Camshaft advice

Lt_Bongwater

Hi Folks,

I`m planning to install the CI Alum head + a Weber 38/38 DGAS carb on my 1966 Mustang 200. If I`m anyways at it, I thought about replacing the stock camshaft with a new one.

I am now seeking advice on the best solution for me. I`m not planning to build a race/drag car, but I`m looking for performance while cruising as well as in city traffic. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Cristian

The falcon six handbook has some advice, and the classic inlines site still has a lot of information based on application. I think that's a good place to start.

Just remember not to buy off the site. Check with Will (does10s) to see if he's got the one you want.

I'd assume ur stayin w/that transmis?
Make sure to take that into consideration as U view the different cam specs.

On the other hand ( I C you're off shore) if state side a C4 would be a good
upgrade and I think they might benifit from a different cam? It's the least
parasitic of the autos (robs least power frm engine).
I don't follow the 200s as much but bet there's a C4 bell for that motor…
and there's a h u g e after mrkt 4 upgrade mods (inc 4 'trucks' like mine).

Keep in touch as U build, love 2 hear what U come up with!

I'm running a 264/274/112 with a ported head motor and a slushy C4.
It really likes to pull after 3000rpm and doesn't like to putter around.
Only have a 1bbl carb and stock exhaust manifold. So it poops out after 4000rpm in high gear.
But I wanted a cam that would pull strong on the highway from 60 - 80+ mph, so this does that.
With a real intake and headers this cam would rock.

After my recent cam purchasing experience, I highly recommend calling schneider cams, talk to jerry, tell him your setup, and goals, and let him recommend something.

Why would you put a CI Aluminum head on if you're NOT planning on racing and/or really getting after your car? That money would be well spent on a 1000 other things... just my opinion and not taking anything away from that head, but it's total overkill for a cruiser. (and I love overkill!)

jeez, I didn't C the alu head somehow.
To me that thing is not for "looks"
but that's just me...

What IS "crusing" in Romania., anyhow?
I have no idea (stop'n go/city?, two lane'n twisty?, Hilly?, two lane flat?, autoban? U have a mix of all these? w/accent on which?).

pikesan":1xoatfuz said:
Why would you put a CI Aluminum head on if you're NOT planning on racing and/or really getting after your car? That money would be well spent on a 1000 other things... just my opinion and not taking anything away from that head, but it's total overkill for a cruiser. (and I love overkill!)

Right now I am all about the log, but I would do it just to prevent back injury. :)

drag-200stang":2gu5hogp said:
pikesan":2gu5hogp said:

Right now I am all about the log, but I would do it just to prevent back injury. :)

I'm with you there!! too funny...

The CI head has a good exhaust flow. I would go with a single pattern cam in the 262-264 area. If the duration @ .050"is close to 214 degrees i would go with a 112 L/C & advance the cam 4 degrees. Be careful here cause some grinders grind them straight up & some already have the advance incorporated.
The valve spring pressure needed by the cam gives you a good indication of its rate of lift. Go for a cam that requires at least 90+ seat tension. Doing that gives the advertised duration short, but will open the valve at a faster rate.
The Comp 260 is an ancient grind & in my opinion do not pick that one.
Clay Smith, Schneider & Comp cams have some decent profiles.
Once you have a choice post it first & us forum readers will guide you from there.
Schneider has some great grinds & you will probably speak with Jerry rather than the average phone monkey.

Hi Folks, thanks for all the replies. I already contacted Will, Clay Smith, I will reach out to Schneider as well, thanks for the tip. For the moment, I was considering a 264/264 110 Clay Smith cam, but I`m open to any advice from you folks.

Also, I believe some clarifications are in order. When I said I don`t plan to race it, I meant I don`t plan to take it on a racing track :). However, this is a project that I started 2 years ago, the car is now in great running condition, but I`m not going to stop here. I plan to modify it over time with a focus on driveability and performance. This may include headers and dual exhaust (next year), either a T5 or C4 upgrade (next year), etc. I want to be able to safely drive it like a normal car, and being able to safely pass other cars in traffic, especially in hilly roads (most of my country is like that). I chose the Alum head over the stock one, due to the limitations of the log intake manifold (primary objective) as well as a future upgrade platform (who knows what happens in the future :)).

To your specific questions:

@65fback -
The falcon six handbook has some advice, and the classic inlines site still has a lot of information based on application. I think that's a good place to start.

I already have the book, I thought about checking with others for their first hand experience and advice. Thanks for the tip!

@chad -
I'd assume ur stayin w/that transmis?
Make sure to take that into consideration as U view the different cam specs.

On the other hand ( I C you're off shore) if state side a C4 would be a good
upgrade and I think they might benifit from a different cam? It's the least
parasitic of the autos (robs least power frm engine).
I don't follow the 200s as much but bet there's a C4 bell for that motor…
and there's a h u g e after mrkt 4 upgrade mods (inc 4 'trucks' like mine).

What IS "crusing" in Romania., anyhow?
I have no idea (stop'n go/city?, two lane'n twisty?, Hilly?, two lane flat?, autoban? U have a mix of all these? w/accent on which?).

I have some serious documentation on improv ing performance in a C3, and my plan was to do a C4 upgrade, b now I`m thinking about converting it to a T5. There are several threads on the topic, as well as a great piece in Mustang Monthly if I`m not mistaking. It will be next year however, I don`t want to run into a spending binge with this project, you all know how it is :)

To your second point, that`s a very good question. Cruising in Romania is 1 by 1 lane, mostly in hilly conditions, where you have to pass slow traffic such as trucks. Actually it can be pretty epic :), if anyone of you guys feels like visiting Romania, please contact me, I`d love to give you a tour.

http://romaniatourism.com/scenic-drives-romania.html

City traffic is not so bad, and I`m anyways going to avoid jams and too much stop and go.

@JackFish
I'm running a 264/274/112 with a ported head motor and a slushy C4.
It really likes to pull after 3000rpm and doesn't like to putter around.
Only have a 1bbl carb and stock exhaust manifold. So it poops out after 4000rpm in high gear.
But I wanted a cam that would pull strong on the highway from 60 - 80+ mph, so this does that.
With a real intake and headers this cam would rock.

Thanks for sharing your experience and feedback. That`s exactly one of the aspects I am trying to fix, I got no torque in the 60-80 range for passing other vehicles!

@wsa111
The CI head has a good exhaust flow. I would go with a single pattern cam in the 262-264 area. If the duration @ .050"is close to 214 degrees i would go with a 112 L/C & advance the cam 4 degrees. Be careful here cause some grinders grind them straight up & some already have the advance incorporated.
The valve spring pressure needed by the cam gives you a good indication of its rate of lift. Go for a cam that requires at least 90+ seat tension. Doing that gives the advertised duration short, but will open the valve at a faster rate.
The Comp 260 is an ancient grind & in my opinion do not pick that one.
Clay Smith, Schneider & Comp cams have some decent profiles.
Once you have a choice post it first & us forum readers will guide you from there.
Schneider has some great grinds & you will probably speak with Jerry rather than the average phone monkey.

Thanks for the on-point recommendations, will consider and reach out to Schneider!

"...feels like visiting Romania…"
I'm familure w/that mountain range thru studying the (is it?) Ruz or Russ peoples
in school long ago (Carpithians). Pretty amazing - lucky guy U R!

I visited Romania some 30 years ago thanks to the U.S. NAVY. Constanta I believe via the Black Sea.
It's probably way different now.

Back