Battery ground location, '65 200

adamscm

Hi All, On my 144/200 swap, I'm looking for a place to attach the battery ground to the block. The 144 actually had a threaded hole on the head next to the right -front head bolt. The 200 does not have this. Can someone here with a 200 tell me where their negative battery cable goes? Thanks, Chris

On my '62, the Neg cable goes to a bolt in the head right under the thermostat cover. That's where the original 170 went, same as in the current '68 200 that's in there now.

Unless you're looking for factory, anyplace solid will work. I've got 3 ground cables, one from the aluminum radiator to the block, one from the alternator to the battery, and the original from the block to battery. Plus the original engine to firewall strap.

My 250 has a threaded hole in the block immediately next to the water pump on the passenger side. That's where the ground strap was when I got it. It doesn't appear that the threaded hole was used for anything else. Maybe different than your block........? I imagine there are a couple other options that would be out of the way too.

The 200 has a threaded boss just back of the timing gear cover on the passenger side, just about halfway down the block. That is your negative from the battery to the engine. There is another ground from the bell housing to the firewall. This is a much smaller wire.

Thanks, I found the one on the passenger side of the block. There is a smooth, flat area, maybe about 2x2, with a threaded hole in the middle. It's about halfway down the block, just forward of the exhaust manifold downspout. None of those other locations exist on my block. I believe the firewall wire went to a starter bolt.

Correct and correct.

Make sure you get a real good ground by sanding off the rust and old paint at all of the ground connections. If you are an experienced mechanic, never mind. You know this already. Problem is that with an old engine or an old car, there is often a layer of rust under the ground lugs and the connection is intermittent or inadequate, even if they look good from the top.

You can't have too good or too many grounding places! I use "star" washers under my ground connections and go with heavier copper wire than OEM. My degree is in electronics and I spent over 40 years building cars from the frame up. My ASE certification is in engine building and I have see many problems that gave serious trouble due to bad ground connections.

apply dielectric grease or that just attracts crud?

chad":32tm2v3e said:
apply dielectric grease or that just attracts crud?
Dielectric grease might attract dust and dirt, but if the connections are done right, dielectric grease will keep water out and prevent the rust/corrosion that cause bad connections.

so
just smear it judiciously AT
the actual contact (B4 tightening),
not all over as in "a protective coating"…

Back