carter yfa carb throttle options on a 65 small log 200 ci?

Cali65

I picked up a reman carter yfa off a late 70's Ford truck with a 240 or 300 inline six a while back. I've reamed out the mounting holes to get it to fit my carb spacer. What are my options as far as the throttle since the stock one is not even close to the yfa carb linkage? It's a YFA with an electric choke and # 7505S stamped Into the lower body. Figured I could play around with this since the cars not moving while second gear in the trans is getting replaced.

I'm going with a Lokar setup when I convert to a 2 bbl. I haven't installed it yet but I think there's plenty of examples out there on how it's supposed to be done. It "shouldn't" be too hard but I've fallen victim to that assumption a few times...

Howdy Cali65:

I've pirated the whole system off of mid to late 70s Mavericks. Pedal, cable and mounting bracket to attach it to the valve cover for an across the valve cover system. Later, as an afterthought, I picked up a late 70s early 80s, "Powered by Ford" valve cover with some of the attachment bracket on the VC. Good Luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

Thanks for the replies! I didn't realize swapping one involves the pedals and such. I seen that setup on the mavericks and granada but never really paid attention to it. CZLN6 what year is your car did you put this in? Do you have any pics?

As CZLN6' mentions, the Maverick cable setup with bracket over valve cover and hanging pedal is a favorite and can be used with many different carburetor throttle linkages ...

OEM '76 Maverick YF carb on a 200 :

differnt :

have fun

Maverick 'hanging' cable pedal on the floor of a '61 ( the tunnel has been formed @ 1-2 inches wider to accommodate later trannys')

Howdy Back:

I used the Maverick system on a '65 Ranchero with a 250 engine and a 2 barrel conversion on the head.
Great photos PB.

Adios, David

AutoZone, Jegs, Pioneer are all probably cheeper than Lokkar.
Here in the NE USofHay there's no OEM left (all goes to the crusher when 10 yrs or older).
Flee-Bay often has the 'over-the-VC' brackets. It seems there were early cables (early '60s) then late
70s/80s by Ford in the cars. My bronk had it "in the middle" yrs.
Rod linkage is not so bad if U can find those. Just gotta switch the peddle/post fire wall linkage.

Try our search function to see, the guys have been pretty innovative…

Please stay in touch for more options & our pic!
AND
cuz I wanna C how the big six carb does on the sm six.
I know it flows higher but have not seen any 1 report back on road difference…

Thanks for all the photos and info guys. So what I need to find is a 200 or 250 powered maverick. What what would be the best years? I know of a scrap yard about an hour away from me that has several out in the woods but I don't remember what's still on them? I just want a little more ummmph...I know it's not going to do wonders.

So fast forward over a year later i finally got the 65 moving again, temporarily. I will try to post photos later on. I got second gear replaced in the trans year and put it back in then the car mainly sat for the carb swap. I almost got it back running again in Feb but I had to go out for what turned out to be quadruple Inquinal hernia repair surgery. I opted to fly to Florida and have the Desarda tissue repair done by Dr. Tomas in Fort Myers. My recovery from surgery has been long and rough, really rough. I just hope i fully heal from it in time.

Back to the car I read a post on vintage mustang forum where a guy did a yfa carb on a 200 ci 66 mustang. He took the original carb spacer and bored it out to fit the yfa. So I tried this myself and using a grinder with a carbide bit I coned out the spacer. A friend of mine helped me with the throttle linkage by making adapter plate to fit my original gas pedal and throttle linkage to the carb. He grew up making adapter plates and sticking other carbs on his 1974 300 inline ford truck. His favorite being a Mono carb on his 300 six.

He used a piece of plate steel, machine screws, carb ball and some braided wire. Now this has been purely experiamental really but it actually works. He used a grinder to make it fit the throttle linkage on the carb and gas pedal rod. I bought new gaskets and reamed them along with the carb mounting holes. He put permatex motoseal on the carb base gasket to help seal it. He ran a new copper line for the choke stove and I ran the wire for the electric choke to the ignition switch. By the way installing the ignition switch back in after having hernia surgery four months ago has been an absolute PITA!!! It's still not done yet.

