144/170 Carb Survey

adamscm

Hello All, I'm curious to hear from anyone running a stock 144 or 170 (not 200) as to what carb you are running. I have been using a Holley 1940 WITHOUT SCV because the engine advances too much with the SCV. I've also considered a Holley 1909 and early auto lite 1100. I have a std trans and auto choke. I'm looking for the best carb to go on the original 62 144 when I rebuild it.

I have a Holley 1909 off an early 60's 144 you could have for the price of shipping. i think the only thing wrong with it (other than sitting on a shelf for 30 years) is the ear is broken on the plastic cam part where the manual choke cable was attached.

I greatly appreciate the offer, but I've actually located a 1909 with auto choke, which is what Comets had. I'm going to try that--I've been running a Holley 1940, which was some kind of later-60's replacement carb if I read correctly.

I am running a Holley 1940 with SCV and automatic choke in a 1964 1/2 Mustang. It has been reliable, easy to tune and starts on the first crank on a daily driven car.

Howdy Back Adam:

Interesting question. Many factors, but after deep consideration here are my thoughts. I'd choose the Holley 1904/08 for a number of reasons; because they have the highest coolness factor with their glass float bowls, The 1904s were used on 215 and 223 engines in Ford and Mercury cars in a 170 cfm and with SCVs. In the early 1960s the 144/170 engine carbs were rated at 130/150cfm.

THe Holley Service replacement 1940 carbs would be my last choice. If the SCV is working correctly your LOM distributor is working correctly it is a fairly good system. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Adios, David

I also run a Holley 1940 with SCV and manual choke in my 63 Falcon. The engine is a stock rebuild other then a Pertronix and electric fuel pump (3.5 PSI). I have had zero issues in 9 years. Its my daily driver too. When the car is cold I don't even pump the pedal, reach in turn the key and it fires right up every time.
I have never run any other carbs so I really can't compare it to anything. It idles smooth, no bogging from a dead stop, So for me I give it a thumbs up.
I did pick up a Holley/Weber 5200 that I want to install hoping that it's as dependable as my Holley 1940 is.

Stock 1904 on my 144 before I pulled it this spring. Ran fine, never had any issues with it. First gear was always pretty peppy with the manual.

'68 170. '68 Carter YF, ele choke. (assumption) '68 distributor.

Summer - turn key starts w/in 5 - 10 seconds.
Winter - quick tap on peddle (sets 'step' on 'finger' @ carb linkage). Turn key, starts 5 - 10 sec.

There is no other steps in the process for me (i.e., manipulate gas peddle in ANY fashion) winter or summer. In about 7 min (yr. round) the ele choke has slowly 'gotten out of the way' and is no longer running that plate.

In about my 30th yr. of ownership the fuel had been formulated with so much alcohol my carb had gummed up during non-use periods I hadda flutter the peddle, hold it down, shove a bolt in the throat, spray in starter fluid, etc. I met U guys here, rebuilt the sucker, & all has been rosy since.

I decided to try the Holley 1909. I've got one on the way. I THINK from my research that this particular 1909 was originally intended for a 170, with a 150 cfm flow. The 144's first came with a 125 cfm flow. So hopefully, this will be a good thing. With the nice valve job I got and the larger exhaust manifold, hopefully it will do the trick.

Back