Intake manifold for multiple carbs

65 Mustang

Hello Everyone,

Confused about something concerning intake manifolds for multiple carbs. The intake manifold and cylinder head on my car are one piece (as I'm sure is true for most of your cars). There are companies that sell intakes for multiple carbs. Do machine shops cut off the intake manifold and set things up to receive one for multiple carbs? Or, can multiple carb intake manifolds only be used on cylinder heads that have removable manifolds? I, however, have never seen a removable manifold on an inline. Can anyone out there clear this up for me? Thanks.

On the 170/200/250 engines the head and intake are cast as one piece. It's a bit of a problem really.

The aftermarket 3 X 1V intakes are made so they fit the top of the stock log heads. It's a fairly easy process to machine the head so the two end carb's will fit. Good luck :nod:

Offenhauser has them listed on line under that name. The co. was big in the early days/developed lota stuff back then.
To me the real rub is the carb linkage, synchronizing that, tuning the carbs. It would be a handful for me.

Isn't there a forum on here for that? or have I just seen alot (in spurts, 'fits'n starts') here?

My thought would be cut it off & mount 6 Muncunis (motorcycle carbs).
Yeah Hawwww! :fume:

As noted above, Offenhauser makes a manifold adapter that goes on top of the existing log and is held in place with either bolts or U bolts depending on log year. This set up uses a progressive linkage where you run off of the center carb only until about 1/2 throttle and then the outers kick in. When set up correctly, it's a blast to drive. Exeter Auto Supply in Exeter, CA sells them http://www.exeterautosupply.com/. You also get hours of carb tuning enjoyment with a triple set up :roll: I run weber ICT/ICH combo on mine. For a more old school look, glass bowl Holley's have just the look - but you have to make sure they don't leak...

"…glass bowl Holley's…"
is that the 1904 model?

And don't forget that with the Offenhauser triple carb adaptor you have to drill two appropriate size holes at each end of the intake log before you mount it to make way for the other two carbs. ;)

Gene Fiore":qvp3v18v said:
And don't forget that with the Offenhauser triple carb adaptor you have to drill two appropriate size holes at each end of the intake log before you mount it to make way for the other two carbs. ;)

Now that's a way to make tuning easier! Don't drill the holes and have the outers just for show... : :mrgreen:

vssman":32rzf1cb said:
Gene Fiore":32rzf1cb said:

Now that's a way to make tuning easier! Don't drill the holes and have the outers just for show... : :mrgreen:
I like it! :rolflmao:

Back