two barrel adaptor

Charlie Cheap

Has anyone used the 2 to 1 adaptor from Summit? I am happy with my 1100 but as the 1st gen. GURU for the Mustang 6 Association I want to try adapting a 2bbl using over-the-counter parts for an article. I have a 2100 (108 version) which is 287 cfm. With a .060" overbore, minor head work, hotter ignition, cool-air intake, free-flowing exhaust, new very mild cam, that seems about right but a little on the BIG side. Hood clearance could be a problem. Future plans are a later head with machined 2 barrel mounting and bigger opening to match the carb. Here in Texas the 1100 tends to percolate fuel into the venture, flooding the engine. I have mostly solved that with 2 heat spacers, a fan shroud, 6 blade flex-fan, aluminum radiator and rerouted sprint-car fuel line. The 1100 is finicky and needs to be constantly checked with ethanol gas and the 2100 is an excellent 2 barrel. I am NOT looking for more power but better drivability that maintains economy.

Charlie Cheap":1vouz91y said:
Has anyone used the 2 to 1 adaptor from Summit? I am happy with my 1100 but as the 1st gen. GURU for the Mustang 6 Association I want to try adapting a 2bbl using over-the-counter parts for an article. I have a 2100 (108 version) which is 287 cfm. With a .060" overbore, minor head work, hotter ignition, cool-air intake, free-flowing exhaust, new very mild cam, that seems about right but a little on the BIG side. Hood clearance could be a problem. Future plans are a later head with machined 2 barrel mounting and bigger opening to match the carb. Here in Texas the 1100 tends to percolate fuel into the venture, flooding the engine. I have mostly solved that with 2 heat spacers, a fan shroud, 6 blade flex-fan, aluminum radiator and rerouted sprint-car fuel line. The 1100 is finicky and needs to be constantly checked with ethanol gas and the 2100 is an excellent 2 barrel. I am NOT looking for more power but better drivability that maintains economy.

I am using the transdapt 2-1 adapter, with a CFI throttle body setup (TBI).

RichCreations":2vukcamm said:
Charlie Cheap":2vukcamm said:

I am using the transdapt 2-1 adapter, with a CFI throttle body setup (TBI).

i have also used it to good effect on a 66 170.

Thanks guys. My concern is hood clearance and linkage. As a long time street rodder I am sure I can make it work, but I will never get too old to ask. I want to avoid any computer/electronics so TBI is basically out...for now. In the future I may give it a try but right now I want 25mpg, about 140 hp and smooth drivability from a carb engine. Thanks again.

Charlie Cheap":2i3e8my0 said:
Thanks guys. My concern is hood clearance and linkage. As a long time street rodder I am sure I can make it work, but I will never get too old to ask. I want to avoid any computer/electronics so TBI is basically out...for now. In the future I may give it a try but right now I want 25mpg, about 140 hp and smooth drivability from a carb engine. Thanks again.

I only mentioned the TBI as it is basically a 2bl holley (mounting flange wise) so "similar enough" to be relevant... not that you want one... I can't say about hood clearance, my engine is in a box between the front seats (early econoline)

EDIT: Does10s has the CI cold air kits back in stock, with the low profile carb hat, it would gain you come of the lost hood clearance of the adapter.

Charlie Cheap":kujv41sr said:

i had minor hood clearance issues with my 66 falcon. i solved them using a small diameter air cleaner, and a short filter element. the nice thing about the transadapt adapter is that you can machine the base down as much as a 1/2 inch to gain hood clearance.

rbohm":136ltefi said:
Charlie Cheap":136ltefi said:

i had minor hood clearance issues with my 66 falcon. i solved them using a small diameter air cleaner, and a short filter element. the nice thing about the transadapt adapter is that you can machine the base down as much as a 1/2 inch to gain hood clearance.

you could shave more then 1/2" off the small end, or 1/4-3/8" off the top, or both... I have one right here in front of me (not installed) if you want better pics of it.

With my "2BBl" CFI unit, the transept 2044 mounted to the stock carb adapter, is only 1" taller (at the air filter flange) then my carter yf was

With the stock carb a spacer with water passage is used which also properly positions the carb square with the head. If that spacer is eliminated the carb sits cock-eyed...which is okay but looks strange. Also, in Texas heat is a problem so the aluminum spacer helps keep heat out of the carb. I have 2 phenolic heat spacers now under the carb to stop percolation. I may make my own adaptor but if a ready-made one is available and can clear the hood, a 2100 carb should work nicely. Has anyone used a stock 2 bbl air cleaner with the snout? I built a cool-air intake that fits the one barrel snout and it could be adapted to the 2 bbl snout cleaner. If this works I may get a 250 head and machine it for the bolt-on 2 barrel adaptor that actually feeds a two barrel opening. I am not really looking for a lot more power but better drivability/MPG and ease of service. The 1100 is getting very hard to find for a good price that is worth rebuilding.

Back