looking for muffler and pipe suggestions.

Boburban30

Finally got the mustang started, now its time to work on the exhaust. Car is a 66 coupe I6. I just recently purchased a set of classic inline headers with X pipe and am looking for muffler and pipe suggestions. I want something that is loud but not obnoxious and something with a deep rumble.

I was looking to pickup a pair of Flowmaster super 44's but the smallest inlet they make them in is 2.25". From the research I have done, I was kind of leaning towards 1.75" pipe. Not really sure if I like the idea of that combo though so I am looking for suggestions. What do you guys think? The deeper the better.

2.25" pipe is fine, as for mufflers i would go with magnaflows, i think they sound better.

I second the Dynomax turbos, that's what I'm using. Loud, but not too loud, fairly quiet on the highway. I have 2" pipes.

Many of you old timers might remember the sound clip from the comet of Okefenokee.
This is pricy, but he used Borla mufflers on his Comet.
The sound was very close to that of a V-8.
From many system crashes i cannot find this sound clip.
Pull up Borla's web site and check it out.
But be ready to get your wallet out if you are interested.

I dislike all loud 6 cyl engines regardless of mfg. so what I use for muffler is Cadillac 2 1/2 i.d. muffler. off of header to muffler inlet the out of muffler to rear of car. its not restrictive as its for a 500 c.i.d. engine,no heat buildup, it has back pressure and mostly its quiet. a whole lot cheaper than the leading perf mufflers also.
bob the old guy

so personal a Q - might B as many answers as numbers of folks asked.
(my fav wuz the oem with 1/4 inch hole rusted out)
:unsure:
only 'spoke up' when 'got on' or left down shifted down a hill…
nice burble; otherwise quiet…

I'm going to be facing this same question.. isn't it a personal preference? I want my warmed up six to be heard when I'm on it, but quiet when I'm not...we'll see what I end up with!

chad":je3wjoo2 said:
so personal a Q - might B as many answers as numbers of folks asked. (my fav wuz the oem with 1/4 inch hole rusted out) only 'spoke up' when 'got on' or left down shifted down a hill…nice burble; otherwise quiet…
Hard to describe, very personal in choice/opinion, can't B heard well on a vid or tape…
I've gotten close by askin "That sounds good, whachja got?". Will test out a few now I'm close…

Back