I bought a 78 maverick breather assembly to use on it. With the original modified carb spacer the hood shuts with no clearance issues what so ever. On the breather I cut off all the stock flanges and sealed the holes using black silicone and bendable aluminum sheet metal cut to fit. I then painted it ford red to match the engine. My buddy tuned the yfa for me and its running great. I can't believe how easy it is to start it compared to the autolite, im pretty sure it needed rebuilding.

We drove it about 5 miles and it did really well. Then I pulled into my driveway and realized my LR wheel was smoking, lol. So now after two and a half years of the car sitting because of several variables going on either with it or me. I have to tear down the rear brakes to fix something else, lol. Regardless of that l'm happy its actually running again. Plus on another happy note I bought a rebuilt world class 89 mustang V8 T5 for $450 from a friend of mine whose a old school retired ford master mechanic. Finding a T5 in good working condition without a $700 price tag is pretty hard these days.

thnx 4 da update!!!
Boy, I thought I had health problems
getting in the way of vehicle wrk...God bless U for
ur own & how U don't let em stop ya! And friends to forward
the work-around stratigies needed to be drivin these fine vehicles.

The T5 and 240/300 YAF seem like great options for the system ur usin.
Do U know ur rear end gears?
What sz tire do U run?

Hi Chad,
My rear end ratio is 3.20 and my tires are if i remember 205/75-14, I think? I've been picking up parts here and there the last few years. I've got 5 lug spindles from a 76 granada, 57 ford sedan 9 inch rear with 3.50 gear 28 spline open carrier. And now finally a T5 with the conversion crossmember.

piece by piece, bro piece by piece.
Lookin good…
movin way faster than me. Got this rig in '83 (used it well all that time) but
no real 'improvements'. Mostly maintenance. Assembling a new drive line
s l o w l y…

Did U ever find the cfm rating of the 'big 6' carb?

Good buy on that T5 that is a performance mod with the close ratio 1-4 gears. Do you have a DSII ignition? If not you should look into it as it can bring you a little extra power and a better experience overall.
Do you have a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook? You should get one you will see what a beneficial resource it is.

No, i didn't find out the cfm unfortunately. Its a four year old reman by Urmeco. So it maybe really hard to find out the cfm of it. With core and tax i picked it up for about $30 at my local u pull it. The fuel filter on it looked new but i replaced anyway. Yes the previous owner had the DSII installed when he replaced the motor with a rebuilt one. I bought a copy of the falcon handbook when i first bought the car. It has great knowledge in it.

The YFA Carter ratings are from Ak Miller, and differ from the SAE and Holley SA book ratings, but all later carbs are 195, 202 or 233 cfm at 3" Hg according to my three sources. Its very important that all Ford carbs were supllied thru Autolie in 1970, so there is confusion on what is what.

The ratings differ from the Ford Falcon 6 Performance Handbook...the ratings from that book are SAE Ratings via an approved SAE source. I believe the Ford Falcon 6 Performance Handbook, but Ak Miller was employed by Autolite, so his ratings are CFYI.

See Page 42 from Peterson Publishing's "The Complete Ford Book" C.1970

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... 452/page-2

Your conversion is exactly like Frankenstang's viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72607&p=562727#p562727

and Asa's. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76871 and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76774

All tuning problems with YFA's are just PCV, ignition and metering rod "needle" and jet specification settings. There is a little in the rebuilding process, and about 85% of all rebuilt YFA carbs are in fact wrong for a small log 65 200 Mustang.

Ford got forced into using Carter YFA carbs by the need to hook into 1968 Autolite ignition and the IMCO and Thermactor hookups, right at the same time Chevrolet stopped using Carter carbs (although Carter still made Rochester carbs, millions of them, for Chevy and GM for many years)

Once you've got the right basic adaptor to mount it with enough proper clearance for the throttle blade...you got it made.

There is a reason this carb survived from 1950 to 1989...it was a brilliant, accurate carb with a lot of development work done on it by the Big Four automakers. And the basic design is very, very sound.

Thanks for all that info X. I didn't know that frankenstang and asa both modified the original carb spacer, I thought they machined aditional spacers.

Back