat, so I did have the shiny stainless sandblasted and had them ceramic coated.

Well its been a little bit of time, has anyone bought the Speed Daddy's, put them on, and driven them around? Have any feedback on install and/or (mostly or) the performance?

Mine is in the trunk waiting to get put in. Haven't had the time to get the car up on jacks and start tearing things apart...

"... bought the Speed Daddy's…"
I have the last of CI (frm Will) & most agree - they're identical.
Fit well on the 250 but still on the stand. Gotta get 6 shives/the belts on
B4 running it but by my/the assembler's recognizing it'll wrk in the bronk~

I have a set of these headers, the fitment needed a little bit of work i had to oblong 2 of the holes to be able to easily slide the header on and off the motor, but as for fitment in the engine bay it clears the pass side by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch and clears the starter by roughly 1/4 inch and same for the generator, the sound is amazing way to loud with open headers obviously, but with just a straight pipe and glasspacks it sounds about like a angry v8. A little droning under load but it sounds relatively tame at idle and very good off idle, it burples while decellerating in gear. Honestly pretty happy with it thus far, cant really tell much about performance increases mainly cause ive been babying the motor since i finished my "cheap" rebuild so that still up for debate but i like it, the welds were good. I will say that the bolts included in the kit werent long enought to use the donut gasket, the down pipes, and still use the springs i ended up having to get like a 1 1/2 inch longer bolts to make it work but other than that it seems fine.

Hi guys,
The header I sell is the same one. I have laid it side by side with my original CI piece and the only apparent difference is the hook up. Mike used a flat gasket rather than a donut. My assumption is that he found a source to modify the one from Speed Daddy, because their parent company claims to have been selling them for a long time. I include a Classic Inlines header gasket and stainless steel stud kit. My price is $195 plus shipping.
I have a source to have them coated now, so I will be adding that as an option.
I have also worked with Waldron Exhaust and hope to replace the down pipes with custom ones that will connect directly to the Waldron X and Y pipes, but will also work better if you are installing your own custom exhaust.
Matt

matcox83":29azi2cd said:
Hi guys,
The header I sell is the same one. I have laid it side by side with my original CI piece and the only apparent difference is the hook up. Mike used a flat gasket rather than a donut. My assumption is that he found a source to modify the one from Speed Daddy, because their parent company claims to have been selling them for a long time. I include a Classic Inlines header gasket and stainless steel stud kit. My price is $195 plus shipping.
I have a source to have them coated now, so I will be adding that as an option.
I have also worked with Waldron Exhaust and hope to replace the down pipes with custom ones that will connect directly to the Waldron X and Y pipes, but will also work better if you are installing your own custom exhaust.
Matt

That's a GREAT price considering it includes the better header gasket and a stainless steel stud kit.

Everyone needs to support our vendors.
I've own a Corvair for over 35 years and in that time many of its vendors have dwindled to just a
handful today.

I ordered the Ebay version of the split header about 2 years ago. They fit perfectly on my son's 68 mustang coupe w/ 200 and a T5. NO issues with installing, but we did not use the extra pipes and donuts that came with it. The extra thick flange gasket at the head was very nice. No issues, no leaks, only a slight discoloration of the stainless after many heat cycles. I highly recommend them.

"...own a Corvair for over 35 years…"
& Dan, I live 'nxt door' to Mr Clark (& family).
8^0

Well, I dropped the ole girl off to get the exhaust installed. This is the first time I've let another man touch her since the late 90's. Had someone "fix" a fuel pump on her a week after I bought her. They broke off a bolt and $700 later I had her back. To this day I don't like how the pump bolts feel. I've been a bit oberly protective since...

cr_bobcat":blg0ygy2 said:
Well, I dropped the ole girl off to get the exhaust installed. This is the first time I've let another man touch her since the late 90's. Had someone "fix" a fuel pump on her a week after I bought her. They broke off a bolt and $700 later I had her back. To this day I don't like how the pump bolts feel. I've been a bit oberly protective since...

Take some good pictures of your system once it's installed maybe some before and after too. That might be a real help to others in deciding what they want to do. Good luck on the install hopefully they do it as you wanted with quality to. :nod:

Matt now has the CI headers at a comparable price.
Most agree they're the same item.

Anyone try a dyno check on the speed daddy upgrade or Matt's? Also is the plating enough or do they need a ceramic coating I know I said I was going to dyno mine once I installed it but then Matt got the Aluminum heads and intake in and next thing I knew I jumped down that rabbit hole and now going full performance cruiser build so the headers are sitting in the trunk...for now.

Disposable income is a terrible thing to waste. 8)

Back